The real difference between "Free-Sync" vs G-Sync

exyia

I guess we are all fanboys in one way or another. We are human, once we like something we will always stick with it and criticize the opposition to make us feel better . 

You!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU BE REASONABLE WHEN YOU HAVE 2 TITANS? 

You sir are not human.

You!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU BE REASONABLE WHEN YOU HAVE 2 TITANS? 

You sir are not human.

Me reasonable? No way, I am a fanboy myself. But if we want to be the "pc master race" to succeed, we must be reasonable on both sides. AMD and Nvidia, Intel and AMD. 

My Titans soon won't be relevant, everything great must come to an end. Maybe this year AMD might have a chance of winning . Only joking! :)

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The funny thing about the Nvidia and AMD war is that no matter which you own, you will always have a day in any given week when yours is better or worse for reasons that are invented as you go.

Like AMD is different "Mantle".

They are both holding PC gaming back with they're fighting outside of GPUs.

Stuff like PhysX,Mantle,G-sync needs to be PC only not AMD or Nvidia only.

Instead of fighting each other they should fight consoles.

they cant do something i coop because there will be no reason to prefere nvidia over Amd.

its like if Tesla join with toyota to bring in the market the ultimate Electric car, it will never happen because the technology used on tesla car is better and the work done will not be rapaid for the guy at Tesla if they join with toyota.

i dont know if i writed this right so just keep what i first said about nVidia and Amd xD

Intel3570k  at  4.5ghz 1.300v  Noctua NH-D14    Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1   AsrockZ77 Extreme 6/TB4     Corsair8Gb vengeance memory    120GB Corsair Force SSD     1TB WD black      NZXT Switch 810

he never "defended" his company

nothing was said that it couldnt be done for "free"

come to think of it money wasnt even mentioned

all that was said amd demo was show cased on a laptop. this is DIFFERENT to a desktop monitor.

for the reason that a laptop is different and that desktops use other video transfer methods (I.E cords - hdmi, dvi, etc -) That is why nvidia decided to develope G-sync.

so to you, i say Chill Out, stop being asshurt and, naive.

theres nothing wrong with this "discussion" he was merely trying to avoid people like you

I like you :) at least some people get it

it's depressing how few people can take things for what they are instead of associating every statement with fanboy, conspiracy, ripoff, or "owned"

Like AMD is different "Mantle".

They are both holding PC gaming back with they're fighting outside of GPUs.

Stuff like PhysX,Mantle,G-sync needs to be PC only not AMD or Nvidia only.

Instead of fighting each other they should fight consoles.

AMD is what is inside the consoles. They can't fight themselves.

PhysX is a very very very good technology it's a shame that it's core fundamentals are proprietary otherwise I'd be all for it.

Exactly. Better game physics is a good thing. It really confuses me why people would hate on PhysX as a general concept.

Open versus proprietary is another issue (but is still worth talking about).

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

When they were explaining this is in the demo it was quickly apparent that this was only for laptops.

For now. That is because laptops are the only ones that support vblank. However full size Displayport will have that feature in the new iteration coming this year. Whether or not monitors will have DP and implement this feature remains to be seen.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

If you read the article right, it's really just Nvidia grumping at AMD and trying to market that their stuff is better.What a freaking surprise right? lol, how about this, we just wait to see real world none AMD and Nvidia employees have a shoot at both technology, and then we will actually know the real truth to which one is better.

Damn, what is it with all this pissing contests lately between everyone

dXKzJvY_zpsc2af807f.gif

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

That's what an NVIDIA guy said. Like if you didn't know they always look for a reason how it CAN'T work.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I was sure I read somewhere that freesync was similar to G-sync on desktops, that it only required compatible monitors with displayport 1.3.

I could be wrong though.

Amd could bring this to desktop if it need be similar to the Nvidia solution, and to outshine them make the license free for any monitor manufacturer to include.

This really needs to be an open standard, there is no reason for innovation to be proprietary, there are so many minor tweaks other companies can make to a product to improve it, but have to pay royalties to bring their superior product to market, thus making their product more expensive and reducing the competitivity.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

I was sure I read somewhere that freesync was similar to G-sync on desktops, that it only required compatible monitors with displayport 1.3.

I could be wrong though.

Amd could bring this to desktop if it need be similar to the Nvidia solution, and to outshine them make the license free for any monitor manufacturer to include.

This really needs to be an open standard, there is no reason for innovation to be proprietary, there are so many minor tweaks other companies can make to a product to improve it, but have to pay royalties to bring their superior product to market, thus making their product more expensive and reducing the competitivity.

Yes, it needs Display Port 1.3 which isn't even out yet so there is no that monitor supports it.

Also G-sync does more then just changing the refresh rate.

RTX2070OC 

So now we have G-Sync for free, Mantle and H264 RadeonPro "ShadowPlay".... what do you have Green Team ?

Profit is what drives innovation. It sucks but they deserve it. 

Also, have you thought about the fact that G-sync is a hardware solution? It isn't even compatible with previous gen Nvidia's GPUs, whether or not it can work with AMD architecture is uncertain. 

It was clear that AMD had to make their move to come up with a tech like G-Sync, because it enables some resources for game developers to get into higher resolution, not only for consoles, and not even based on a future API. AMD waited to update to PCIe 3.0 because there's no reason for it with 1080p resolution, but since its 2014 (happy one to all ;)) and all saving up to buy their 4K monitor / TV / smart-TV to upgrade soon, AMD took a smart guess with DP 1.3, its a necessary interface and all displays will support it sooner or later.

I realy cross my fingers, that nvidia will announce variable vblank is gonna be supported by keplar gpus, not having one tech replacing the other for proprietary purpose.

Once the controllers which can do variable refresh (instead of locked at 60 fps) are in the displays, it's probably just a small tweak in the gpu driver to make use of it.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

So now we have G-Sync for free, Mantle and H264 RadeonPro "ShadowPlay".... what do you have Green Team ?

Mantle not out yet, so AMD doesn't have it. Free-sync not even close to being out yet, so you don't have it, and the h264, I don't think that updated and got pushed just yet. Just saying. Its kinda silly to boast about things that aren't out yet, without even knowing how it preforms. If it flops, boy will you look stupid.

H264 RadeonPro "shadowplay"? If it's an ability brought in by a third party utility (even free) it isn't really a feature you should add with the rest of the AMD features. RadeonPro is not official AMD software.

Mantle not out yet, so AMD doesn't have it. Free-sync not even close to being out yet, so you don't have it, and the h264, I don't think that updated and got pushed just yet. Just saying. Its kinda silly to boast about things that aren't out yet, without even knowing how it preforms. If it flops, boy will you look stupid.

All the nvidia stuff is in "frankenstein mode" of engineering and not out yet too. Its not even necessary to be out yet, people can play all new games in 2014 with 1080p res on ultra without all the upcoming tech.

Who cares if it flops it's for free. Now on the other hand if you buy a G-Sync monitor and pay that ridiculous 200$ premium then just a few months down the road you find out that it's a standard feature on all monitors, oh boy how stupid do you look then.

H264 RadeonPro "shadowplay"? If it's an ability brought in by a third party utility (even free) it isn't really a feature you should add with the rest of the AMD features. RadeonPro is not official AMD software.

That doesn't even matter. It's a feature that's available to AMD users and it's for free.

All the nvidia stuff is in "frankenstein mode" of engineering and not out yet too. Its not even necessary to be out yet, people can play all new games in 2014 with 1080p res on ultra without all the upcoming tech.

*coughs* G-Sync is out, you can go buy it right this second, don't try and lie about it. Nvidia does have an API, though it isn't really a Mantle type API. Oh and the Shadowplay does work pretty well from all reports I've heard from all my friends that use it. Its not perfect, but hey, it works. (I still need to be assed to try it, but I've been playing a custom modded Minecraft instance lately. I really am getting my head around Thaum4.)

And you're right, people can play without the upcoming stuff from AMD or Nvidia. . Hell, I've done it on the HTPC a few time (thats the one that has the AMD in it.) But bragging about something that isn't out yet, is kinda idiotic. You don't know how ANY of it preforms at all, not a single bit. I hope it does well, but I'm not going to go putting it on a gold mantle without knowing what it can do. Its dumb.

Who cares if it flops it's for free. Now on the other hand if you buy a G-Sync monitor and pay that ridiculous 200$ premium then just a few months down the road you find out that it's a standard feature on all monitors, oh boy how stupid do you look then.

That doesn't even matter. It's a feature that's available to AMD users and it's for free.

When will Mantle come out? No one knows. What kind of performance does Mantle give? Again, no one really knows. Oh sure, we have AMD saying something, but that doesn't matter. Thats not real testing. When will this "freesync" come out, no one knows. When will this standard DP1.3 come out? We hope Q2, but that isn't a promise. What is the performance of "freesync" on monitors? We don't know. We know the only testing that was done so far as we know is on Laptops which are totally different from actual monitors. I am betting dollars to donuts, they haven't even touched a monitor yet. When will the monitors be ready with DP1.3 (Yes more then likely you will be buying a new monitor, as of now I can't think of really any monitor you can update the firmware inside)? No one knows. There are too many what ifs to try and claim AMD victory this, AMD victory that. If anything, a fanboy could say some things about AMD. As I hate the fanboy shit, you can figure it out.

G-Sync is out, we know its benefits and drawbacks, you can buy it right now. You can even upgrade your monitor (if you have the right one) today if you wanted to. Would I feel stupid? Nope, not in the least. I don't see Nvidia changing over to DP1.3, for a few different reasons. One of which is the fact that you lose all DVI connections in the monitor using DP1.3 standard. Considering that is one of the ways to get Nvidia Surround, that'd be a bitch to give up. The other is they invested a crap ton of money, along with Asus in G-Sync. That and I don't think DP1.3 is going to be the answer. I think AMD is hoping it might work, but not sure if it will or won't. It looked more like a stunt then anything else from AMD.

As I said, I want AMD to do good, but you have to look at the facts and stop trying to play the Nvidia vs. AMD game. Its lame and stupid. Especially gloating over something that isn't even out yet, that not a single person knows what it can and can't do. Unless you have some inside information that no one on this forum has, that is, if that is the case, by all means share.

Edit: I'm going to leave my words in here, but it seems you lose DVI anyway with G-Sync. Blah for that not being reported, so I retract that statement but leave it there. I said it, not going to delete it.

*coughs* G-Sync is out, you can go buy it right this second, don't try and lie about it. 

A. Never be an early adopter

B. $700 ROG is unacceptable

C. TN panels 

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

A. Never be an early adopter

B. $700 ROG is unacceptable

C. TN panels 

A. Ehhh, personal choice. I've had good experiences being early adopter to tech before. That isn't a given, and acting like its some rule is stupid. You may not want to be, but then you'll be waiting a really long time then, while others will be enjoying it. So basically, you won't be adopting DP1.3, nor Mantle either?

B. Dafuq you talking about? Here, if they weren't out of stock they are $489.99 USD. And here for 499.99. And with Falcon and Maingear you can build your system with it. And here, in the UK it is £441.41 Inc VAT. Just stop while you are ahead. Or are you trying to refer to a product that isn't out yet, the new Asus 1440p monitor that they just announced and said would be releasing in Q2? Because that would be idiotic since I mentioned you could buy the G-Sync monitor right now. Which you can, just not that one.

C. And? I know some people prefer IPS, I actually have both IPS and TN and the games I like TN is better. I'm not one of those color enthusiasts that has to have perfect color. Not everyone is. Not to mention the monitor has always been a TN panel, I mean kinda stupid to point out that its a TN panel now. If you are referring to the new Asus monitor they announced at CES, how in the bloody hell are you going to bitch about a product you haven't seen very much information on? You know there are some amazing TN panels out there, that aren't total ASS? Again, this is what I was talking about above, you're trying to say "Look, this panel sucks because I said so. I may not have seen a real review on it, I may not really have seen it, know anyone that seen it, or touched it, but I'm telling you I know it sucks. Look at me, it sucks it sucks!" 

A. Ehhh, personal choice. I've had good experiences being early adopter to tech before. That isn't a given, and acting like its some rule is stupid. You may not want to be, but then you'll be waiting a really long time then, while others will be enjoying it. So basically, you won't be adopting DP1.3, nor Mantle either?

