Nvidia Shield? Worth It?

Aleks

The shield intrigues me, do you guys think it is worth the $260? If so, what are the reasons? And if not, why not? Thanks!

I use a ghetto sheild, I paid $20 for all the parts in total and used an olds x box remote

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

i do not think that it is worht it because i do not see myself using it because i heard the experience gets worse the farther you get away from your router 

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

ALL THE QUESTIONS HAVE! DO WE HAVE TO SPEAK LIKE! NOW!

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

ALL THE QUESTIONS HAVE! DO WE HAVE TO SPEAK LIKE! NOW!

..? I only see question marks in his question..

..? I only see question marks in his question..

worth it?

worth it!

not worth it!

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

No.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

It is very cool, but not worth the price tag. If it was more like $150-$200 I would get it.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

worth it?

worth it!

not worth it!

ohh the poll. lol.  Man, I notice that everything bugs you lol.  Everywhere I look on LTT there's something you don't like (!) :P

ohh the poll. lol.  Man, I notice that everything bugs you lol.  Everywhere I look on LTT there's something you don't like (!) :P

not all the time im just picky :P

Specs

nope. I bought one and it is just gathering dust now. It was awesome for the first week. But thats about it

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

considering i payed the equivalent of 413 USD, i think it is an awesome bit of kit - and i cant even use it for streaming" (amd gpu)

you have to ask yourself if you are into portable gaming - i use my iPhone and vita (and in the past my psp/pda/n-gage/ etc) and i think its great

some really decent android games and ports are really awesome to play with real controls, but

the main think i bought it for, was emulators which are AMAZING!!!  I bought this as a multi-role device, streaming netflix to my tv, emulators, android games, watching youtube in bed, i also use it as an OUYA, connect it to my tv via hdmi and use a bluetooth controller to play all my emulators/android games on the big screen

i find myself using it daily, im looking forward to streaming soon when i get my 780ti - but only buy it if you are interested in the rest of what it does, i can see why some people would find it gathering dust

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If gaming in the living room is your thing then maybe its worth it. But I suspect you can get a better experience from a htpc and Steam with streaming than you can from a shield. The shield only really wins because you can play on the loo or in the bedroom etc, its that mobility in and around the house that makes it good. I just don't see that being a compelling option for most PC games. Even the Steam controller and a streamed game is of somewhat limited capacity, its not going to give you a competitive solution in multiplayer. So no I don't think its worth it, seems like a very specific niche to me and one I don't fit in.

Its cool, but I don't see myself using one anytime soon.
I'm more into VR and Oculus #Nervegear

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

I've seen mixed reviews, some people love them, some people say it's "meh"

@TheSLSAMG has one and loves it he said. 

I really want to try one, but I don't wanna buy it :(

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I love mine. As an emulation machine, it can do pretty much any android emulators (besides dolphin). 

With touchscreen only games its still really good, with most games you can manually make button mappings with the built in button mapper (all face buttons, triggers and bumpers, the sound button (up and down volume) so I think 26 buttons) to map anything to how you like it.

Can't say much with PC streaming, I do not have a computer. But the Nvidia Grid beta is pretty good so far. I could see them adding a lot more games in the coming months

If you want to use it for gaming and if you don't have a problem with playing emulated old games, then I think that a Nintendo DS with something like an EDGE card or an R4 would be better. There's a really solid selection of games available and you could even buy most of them for just a few dollars each.

I personally upgraded to a 3DS XL a few months ago and tried to buy most of my games used. Really don't regret spending the money. For anything other than playing games, I will continue to use my old iPad2 and my phone.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Now that Nvidia has these on sale for $50 off, is it a viable option for $230 CAD? I was thinking about getting one and possibly upgrading my router to the new Linksys AC1900 upon release. Right now I only have a Dlink DIR 655 rev2. I'm kind of wary on getting one in case Nvidia releases a Shield 2. My guess would be that it have 1080p support, AC wireless, and just be better in almost every way. I've got a week to decide I guess.

The shield intrigues me, do you guys think it is worth the $260? If so, what are the reasons? And if not, why not? Thanks!

First off 199$ + Free shipping on Newegg

I might buy one, i'll start a thread giving you guys my opinion if I buy one.

Not any time soon though.

The Syndicate

I might buy one, i'll start a thread giving you guys my opinion if I buy one.

Not any time soon though.

I think the sale price only lasts until the 31st. I think we also get a bunch of updates next week. I might need to go buy a Kit Kat bar in celebration

First off 199$ + Free shipping on Newegg

Saw that too.  Once it hit's $150 though...

I don't feel its worth it at all.3ds would be a better choice