NVIDIA NEW DRIVER KILLS MANTLE IN BF4!!

I love it how they made the graph increments of .05 of an FPS to make the difference in BF4 seem huge.

Who cares, I get 70-130 fps with my crummy old 280x in BF$ nowdays. Which is plenty for the $$.

I'll upgrade december 2015 when I need to. Until then I'll be able to run everything the way I want it.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

And it's with DX11, so no special API tailored to their GPUs, but I want to see benchmarks from PCPer and Linus... or any respectable source for that matter.

Agreed we must verify the results! and it is nice to not have to do anything different to take advantage of it.

I love it how they made the graph increments of .05 of an FPS to make the difference in BF4 seem huge.

Who cares, I get 70-130 fps with my crummy old 280x in BF$ nowdays. Which is plenty for the $$.

I'll upgrade december 2015 when I need to. Until then I'll be able to run everything the way I want it.

You will need to upgrade for Star Citizen :D 

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I agree, but apparently nvidia thinks Star Swarm is important enough to make a graph about it. 

The pc also seems to have a 6 core intel extreme. Who has an intel 6 core extreme in their gaming rig? Seriously. Such bias, very manipulate.

nvidia only put SS on the chart because people care more about benchmarks than actual real world performance.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You will need to upgrade for Star Citizen :D

Which is at least one whole GPU generation away :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Someone fanboyed in their pants. What a mess!

There's a few problems though:

• The difference in BF4 with 290x between dx11 and mantle is far larger than 780ti between the old and new driver.
  • Does anyone have any idea what "normalized frames per second" is? How much is 0,07 nfps? Epic matrix derp.
  • Mantle still owns Star Swarm. If mantle becomes part of Dx12, then everyone, including nvidia, will benefit.

PLEASE stop spamming the entire page with a pointless nvidia image at the end. It holds no relavance.

my thread and i can put any image i want as long as it dont break the rules

in other words

DEAL WITH IT :D

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Any Nvidia related post I see by Ikihari I take it with a storage silo of salt.

So I shall wait for actual benchmarks but if this turns out to be true, holy shit that's amazing. Power in hardware all held back by software will be unlocked

Lol, these metrics seem as skewed as possible...

In the BF4 slide it looks like the old Nvidia performance was 1.17 and new 1.19, which means the new driver is 1.7 % faster than the old driver. Those kind of performance variations come and go between each driver release.

The dramatic improvements look nice, though I don't know where "up to 71% better performance in SLI" comes from... Sure the sli perfomance is also increased in those games since the overall driver performance is increased too, but that is around 47% in Rome II for example.

Also "Most of those slides were created with a system equipped with Intel Core i7 3960K"... Not sure what the system config for each comparison was.

Well I'm not bashing the improvements, nice work with the driver, but somehow you easily get an over exaggerated picture if you don't look at these it with a critical eye.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

isnt compatible with windows 7 and my 680

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I hope my GTX 550 ti gets this or i say  FUCK NVIDIA

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

i think this is a bit fanboyed..

Now i think AMD will do a mantle update and beat this if its true

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

This is why these "benchmarks" are meaningless and pointless:

Firstly, they are comparing an API to a driver.

Secondly, the point of Mantle is to remove the CPU bottleneck. Yes, you see little improvement with a 4960X and a 290X when comparing Mantle to DX3D11. We have known that for months. Mantle is intended to shine the most when you have a weak CPU.

To the methodology:

"most of the benchmarks were conducted using a 3960X" (they say '3960K' which is a SKU hitherto unknown to the market). Not "all". This means that the comparisons are bullshit. The point of benchmarking is to reduce the variables. You only change one thing at a time. They do not say at which clock speeds the parts were running, or whether or not they were overclocked or using custom cooling. They could have been using a stock 290X (which throttles due to a shit cooler) and an Kingpin 780ti clocked at nearly 2GHz with 8GHz RAM on LN2 for all we know.

To the results:

The graphs are marked in tenth-percentage increases. That means that those graphs show a 780ti beating an R9 290X by an incredibly small margin. If the R9 290X did 100FPS, the 780ti did 101.9 FPS. I also find it hard to believe, after what we know about how much an R9 290X with a 3960X benefits from Mantle, that the difference between DX11 and Mantle is so low.

So basically, I'm calling bullshit on the claim that the new nVidia driver "kills" the AMD offering. I'm calling bullshit on the idea that Mantle provides less than 1% increase in FPS, because we know that to be false. Just look at any Mantle reviews. Additionally, the one part of the bench rig named doesn't even exist (3960K).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

in other words

Well aren't you a bit of a d***. Everybody tells you to remove the huge nVidia photo because it adds nothing. Would you like to see a 4k wallpaper of a small logo on every thread?

Well aren't you a bit of a d***. Everybody tells you to remove the huge nVidia photo because it adds nothing. Would you like to see a 4k wallpaper of a small logo on every thread?

that would be intressting:D

(OP is a fanboy)

Cant even download this for my 64 bit win7..

in other words

ok 

3840x2400%20troll.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

"Normalized FPS"

What kind of a metric is this?

Normalized means that it is using something specific as 100%, in this case the r9 290X,and using that value to compare it with other graphics cards.

So for every frame the R9 290X  with regular drivers draws the GTX 780 ti draws 1.17 frames in BF4.

With mantle the 290X draws 1.06 frames for every frame the R9 290X with regular drivers draws in BF4.

With 337.50 drivers the GTX 780 ti draws 1.19 frames for every frame the R 290X draws in BF4.

And it's not distorting the numbers, it's just displaying them in way which is favorable.

They're basically just doing their job  extremely well.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Here is what worries me: Nvidia might be intentionally distributing under-performing drivers. They know they are way ahead of AMD's tech in pure horsepower but like a good poker player they don't want to show their whole hand. They likely keep the optimized and efficient drivers under wraps, in case AMD comes up with new hardware, or in this case a new API, that completely changes things on them. This means that AMD only thinks they're getting close to match Nvidia's raw power and then boom: Look at these pair of aces I had the whole time.

This is worrisome since it means that AMD is just not being able to compete and keep Nvidia honest. This is likely to intentionally slow down technological progress just like we've seen the same situation vs intel: Why should Intel worry about launching new products if AMD still can't match even their i5? Sure they can make some fairly inconsequential "upgrades" but there's no need to pull out their big guns and henceforth the entirety of the PC market suffers since neither intel nor nvidia are compelled to offer truly significant performance advantages, they just carefully calculate how much is needed to stay ahead of AMD. 

For all we know we could have a 20nm Maxwell powerhouse that would double the performance of a Titan today but why would Nvidia release that card if AMD is not even close to matching that? I'm sorry to say but for the sake of a healthy industry we need a third player to keep everyone honest but we might never get that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Considering the 780ti is 200-300$ more than a 290x [at least here, where they havn't shot up because of mining]

Well, where I live the prices of AMD cards didn't rise either but the 780 Ti only costs 50-100€ more so it is the p/p winner

144Hz goodness

The one listed is the Notebook one, here is the Desktop http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74838

This really doesn't show what cards it's compatible with though since the image shows bf4 benchmarks, yet the patch notes don't mention bf4.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

For all we know we could have a 20nm Maxwell powerhouse that would double the performance of a Titan today but why would Nvidia release that card if AMD is not even close to matching that? I'm sorry to say but for the sake of a healthy industry we need a third player to keep everyone honest but we might never get that.

Considering AMD and nvidia gets their chips made in the same foundries, I very much doubt that. That is the reason why the nanometer transistors are identical between the two.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro