RYZEN home NAS build-- ON A BUDGET

Hello Everyone,. 

I am trying to do a home NAS build using a ryzen. 

The primary purpose for this will be to store data, and connect to the TV (4k) to showcase some of the work, and to watch movies(rarely). 

I do not want to spend on a dedicated graphics card. 

I want to run a RAID 5 array on FREENAS or other free NAS softwares, not sure if i should get a dedicated RAID card. 

Below is the part list - (i have left out the HDDs, since i will be getting some NAS rated drives after the build)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, blnswamy said:

connect to the TV (4k)

You can't do this with freenas, If you want to do this your best hope is a linux distro or windows. Id probably just get a seprate client though.

5 minutes ago, blnswamy said:

I want to run a RAID 5 array on FREENAS or other free NAS softwares, not sure if i should get a dedicated RAID ca

Freenas and linux have zfs for raid, and windows has storage spaces, so you don't want a raid card here.

Why ryzen? For this use, id personally get a celeron or pentium. You don't need the extra cpu or gpu power here, and celeron is cheaper and lower power too.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why ryzen? For this use, id personally get a celeron or pentium. You don't need the extra cpu or gpu power here, and celeron is cheaper and lower power too.

No specific reason.. 

I am also looking to see if i can do a ubuntu installation and get away with it. 

1 minute ago, blnswamy said:

No specific reason.. 

I am also looking to see if i can do a ubuntu installation and get away with it. 

You can install ubuntu and use it as a nas. Install zfs for raid(same as freeNAS) and install samba for filesharing.

I would do something more like this....keep in mind you don't need an SSD for FreeNAS, you can install it to USB.

You only need an SSD if you want to use it for L2ARC or ZIL, or if you want to put some VM's or something on it. A 250GB SSD would be plenty for this...

If you want to access your media you could install a Plex container and use plex on your Smart TV.

You could also just share the media, and get a Kodi box from eBay for $50. 

This is assuming you connect it via the network, rather than wanting to use it as a directly attached PC....which in that case you'd want a proper OS like Debian/Ubuntu or Windows (and an SSD to install it too..making this an HTPC rather than a NAS)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA