Need help with water cooling!

I've been wanting to cool both of my 7850's with a custom water loop for a while now. I've also thought about adding a CPU block into the loop to have a full custom water cooling loop, but at the moment i already have a closed loop on the CPU, however, its only an extra 60-80 dollars to add a CPU block in and that doesn't worry me at all, pretty much what i wanted to know is if a 240 radiator would be sufficient enough to cool 2 GPU's and a CPU. 

I don't plan on doing any major overclocking at the moment so I'm not to worried about keeping temperatures stable in an overclocked environment, i was just wondering if the temps would be alright with just a 240 radiator or would i need a 360?

Thanks for all your suggestions  :)

No that won't be enough. A 360 is still cutting it close...

Minimum rule is 120mm per GPU, 240mm CPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've been wanting to cool both of my 7850's with a custom water loop for a while now. I've also thought about adding a CPU block into the loop to have a full custom water cooling loop, but at the moment i already have a closed loop on the CPU, however, its only an extra 60-80 dollars to add a CPU block in and that doesn't worry me at all, pretty much what i wanted to know is if a 240 radiator would be sufficient enough to cool 2 GPU's and a CPU. 

I don't plan on doing any major overclocking at the moment so I'm not to worried about keeping temperatures stable in an overclocked environment, i was just wondering if the temps would be alright with just a 240 radiator or would i need a 360?

Thanks for all your suggestions  :)

240 is enough for a CPU only. You need at least a 480 or 240 + 240, ideally 360 + 240.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

No, 240 isn't enough. For that setup, I would want around 480mm of radiator space.

so what about 2x 240?

240 is enough for a CPU only. You need at least a 480 or 240 + 240, ideally 360 + 240.

alright, so a single 240 for the gpu's would'nt be enough?

The rule of thumb is 120mm fan radiator per component to cool + an extra 120mm to have some OC headroom.

The 7850's are not that hot, and 360mm worth of radiator should be enough, but it's better if you go 480mm, then you can still use the rads on a better loop down the road.

Get a couple of 240mm rads, get one on the front and another on the top.

IMO watercooling 7850s is not worth it, save the money and get a R9 290. But watercooling is a hobbie, and the point of it is making an overkill system that is never 'worth it' :) So I understand if you want to go ahead with it.

The rule of thumb is 120mm fan radiator per component to cool + an extra 120mm to have some OC headroom.

The 7850's are not that hot, and 360mm worth of radiator should be enough, but it's better if you go 480mm, then you can still use the rads on a better loop down the road.

Get a couple of 240mm rads, get one on the front and another on the top.

IMO watercooling 7850s is not worth it, save the money and get a R9 290. But watercooling is a hobbie, and the point of it is making an overkill system that is never 'worth it' :) So I understand if you want to go ahead with it.

Thanks very much mate, yea its more a hobbie for me, I'm very happy with my computers performance at the moment  and just thought id try something new.

Thanks very much mate, yea its more a hobbie for me, I'm very happy with my computers performance at the moment  and just thought id try something new.

Yeah, it's a very fun project :)

What blocks do you plan on getting for the GPUs? The EK-FC7850?

@josh7678 If it is possible I would highly recommend going with an all in one watercooling loop i.e the h220 from swiftech. First cool your cpu for the first couple months then add another radiator with a size range in the 240-280mm. Don't forget to buy a waterblock + coolant.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

alright, so a single 240 for the gpu's would'nt be enough?

It be a bit of a stretch. It's more about what cooling performance you're expecting. People get a 240 or 360 for dual 290X's and expect 50 degree temps under load, not gonna work. 

You can calculate it all precisely, water cooling doesn't have to be guess work. Find out the max. TDP for your components and look for the rads that can efficiently dissipate this heat @ the rpm you're comfortable running your fans. For your GPU's and CPU 240 x2 would be good. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

What blocks do you plan on getting for the GPUs? The EK-FC7850?

nah i was thinking more of a universal water block, such as the swiftek, alphacool or even the EK one, but not to sure. still trying to work it all out

@josh7678 If it is possible I would highly recommend going with an all in one watercooling loop i.e the h220 from swiftech. First cool your cpu for the first couple months then add another radiator with a size range in the 240-280mm. Don't forget to buy a waterblock + coolant.

im already using an all-in-one for my cpu and i was just thinking of upgrading to a full custom water loop.

