Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Excellent deal on DDR4 RAM but only 2400MHz

Fleelive
 Share

I found a great deal to buy Corsair's Vengeance DDR4 RAM (2x8) at a price well below the standard ($50+ difference). However, the RAM is only 2400 MHz and I am planning on using this PC for streaming as well (part of a dual PC setup). How much of a difference does it make in either a Ryzen 2700x or 8700k build? Should I go for the 3000 variant instead and pay a good amount more? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fleelive said:

the RAM is only 2400 MHz

What's the CL?

1 minute ago, Fleelive said:

How much of a difference does it make in either a Ryzen 2700x or 8700k build?

Ryzen likes 3000MHz+ RAM

2 minutes ago, Fleelive said:

Should I go for the 3000 variant instead and pay a good amount more?

If you're getting a Ryzen CPU, then yes.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

What's the CL?

Ryzen likes 3000MHz+ RAM

If you're getting a Ryzen CPU, then yes.

The CL is 16. 

Would you recommend Ryzen for what's most likely going to be a primarily streaming PC? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Fleelive said:

The CL is 16. 

Would you recommend Ryzen for what's most likely going to be a primarily streaming PC? 

2133MHz 2400MHz CL16 is hella slow, don't get it. 

 

The 8700K and 2700X are very close to each other in terms of streaming performance, but the 2700X is better from a value standpoint.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

2133MHz CL16 is hella slow, don't get it. 

 

The 8700K and 2700X are very close to each other in terms of streaming performance, but the 2700X is better from a value standpoint.

I'm looking at a 2400MHz though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fleelive said:

I'm looking at a 2400MHz though. 

Don't pair the 2700X with 2400 CL16 (I mistyped 2133 earlier). Get at least 3000MHz RAM for the 2700X. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Don't pair the 2700X with 2400 CL16 (I mistyped 2133 earlier). Get at least 3000MHz RAM for the 2700X. 

Gotcha, thanks. What do you think about the conclusion of the TechPowerUp article about the 8700k linked earlier? That'd suggest that this RAM isn't the best choice even for the Intel line. 

 

"The minimum memory frequency we would recommend for a high-end Coffee Lake system is 2666 MHz. Everything below that seems to have relatively large performance effects."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Fleelive said:

Gotcha, thanks. What do you think about the conclusion of the TechPowerUp article about the 8700k linked earlier? That'd suggest that this RAM isn't the best choice even for the Intel line. 

 

"The minimum memory frequency we would recommend for a high-end Coffee Lake system is 2666 MHz. Everything below that seems to have relatively large performance effects."

CL also makes a difference for Intel CPUs. Honestly, get at least 3000MHz RAM with whatever platform you choose. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

CL also makes a difference for Intel CPUs. Honestly, get at least 3000MHz RAM with whatever platform you choose. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm holding off on buying this deal of RAM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fleelive said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm holding off on buying this deal of RAM.

No problem!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

No problem!

is cl16 3000mhz fine or would cl15 be nessecary? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fleelive said:

I found a great deal to buy Corsair's Vengeance DDR4 RAM (2x8) at a price well below the standard ($50+ difference). However, the RAM is only 2400 MHz and I am planning on using this PC for streaming as well (part of a dual PC setup). How much of a difference does it make in either a Ryzen 2700x or 8700k build? Should I go for the 3000 variant instead and pay a good amount more? Thanks!

You can get a 16gb kit of decent 3000 mhz cl16 ram for $100 usd right now that would work perfectly well in either a ryzen or intel system. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313777&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

 

Main rig

Cpu: R5 1600AF 3.95ghz 1.32v (literally the worst bin I've ever seen)

Mobo: MSI b450 A-Pro MAX

Ram: 16gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem 3600 cl18 (3466 14-14-14-14-28) kinda tuned subs

Gpu: MSI 1080 ti Duke OC

PSU: Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w

SSD: 512gb Inland premium nvme

HDD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda Compute

 

Samsung Galaxy S9 | SD845 | Adreno 640

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

What cl should I be aiming for regardless of the MHz? I know next to nothing about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bas1k said:

is cl16 3000mhz fine or would cl15 be nessecary? 

3000MHz CL16 is decent

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×