B. Dafuq you talking about? Here, if they weren't out of stock they are $489.99 USD. And here for 499.99. And with Falcon and Maingear you can build your system with it. And here, in the UK it is £441.41 Inc VAT. Just stop while you are ahead. Or are you trying to refer to a product that isn't out yet, the new Asus 1440p monitor that they just announced and said would be releasing in Q2? Because that would be idiotic since I mentioned you could buy the G-Sync monitor right now. Which you can, just not that one.

C. And? I know some people prefer IPS, I actually have both IPS and TN and the games I like TN is better. I'm not one of those color enthusiasts that has to have perfect color. Not everyone is. Not to mention the monitor has always been a TN panel, I mean kinda stupid to point out that its a TN panel now. If you are referring to the new Asus monitor they announced at CES, how in the bloody hell are you going to bitch about a product you haven't seen very much information on? You know there are some amazing TN panels out there, that aren't total ASS? Again, this is what I was talking about above, you're trying to say "Look, this panel sucks because I said so. I may not have seen a real review on it, I may not really have seen it, know anyone that seen it, or touched it, but I'm telling you I know it sucks. Look at me, it sucks it sucks!" 

Both things you said are free so there is noting to lose. Linus also said it's bad to be an early adopter, it's not just me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7627/asus-at-ces-2014 oh look, it's $800! even more! While those are cheaper, I could just get a monitor with Display port

I didn't even say it sucks. I just don't understand why people would ruin a beautiful game at 1440p by screwing up the colors! My desktop monitor (IPS) and my laptop monitor (TN) look completely different! I've seen videos on it already. 

You need to calm the fu*k down. Are you mad because you think I'm a blind Fanboy? I am a Fanboy but I'm not blind. I wear glasses tho...  B) (deal with it)

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Both things you said are free so there is noting to lose. Linus also said it's bad to be an early adopter, it's not just me.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7627/asus-at-ces-2014 oh look, it's $800! even more! While those are cheaper, I could just get a monitor with Display port

I didn't even say it sucks. I just don't understand why people would ruin a beautiful game at 1440p by screwing up the colors! My desktop monitor (IPS) and my laptop monitor (TN) look completely different! I've seen videos on it already. 

You need to calm the fu*k down. Are you mad because you think I'm a blind Fanboy? I am a Fanboy but I'm not blind. I wear glasses tho...  B) (deal with it)

Oh so Linus said it, so it MUST be true? *shakes head* Linus isn't the end all be all, I've had great luck being an early adopter of tech, being a beta tester of tech and games. But hey, you and he don't want to do it, thats cool. Like I said, its a PERSONAL PREFERENCE, not some golden rule that you think everyone should follow. Which is stupid when you think about it, because well... lets be honest if everyone followed his (and I am taking your word as I haven't heard him say it myself) and your rule, no one would ever touch it, and it would stay in the early phases and real people would not touch it outside the lab. Then YOU and HE would never ever use. Makes you think about things.

Covered that here pretty well above, so let me quote them, both posts, directly.

Or are you trying to refer to a product that isn't out yet, the new Asus 1440p monitor that they just announced and said would be releasing in Q2? Because that would be idiotic since I mentioned you could buy the G-Sync monitor right now. Which you can, just not that one.

*coughs* G-Sync is out, you can go buy it right this second, don't try and lie about it.

Yes, that one is $800 dollars, but of course you and I can't buy it today. I was talking about what you can buy today, this exact moment. Not some product that hasn't even hit shelves and was just unveiled. I don't know how good the panel is, so I can't say whether it is good or bad. Everyone at CES was raving about how good the panel looked. There are good TN panels that look amazing, and there are total ASS panels. Just like there are ASS IPS panels. I can say MY Personal  27" TN 144hz monitor is killer, and once I personally tweaked the colors it looks damn good. But hey, you have your preferences and they aren't mine. I can't dictate to you what is best for you, just like you shouldn't go around fussing and complaining that TNs all suck and everyone should have IPS. Its not the case, and shows an attitude that you know what is best for me, when you have no clue in the world what is what.