Linus's Request for a smart lamp + charging station.

So, when are you going to make it? If it was milled from a solid peice of aluminium, and had at least two Qi charging pads I would buy one depending on the overall asthetic.

Needs an angled spot at the bottom on the side so that you can easily use your phone as an alarm clock and see what's on it.

Depending on how serious folks are about making something like this I do actually have a few ideas that might be helpful.

Needs an angled spot at the bottom on the side so that you can easily use your phone as an alarm clock and see what's on it.

Depending on how serious folks are about making something like this I do actually have a few ideas that might be helpful.

ya that should be easy to implement. and all ideas are welcome.

my college semester just ended so i have some free time. ill do a rough estimate for a prototype and update this thread. 

the most expensive part will be the light array and the brightness controls. and the aluminium too.

and all ideas are welcome

ya that should be easy to implement. and all ideas are welcome.

my college semester just ended so i have some free time. ill do a rough estimate for a prototype and update this thread. 

the most expensive part will be the light array and the brightness controls. and the aluminium too.

and all ideas are welcome

I would add a feature where it have an alarm speaker on the top or something.... I really need my alarm to be loud to get me up.. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I would add a feature where it have an alarm speaker on the top or something.... I really need my alarm to be loud to get me up.. 

ya... NO.. sorry that is just going to make this a gimmick. i want this to do one thing and one thing only. 

plus if i add a speaker, there has to be a amp and a bunch of other wires, best thing to do is to get a Bluetooth speaker and set it up yourself

As long as its not too expensive I may be able to find use for something like this. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

updated with angled shelf

@amintha1992

Can you include a timer on the light or something? I don't know if this would be realistic but it would be so awesome if you could set the light to turn on and off at a certain time of day. So if you were reading with the light on and you set yourself a certain amount of reading time, it would turn off and you wouldn't have to keep checking the time - you just keep reading until it turns off and you know it's time for bed :) While keeping your devices charging of course!

Also it then saves the effort of having to reach for the light switch when you're feeling sleepy... :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

@amintha1992

Can you include a timer on the light or something? I don't know if this would be realistic but it would be so awesome if you could set the light to turn on and off at a certain time of day. So if you were reading with the light on and you set yourself a certain amount of reading time, it would turn off and you wouldn't have to keep checking the time - you just keep reading until it turns off and you know it's time for bed :) While keeping your devices charging of course!

Also it then saves the effort of having to reach for the light switch when you're feeling sleepy... :)

its possible but its going to be so expensive to make and much more complicated. so i guess the first version will only have a dimmer 

Here's one I've started putting together in Solidworks:

post-653-0-26900500-1398563966_thumb.jpg

post-653-0-15931600-1398564018_thumb.jpg

post-653-0-19108200-1398564085_thumb.jpg

Specs:

• Angled smartphone rest supports phones up to 6.5 inches long and 4.5 inches wide
  • Base diameter is 10 inches.
  • 8 USB 2.0 ports for power.
  • NEMA plug for power.
  • Ethernet port for lamp use as a wireless access point.

It's only the base, but it's got rudimentary cable management (which I will be changing in the future), eight USB ports for devices, a NEMA port so you can run your laptop off of it, and an Ethernet port that, conceivably, could turn the lamp into a wireless access point when hooked up to your home network.

Sits right on top of a standard night stand, I'm dimensioning things as close as possible to a real lamp.

More ideas are more better, please suggest all the things.

EDIT: Added the angled smartphone slot.

EDIT: Added actual CAD models of the S5 for size comparison. Also reduced base size and some other dimensions.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Here's one I've started putting together in Solidworks:

Smart Lamp Prototype.JPG

Smart Lamp Prototype Cable Management.JPG

It's only the base, but it's got rudimentary cable management (which I will be changing in the future), eight USB ports for devices, a NEMA port so you can run your laptop off of it, and an Ethernet port that, conceivably, could turn the lamp into a wireless access point when hooked up to your home network.

Sits right on top of a standard night stand, I'm dimensioning things as close as possible to a real lamp.

More ideas are more better, please suggest all the things.

looks good but my problem is where are the devises going to sit? and this way there is going to a lot of wires all over the place? anyway to get that integrated 

looks good but my problem is where are the devises going to sit? and this way there is going to a lot of wires all over the place? anyway to get that integrated 

On top of the shelf with the cable management hole in it. The power cables plug into the USB ports on the side and go through the hole so they don't go all over the place (as much).

Maybe it could be integrated, will take a look.

Updated with the angled smartphone rest, supports phones up to 6.5 inches long (165mm).

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

wpirobotbuilder

It looks like you could fit 4 phone slots around that part of the lamp. That might sound excessive, but 2 would be preferred as a minimum (either siblings or couples). I know that isn't really the purpose of them in the way Linus asked for those, but hey, more storage space is never a bad thing imo.

Maybe make it so you can spin the lamp around on the top half. Like, the area from the top of the USB ports to the platform (including it) could be able to spin (albeit it should require an attempt and not be easy) or something.

Just random ideas. Obviously the wires would catch it but that shouldn't be relevant imo as going a full 360 degrees is unnecessary. 180 should be sufficient.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe make it so you can spin the lamp around on the top half. Like, the area from the top of the USB ports to the platform (including it) could be able to spin (albeit it should require an attempt and not be easy) or something.

That is a good idea, that way you can orient the base however you want while keeping the smartphone facing your bed.

That is a good idea, that way you can orient the base however you want while keeping the smartphone facing your bed.

I didn't even think of that. I was thinking more so you could access things on the opposite side of the platform without getting up. My laziness showing. 

That would aid in hiding any mass of cables as well as you could then orient the plug-in side towards the back of the table it would be on. 

A built-in wireless charging base could be on that platform part as well though:

1. The increase the cost of the thing quite a bit and might not be worth it (two different models maybe)
  2. The technology isn't exactly mature yet (which standard do you stick to?)
  3. That might create an engineering type problem with the spinning base (though I can imagine a way where both can exist, I can't imagine how fragile or not it'd be).
  4. What happens to phones or other objects with batteries that sit on the base but don't have wireless charging built it? That might be a non-issue, but I wouldn't want any explosions to happen.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@wpirobotbuilder

I think its good enough, only thing missing is cable management, maybe some slots in the disc to jam the excess USB cables for charging any device and leaving it on the disc. Oh and an on/off switch ;)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If you do this I will Kickstart. Please make it.

I'm really interested to see these ideas. I hope something comes out of all of it. I hope something gets finished so I can buy one :)