What blocks do you plan on getting for the GPUs? The EK-FC7850?

once i purchase everything i will probably make a thread to 'show off' my setup. :)

once i purchase everything i will probably make a thread to 'show off' my setup.  :)

Would like to see that :)

Depending on what universal block you go for, pick a couple of heatsinks (copper ones aren't that expensive) for the Vrms.

Depending on what universal block you go for, pick a couple of heatsinks (copper ones aren't that expensive) for the Vrms.

yea got that sorted, thanks :)

follow my other post if you'd like to keep up to date with it :D

can you paint those copper heatsinks?

can you paint those copper heatsinks?

There are paints that are not that heat-restrictive, usually used in motors and electronics. But all paint does avoid heat transfer at some extent.

Automotive black paint (flat black) is easily obtainable and doesn't prevent much the heat transfer.

This would be suitable http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP124-Engine-Enamel-Gloss/dp/B000CPCRE0

Hi all 

I have a 750D and want to make a 360 rad work ( up top preferably ,instead of moving psu upfront with 90* tilt) I also want to use the D5 photon 270mm reservoir as i like its size ,looks ,and think it will cool better, with more liquid content than the 170mm 

It will be a reasonably basic system to cool, as i will probably only ever be using just one high end GPU 

However i will want cool,as I will be installing i7 4790K cpu on a GA - Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard,but only cooling the CPU at first, but when i have some $ i will upgrade graphics card and water cool it too, so thinking ahead.

So will a XT45mm 360 rad mounted above be good for i7 4790K + 1 high end card, or is it just not needed to cool the two, and is it better to go for floor mounted 240/280 thicker 60mm and have fans up top for more airflow threw case, ( seems to me that 45mm 360 is still better cooling surface area with 270 reservoir) or 360 rad 30mm + 2 x 25mm fans push - pull.

I have read somewhere that you can make a 60mm 360 work without presure on the MB ,as one brand is a few mm less size after fans mounted ?? ( 57mm + 2x 25mm fans )

Options :

1. 360 rad 60mm thick,and try and deal with MoBo pressure,like shaving fan ring ( but only push fans ) (85mm total)

2. 360 rad 45 - 47mm thick,no MoBo pressure ( but only push fans ) (70 - 72mm total )                                                      

3. 360 rad 30mm thick ,no MoBo pressure ( push - pull fans !) ( 80mm total ) 

4. RX 480 56mm thick ,no MoBo pressure  ( but push only fans ) ( 81mm total )

5. 240/280mm ,bottom or front mount ( push - pull fans ) (thick as you want in either config ) 

Im thinking option 3 or 4 best, maybe push - pull fans on a 30mm thick, better than a 45mm and  push? 

or option 4 as long as 81mm not hitting MoBo

Spent hours researching this, and think it will be easier if i get help,opinions, specific to my config,specs,as iv never done this, (only ever ambient basic ATX refits.)

Thanks in advance !  

Basic specs :

i7 4790K CPU

GA - Z97X Gaming 3 Motherboard

ATI Radian HD5850 1GB DDR5 RAM ( upgrade latter ambient cool for now)

8 GB Crucial 1600mhz RAM

XSPC D5 Photon reservoir pump combo + custom pipe and connectors + coolant.

Corsair HX 650W PSU (Should be fine for now) 

Hi I have a r9 290x and a i7 950 overclocked @ 4.22 Ghz with one koolance 360mm rad. My cpu temp running prime 95 for 12 hours is 76 degrees Celsius max and gpu temp after 12 hours of furmark is 49 degress max @ 1090/1380. The rule of thumb for water cooling is 120mm of rad per block with mild overclocking. If you are looking for a high overclock you need to add 120mm of rad for every 2 blocks.

3 blocks mild overclock= 360mm rad 3 blocks high over clock = 540mm rad.