WHAT?! Amazon patents taking photos on white Backgrounds?

pit5000

http://gizmodo.com/amazons-revolutionary-new-patent-taking-photos-on-a-wh-1573645285?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

i'm quite speechless on this one.

It's not a patent on a physical thing...

It's a patent on the end product of doing something lots of people are already doing... with a technique that lots of people use for their work...

Patent Wars just got even more stupid.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Really Amazon.

REALLY.

lolwut

Amazon you've had a pretty good run so far. Please don't fuck up now.

Edit: Title is a bit sensationalist. I encourage people to read the article. It seems Amazon is patenting their particular method of product photography.

U+WOT+M8+description+.+http+www.facebook

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

well, so will they fight jpeg? ive i have a png and just make it jpeg then it gets it automaticaly :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So am I going to be sued for having cruise photos of me on a white background?

Really Amazon? You were amazing and NOW you fuck up.

nm87RL8.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

*Starts getting crazy patent ideas to see if he can't implement*

how does this effect anyone??? Its so specific that no one will do it for any other reason than piss off amazon and even then, how can they prove the did it?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Mother of patent bullshit. Did apple buy amazon? Have I missed that? 

Not to seem like a arse, but does no one read the article? The title is misleading and is a bit editorialized.

From the article:

And while all that might seem ridiculous, there is a loose method to Amazon's madness. It tries to set itself apart by explaining that previous art would often useimage retouching and green screens. Tech Dirt explains:

Amazon's technique is apparently the purest of the pure, being only the photographer, the photographed object/person, the white background, a number of front lights/back lights and some sort of object separating the subject from the ground below it.

But while Amazon almost undoubtedly did not pioneer this technique as they claim, the fact remains that there is still pretty much no way to enforce the patent. The extensive and specific conditions listed mean that there is pretty much no way to either A) violate it or B) know if the patent has even been violated in the first place.

So it's not like this prevents taking photos on white backgrounds, and is hardly going to be enforced.

This GIF on the comments section of the article pretty much sums it up

714486719388043045.gif

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Maybe they were just preemptive and trying to protect themselves from a patent troll.

I highly doubt you are going to see Amazon start suing every major retailer.

Thread topic title is misleading and should be changed or the thread deleted. Have you guys read the article before posting?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The USPTO literally went against their own requirments for a patent, " Invention must also be: 1. Novel."  It is rediculous that Amazon got the patent.