How to choose my first Apple computer?

Moraaaaa

Hi.guys.This is moraaaaa.

Because linus LOVES Apple products very much. I want to come here for some help.I need Apple operating system to develop app.So i need buy a mac i guess.I have only used iphone, this is the only Apple product I use. I am really confused because I noticed that there are many versions of Apple computers.I won't use mac to play games, I will only use it to write code and use adobe products (ps and ai you know.).I don't want to spend too much. Because I think the Apple product itself already has too much premium. And i am not Cult.So I want to seek some advice.And please forgive my terrible english.I have about $1800.thank you!

Get the new Mac Mini, upgrade it to the 6-core i5 model and call it a day. You can upgrade the RAM later, it's not super hard to do. The only real alternative is an iMac, I'd skip the base model and go for a 4K or 5K model. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, SidM said:

You can get the 13 inch macbook pro with touchbar.

Exactly at ur budget, 1799, 8gb ram, 256gb storage(get some external storage as well)

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Get the new Mac Mini, upgrade it to the 6-core i5 model and call it a day. You can upgrade the RAM later, it's not super hard to do. The only real alternative is an iMac, I'd skip the base model and go for a 4K or 5K model. 

Have you seen the process to get under the ram heatspreader/shield on the 2018 mac mini? It is a complete teardown and rebuild.

i'd probably go for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro without touchbar. The "lower end" one with the Intel i5, wich is powerful enough for most things.

11 minutes ago, Moraaaaa said:

Buy a used macbook with a 4th gen i7 and you'll be set

Or buy a mac mini with a 4th gen i7, but I think those are only dual core machines.

Or buy one of these and upgrade it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Or buy a mac mini with a 4th gen i7, but I think those are only dual core machines.

The older Mac Minis of the last gen have quad core processors, but Apple later decided to "upgrade" the quad core to dual core.

3 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Have you seen the process to get under the ram heatspreader/shield on the 2018 mac mini? It is a complete teardown and rebuild.

I've seen it, it doesn't impress me in terms of difficulty. Just slide out the logic board and have at it. Seriously, it's somewhat easier to upgrade than previous models because there's no fuckton of fragile cables needing to be undone.

4 minutes ago, OskarKE said:

i'd probably go for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro without touchbar. The "lower end" one with the Intel i5, wich is powerful enough for most things.

The dual core MBP is a really bad deal, though. It costs more than even a 6-core i7 mac mini. You'll trade an i7-8700 for a display and keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Yes, the Mac Pro 4,1 dual CPU model especially is awesome. You can firmware update it to be a 5,1 and with a GPU upgrade, you can run macOS Mojave.

The Mac Mini 2014 is indeed dual core only, the 2011 and 2012 had quad core i7 options. Retina MBP 15" 2012-2015 are also great machines.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, OskarKE said:

The older Mac Minis of the last gen have quad core processors, but Apple later decided to "upgrade" the quad core to dual core.

Why does anyone ever buy apple products? They all overheat too...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I've seen it, it doesn't impress me in terms of difficulty. Just slide out the logic board and have at it. Seriously, it's somewhat easier to upgrade than previous models because there's no fuckton of fragile cables needing to be undone.

The dual core MBP is a really bad deal, though. It costs more than even a 6-core i7 mac mini. You'll trade an i7-8700 for a display and keyboard.

Yes, the Mac Pro 4,1 dual CPU model especially is awesome. You can firmware update it to be a 5,1 and with a GPU upgrade, you can run macOS Mojave.

The Mac Mini 2014 is indeed dual core only, the 2011 and 2012 had quad core i7 options. Retina MBP 15" 2012-2015 are also great machines.

It seems that upgrading some hardware is necessary.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why does anyone ever buy apple products? They all overheat too...

• nice feeling hardware
  • good looking hardware
  • macOS is awesome

She/Her

What not to touch:

- the new Macbook Air (undervolted, throttling dual core trash)

- the Macbook (again, undervolted dual core trash)

- in fact, anything from Apple that comes with a dual core

- anything that doesn't come with an ssd and at least 8gb of ram

What to consider:

- the Mac Mini (the value is bad, but it's still the cheapest of the bunch and most configuration are acceptable - aka with a quad core, an ssd and 8gb+ of ram)

- the iMac (again, make sure it meets the minimum specs to be usable)

- the Macbook Pro (with a quad core chip)

What to consider buying used:

- a pre-2016 15" quad core macbook pro if it's cheaper than the other options

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, OskarKE said:

The current mac mini doesn't have a dual core version.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it's the same hardware as everyone else

same thing as windows, aside from like some music making stuff maybe, final cut, and required for iOS development.

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Moraaaaa said:

You can possibly just set up MacOS in a virtual machine so you don't actually have to buy a mac to do iOS stuff.

Spoiler

If you have the space, I'd go with an older Mac Pro (not the trashcan) and upgrade it. People think Macs are nice on the outside, but Apple had a great streak with their internals before this not-user-serviceable -fad. I'd just see what's available locally, make a shortlist from a few cleanest ones and research which one of them provides the best value through upgrades. You'll want to pick it up, they're heavy.

If you find no joy in hardware, you could consider building a Hackintosh?

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

it's the same hardware as everyone else

same thing as windows, aside from like some music making stuff maybe, final cut, and required for iOS development.

nope. Apple trackpads are a lot better than Windows laptops. 

macOS is very different from Windows. you're just wrong. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS is very different from Windows. you're just wrong. 

It's basically the same thing, except it doesn't really run games I guess

My thinkpad's trackpad has never failed me.

Spoiler

if you already have a pc with intel cpu and amd gpu chances are it can run mac os (hackintosh)

once you set it up it runs ok 99% of the time

Just now, Streetguru said:

It's basically the same thing, except it doesn't really run games I guess

macOS is unix based for one. that's a pretty big difference to me. 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

My thinkpad's trackpad has never failed me.

good for you. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS is unix based for one. that's a pretty big difference to me. 

good for you. 

I think I will use macox soon. I hope it is as good as you said.

Just now, Moraaaaa said:

I think I will use macox soon. I hope it is as good as you said.

i really like it. i hope you will too :) 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can possibly just set up MacOS in a virtual machine so you don't actually have to buy a mac to do iOS stuff.

yep i know it.

But as a developer actually has a mac is the best choice.It will avoid some unnecessary trouble.

Get the latest Macbook pro retina without the touchbar if you want the best for the buck.

But not offered new anymore, you have to find it in used market.

I really hate the new keyboard, its like hitting your fingers on to a plank wood, no tactile.

If you're confused with mac lineup, you'll be much more confused with Windows laptop lineup, numerous brands and configurations. All good, all cheap(er).

But really if all you do is writing code, the newest Macbook Air with "Dual Core" i5 (yuck!!) will be great!

It is a really good on the go laptop, great battery life.

At home get a 24 inch IPS LCD monitor and a usb-c - to hdmi / display port, a USB Mechanical Keyboard + usb-c to usb-a.

And you're golden.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w