I think Samsung is trying to screw me!?! I require input!

First i just want to say that I don't have much experience on forums...so if this is in the wrong spot sorry about that...

So, I have a Samsung Induction top range with a Mosfet that shorted out. While switching the boards, I noticed the new Mosfet doesn't have any thermal paste between the heat sink and the backing of the Mosfet. Instead there appears to be a thin plastic shim. Is Samsung intentionally sabotaging its components to force people to purchase new appliances? I'm at a loss as to why they would do this...

Should i remove the shims and replace with thermal paste?

Should i just leave it in and repair the old board for the future?

Am I freaking out over nothing?

Old thermal paste

thumbnail_20181116_111345.thumb.jpg.7887979e00566a8b4124da5915739522.jpg

New plastic shims...

thumbnail_20181116_111337.thumb.jpg.5d218a8d660eee1a42a0d18a87de7f9c.jpg

thumbnail_20181115_165807.jpg

thumbnail_20181115_165819.jpg

thumbnail_20181115_170130.jpg

those look like thin thermal pads, not as good as paste but still good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

That's what i kind of figured at first, but I'm trying to at least find some online as a bit of a reference as to its function but i cant find anything. Do you know of any links to a product description of something similar? 

45 minutes ago, HDISolutions said:

So, I have a Samsung Induction top range with a Mosfet that shorted out.

They're IGBT's , not MOSFETS.

I noticed the new Mosfet doesn't have any thermal paste between the heat sink and the backing of the Mosfet. Instead there appears to be a thin plastic shim. Is Samsung intentionally sabotaging its components to force people to purchase new appliances? I'm at a loss as to why they would do this...

Should i remove the shims and replace with thermal paste?

First and foremost, thermal pads and heatsink compound (thermal paste) should never be used both at the same time. So the fact that there is no heatsink compound on the thermal pads is a good thing.

As for why they switched to thermal pads there could be many reasons. The IGBT's in the old board are electrically isolated, they don't have a exposed metal tab and thus can be mounted directly to the heatsink. Perhaps the new board has a other type of IGBT's that are not electrically isolated (not clear from the picture). In that case the pads are required for isolation, removing them would cause a short circuit in that case...

Perhaps thermal pads are just easier to implement in their (automated) production process...

In any case, it's safe to assume their engineers did their homework and the cooling capacity of the thermal pads is adequate for the job.

Should i ... repair the old board for the future?

While not impossible, beefy IGBT's like that don't really die without reason. There's probably some deeper defect that caused the IGBT to fail in the first place. Simply swapping out the IGBT is unlikely to fix it.

Thanks! I appreciate the absolute thoroughness of your post! I'm going to install the board and see where that goes. I had never heard of or seen thermal strips so i was confused as hell. The original IGBT's are the same make and model as the new ones so I'm not sure about the need for electrical insulation on the heat sink its self...I really am not qualified to say. all i know is  

plastic = heat

heat = reduced life

reduced life  = $ for samsung

<$ samsung = >$for Shawn 

>$ for Shawn = bad

plastic = bad

However if its a thermal strip then I guess I will just keep my pie hole closed...

Thanks again for the awesome post!

Not all devices should share the same ground. Plastic shims are used to isolate.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.