Check out my new clock

Hey everyone! I wanted to share my latest project that I did for myself, then my friends saw it and wanted one as well; so what I did was
designed a custom PCB, hacked together some firmware and based on feedback, people like it very much. ?

I've posted why I did it, how I did it and all of the source files on my website (https://sasakaranovic.com/projects/ring-clock/).

This is the idea that I had for a while; replace my mechanical clock that is awesome, but hearing it go tick-tock at 1AM is annoying, with something that looks
like mechanical clock but make no sound.
So I took some WS2812 LEDs that I had laying around, got the STM32F103, soldered some wires and that was it for the prototype.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also I was thinking about giving away some of the PCBs but they have all gone before I even got the chance to
finish writing the blog post. But if someone would like one, you can download gerbers and order from SeeedStudio, OSH or any other PCB fab house.

It's ok i guess, a bit low contrast... but i guess it light up reasonably at night.

Something even cooler would have been to use a fan or old optical drive motor to spin a blade with leds at a set rpm, like 600 or 1200rpm  (sync wth a hall effect sensor and permanent magnet on the edge of the fan case) ... with some nice two color smd leds you could have a nice clock face, that wouldn't light up the whole room

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Something even cooler would have been to use a fan or old optical drive motor to spin a blade with leds at a set rpm, like 600 or 1200rpm  (sync wth a hall effect sensor and permanent magnet on the edge of the fan case) ... with some nice two color smd leds you could have a nice clock face, that wouldn't light up the whole room

I don't know if you read the post at all, but one of the main reasons behind this project was to make a clock that has form factor of mechanical clock but is completely silent (since almost all mechanical clocks make noise). Using a blade with LEDs would be as loud as having a RC helicopter flying above your head or at best flying around your living room. It maybe look cool but completely useless for every day use. :)

tick-tak , mechanical, periodic sound is noticeabl

constant low humm, buzz etc is white noise, your brain gets used to it. in fact, people can get crazy in rooms that block noise, rooms where u start hearing  your own heart beat and blood flowing through veins.

a fan spinning at low rpm is practically not audible at a small distance (like 2-3 meters) - video is a poor example, with noisy motor running at high rpm.

How about this steampunk https://millclock.com/nixie-clock/32-in-12-nixie-tube-clock-walnut-wood-enclosure-handmade-retro-4-tubes clock? This clock having a lot in common with neon lamps this technology is still quite different providing that special charm of the Soviet Union when it was invented. This is the best solution if you want to add some interesting detail to your interior. It matches various styles - formal and informal and will operate for a long time.

I agree, Nixie tubes have a certain vibe that hey bring to every room. I'm definitely going to build one of my own when I get a chance.

Only downside is that Nixie tubes are so darn expensive since they are considered "luxury" item nowadays, which is understandable considering their use-cases.

I like that whoever looked at my clock, at a first glance they thought it's some kind of artistic installation or cool animation made with LEDs and then when they find

out it's a clock, they are even more impressed. :)