Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

This is possibly the best looking wall mounted pc build ever made. 

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

That stand makes it look like as if it will topple over if knocked a wee bit. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ugh I want it, I really do, I can offer a hot pocket and 2 cheeseballs?

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

This is the most exciting pc build I've ever watched.  I can't wait to see it finished and up and running.  It deserves a place on a wall in an art gallery. 

(or on my wall in my rabbitat...)

vKV6lw.png

zli35V.png

What program?

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

What program?

Concept Renders:

These were made using a combination of Autodesk Inventor and Blender, with the renders themselves being done in Cycles within Blender. I find planning builds like this in 3D can be a great idea as it allows you to play with things like colour schemes and alternate parts very easily.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Concept Renders:

These were made using a combination of Autodesk Inventor and Blender, with the renders themselves being done in Cycles within Blender. I find planning builds like this in 3D can be a great idea as it allows you to play with things like colour schemes and alternate parts very easily.

Did you have to hand model all the parts yourself?

What program?

Is it easy to use? 

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

@Maki Role

^Done the build, I was just pasting that for Captain Lazy

@Maki Role

Ahaha sorry I didn't mean to reply to that post

@Maki Role

Ahaha sorry I didn't mean to reply to that post

Coming along very nicely!

(So many damn notifications from this thread :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How did u get the water res inside the acrylic? 

Could be 2 pieces bolted together... but then how did u deal with making it water tight it looks so seamless

Holy moly, I go to the countryside for a couple days and boom... Let's work through a few of these:

Stop teasing!

All in good time ;)

That stand makes it look like as if it will topple over if knocked a wee bit.

Aah I was wondering if somebody was going to mention this point. I've actually designed the rig quite carefully so that the centre of gravity is almost dead in the middle of the acrylic sheet. The PSU's weight all sits at its base, which is sunken in, the majority of the rig's weight also comes from the plastic itself. Remarkably enough, it can balance on its edge without support as a result. Taking that into account, I've designed the stand so that it gently leans the rig back a bit onto the thicker buttress sides. This means that it would require a fair bit of force to topple over, the front feet are also fairly long, giving the stand a pretty wide base.

How heavy do you expect this whole thing to be with the coolant?

Do you think it'll be easily portable?  :rolleyes:

Yeah it's pretty hefty, something that I'll definitely be working on for the mark II. Until then, I guess it'll just mean more trips to the gym rofl.

This is the most exciting pc build I've ever watched.  I can't wait to see it finished and up and running.  It deserves a place on a wall in an art gallery. 

(or on my wall in my rabbitat...)

Cheers! Hopefully the final outcome won't be a letdown.

Every model used for the renders I made from scratch using measurements taken either from the actual objects I person, or from manufacturer spec sheets.

Is it easy to use?

That really depends on how much 3D experience you have. I've been using CAD program's for a good 9 years or so, so picking up Inventor was a very quick process. The rendering is probably the more in depth part. Some program's make this very simple, but you lose all the flexibility with that (Keyshot springs to mind here). Cycles, whilst still heavily in development, is a very capable renderer. It's main advantage is that it features GPU acceleration, which massively cuts render times. That recent render with the pastel coolant took only 2 minutes at 1080p, which is really decent given how heavy the model is. It takes time to learn rendering though as a lot of it is down to the nuances of the program you use.

Coming along very nicely!

(So many damn notifications from this thread :P)

Tell me about it, couldn't believe how many there were when I logged in this morning.

I wanna see how you make that riser black

I'll either be vinyl coating it or plastidipping it, both of those options should cope with the flexibility fine.

How did u get the water res inside the acrylic? 

Could be 2 pieces bolted together... but then how did u deal with making it water tight it looks so seamless

It's made from a milled block and a laser cut top panel. The water channels themselves have smaller channels milled around them into which I placed some o-rings. When all screwed together, the o-rings compress and create a tight seal. I've placed that panel around the back, so the front only shows the base of the channels, which gives a very clean look.

In other news, it seems the build was featured on MNPCTech's Facebook page! Big shout out to Bill Owen there, it appears to have been very well received by the followers over there. I also received all the rivets today, rather surprisingly. So that means I can also start working on the case itself.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

UPDATE!

I thought I'd let you all know what parts I've been working on recently.  Since the rivets and whatnot arrived over the weekend, I've been able to put my mind towards the flight case somewhat.  I'm only partly the way through (should have part deux up tomorrow) so I'll share where I've got to currently.

Step one, cut out some panels.  Got to make use of the circular saw for this, didn't think I'd be breaking that out out any time soon.

yjp2hv.jpg

Step two, make the parts even and the same size.  No workbench = ghetto floor setup

txaEEY.jpg

Step 3, make a ghetto box using veneer tacks.  None of this stage is structural, the strength comes later.  It's much better to build it as a whole box first, then cut it in half.  That way you know you'll have two halves that fit neatly together.  It would be a fair bit more challenging making two halves individually.

nbRJ6T.jpg

Step 4, used a jigsaw to cut the box in half, which was a very painless operation.  Then I cut out the vinyl sheets and applied them.  I don't care for the edges here as they'll all be under metal sections.

noET4l.jpg

Step 5, move to the kitchen to use a poorly constructed mitre saw to cut aluminium sections.  Honestly was the best place for it, a thick wooden countertop with a lip?  How could I resist?  

TB1eHF.jpg

I'll have some more time tomorrow to work on this, should be able to get it basically finished bar the interior.  I didn't order the foam as I wasn't sure exactly how much I'd need or which kinds, now I can make a more informed decision.

UPDATE!

is that just 1/8" plywood? 

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

fanceh

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

is that just 1/8" plywood?

It's 6mm so 1/4". The great think about flight case construction is that it's the aluminium that actually does all the load bearing. I wanted to keep the ply rather thin as the weight's already getting a bit out of hand, this should do fine once all the braces are in.

Nice kitchen! oh yeah and the computer case or whatever... :P

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Nice kitchen! oh yeah and the computer case or whatever... :P

That kitchen is my life I tell you.  Although like everything it seems, there simply needs to be more space.

UPDATE!

Had a decent amount of time today to get the case all sorted out.  It's now sitting at probably around 85-90% complete?  I didn't yet add the handles and am still waiting for the mid braces (which is why the lid corners are very rough) to arrive.  I've also just ordered the foam for the interior, wanted to wait on that so I could see how much of which kinds I would need.  The plan for the inside is to have a compartment in the roof where the stand, a keyboard and mouse can be stored for transport.

Added the top braces, which I had cut yesterday.

5dZmgf.jpg

I'm using sunken hinges, so had to cut out some sockets for them to rest inside.
2R5TGf.jpg

And fast forward to pretty much the finished article.  Yeah I got a bit carried away and forgot to take more pictures of the process.  It's mostly just a lot of drilling and riveting really.  Here's the front
qDbffh.jpg

And the back
89tFs5.jpg

rh1E5X.jpg