Amazon Prime Cost Increase Official

It's legit guys. Checked my email a few minutes ago and was greeted with this:

post-6820-0-18343100-1394714956.png

Not expensive for me imo so I'll keep paying. 

I'll add a source to my post as soon as the tech news outlets get a hold of this info.

EDIT: From an official news source:

The Verge

Amazon is about to raise the price of its Prime membership service for the first time ever in the US, bringing the cost up to $99 per year, $20 above where it's been for nearly a decade. The price change goes into effect on April 17th, and those signing up or renewing their service before then will still be able to pay the original, less-expensive price for a final year.

While Prime's offerings aren't changing alongside the price increase, Amazon is citing Prime's increasingly substantial offerings as reason for the jump. It notes that there are now more items eligible for free shipping under Prime and points to Amazon Instant Video, access to which is now included in all Prime subscriptions. Amazon is also reported to be working on a music streaming service, which could ultimately be bundled with Prime as well.

Prime's student rate will also rise, though only by $10, up to $49 per year. Amazon's chief financial officer warned that the company was considering raising the price of Prime between $20 and $40 earlier this year, at the time citing increased shipping costs as reason for the added expense. This is Amazon's second big price increase on a US shipping service in a matter of months: back in October, Amazon increased the minimum order needed for free shipping to $35, up from $25, where it had been at for over a decade. Amazon also raised the price on Prime in the UK and Germany earlier this year.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Prime is cheap in the US.

iW4MNno.png

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Isn't it because the dollar is a weaker currency? You also have to take into account that I'm a student so I get half off of the regular Prime subscrip price.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Isn't it because the dollar is a weaker currency? You also have to take into account that I'm a student so I get half off of the regular Prime subscrip price.

It's about 30% more expensive here than in the US without the student discount (which we don't get in the UK).  :(

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Ya prime in Canada is $79/year :/

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

It's about 30% more expensive here than in the US without the student discount (which we don't get in the UK).  :(

Yikes everyone outside of the US seems to get screwed with pricing lol. Living here isn't as expensive as most people make it out to be. Anyone that tells you that likely spends frivolously or lives in a densely crowded inner city. It's not uncommon for people living here to spend well above their financial means.

There's a lot at play, but the relative value of currency isn't the greatest metric (if the US dollar grows against the Euro or the Pound, was it because the dollar gained value or the others lost value?). When taken in a larger context (worldwide scale), the relative value of a currency has more meaning.

Luckily I'm still a student, but I think I might not renew my membership; I don't use it very much. Problem is, once I leave I can't go back to their reduced pricing.

Their reasoning is valid, they can't continue to lose money on Prime.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

There's a lot at play, but the relative value of currency isn't the greatest metric (if the US dollar grows against the Euro or the Pound, was it because the dollar gained value or the others lost value?). When taken in a larger context (worldwide scale), the relative value of a currency has more meaning.

Luckily I'm still a student, but I think I might not renew my membership; I don't use it very much. Their reasoning is valid, they can't continue to lose money on Prime.

Yeah I didn't do well in my economics class so I have no idea exactly how these things work xD

got the same email this morning. Glad amazon has student prime which makes it even more worth having. the amount of stuff I buy using prime for that 2 day shipping pays for it self by the 5 package. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5503908/amazon-prime-price-increases-to-99-per-year-in-us

this link explains more

its going to be 99$/year for normal prime and 49$/year for students but anyone renewing before april 17 will keep the old price

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5503908/amazon-prime-price-increases-to-99-per-year-in-us

this link explains more

its going to be 99$/year for normal prime and 49$/year for students but anyone renewing before april 17 will keep the old price

Updating original post to reflect this. Thanks!

I know this still isn't a terrible deal and all, but I'll probably just stick with the free shipping and just wait 5-8 business days.

Or if I'm desperate, I'll just make throwaway Amazon accounts and use the free Amazon Prime trial... >_>

Doesn't that say £79/year at the bottom? Last time I checked that wasn't the currency used in the U.S. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Doesn't that say £79/year at the bottom? Last time I checked that wasn't the currency used in the U.S. 

Last time I checked, I was referring to the OP.  The price of Amazon Prime is cheap in the US and I gave that image to compare it to the price in the UK.

Last time I checked, I was referring to the OP.  The price of Amazon Prime is cheap in the US and I gave that image to compare it to the price in the UK.

Oh okay. Sorry for the confusion. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

I know this still isn't a terrible deal and all, but I'll probably just stick with the free shipping and just wait 5-8 business days.

Or if I'm desperate, I'll just make throwaway Amazon accounts and use the free Amazon Prime trial... >_>

Sounds too troublesome haha. Where I live the shipping isn't even slow w/free ship through them. I usually get my package a day or two before the ETA about 70% of the time. However I love Prime for the sole reason the two day shipping is guaranteed and "free" for the low price of $50/year which pays for itself after so many purchases. I'm further incentivized to buy through them since I have a Chase card through them that gives me points redeemable for cash off of purchases. Smart business strategy to retain customers imo

• console/handheld games on launch day to my door without having to deal with Gamestop 
  • motorcycle parts that would otherwise be expensive to ship get here timely and for "free"
  • etc

Ya prime in Canada is $79/year :/

still. If you order lots from amazon the shipping can kill you. $80 is still not bad for a years worth of shipping

Prime is 50€ in my country.
But it doesn't really do much because you don't have to pay shipping if you buy something for 30€+.
And the shipping here is 3€ so I would need to buy at least 16 products that are under 30€.

I've never payed shipping for amazon ever.

RTX2070OC 

still. If you order lots from amazon the shipping can kill you. $80 is still not bad for a years worth of shipping

Yes but in the words of Slick and Linus amazon.ca sucks, amazon.com rules and half the time I find a product I want on amazon.com and it doesn't ship to my address. I then go to amazon.ca and the product I want is either massively overpriced,unavailable, or alot of money for shipping.

Amazon prime also only works for items that ship directly from amazon headquarters which isn't most items unlike amazon.com. <_<

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

iW4MNno.png

its not cheaper, he has a student account wtich is a fraction of the real cost, its the same as regular prime but no video streaming

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.