Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2005 motherboards

 Share

I'm looking for a 2005 motherboard, doesn't matter which socket but I need a DDR2 motherboard. I'm also looking for the best gaming CPUs of the time for each. Asking for a friend since he is building a 2005 throwback build but he didn't really get into PCs until 2012.

Edited by Exomilav
Possible misinterpretation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Exomilav said:

I'm looking for a 2005 motherboard, doesn't matter which socket but I need a DDR2 motherboard. I'm also looking for the best gaming CPUs for each. Asking for a friend since he is building a 2005 throwback build but he didn't really get into PCs until 2012.

Go to a yard sale. Or a thrift shop. Or a flea market. Or the dump. LGA 775/AM2 prebuilts are as numerous as crabs in a strip club.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy an old gigabyte board. The cheapest lga 775 board (that allows overclocking) you'll find on ebay will be around $50-$70. The best CPU that most of those boards can support is a QX9650 or a QX9770. You'll find the former for about $100 on ebay, the latter for ~$300. Don't bother looking for anything better than DDR2-800, it's ridiculously expensive. Just buy some nice DDR2-800 and overclock it. The max those boards can support is 8 gb. Although 2gb sticks are significantly more expensive than 1gb sticks. 

 

Honestly I don't know why it's a retro rig. I still use an LGA 775 board for day to day tasks, and it's still perfectly capable of playing modern games at 60 fps at 1080p. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

w h o a i always thought the q6600 was cheaper, thanks for correcting me!

Today you can buy the 6600 for I think around 35-50 on ebay, while the 9650 is always around 100. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

w h o a i always thought the q6600 was cheaper, thanks for correcting me!

when you are looking at parts this old it makes almost no difference in price anyway, so you might as well go for the better one. 

 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Today you can buy the 6600 for I think around 35-50 on ebay, while the 9650 is always around 100. 

you just have to get lucky. i bought a lga775 motherboard for €5 from a store that sells used things, and it had a Q9550 installed. 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Today you can buy the 6600 for I think around 35-50 on ebay, while the 9650 is always around 100. 

also, https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/processors/m1329667829-intel-core-2-quad-q9650-3-ghz-quad-core-socket-775.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

 

€50=US$57

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

when you are looking at parts this old it makes almost no difference in price anyway, so you might as well go for the better one. 

 

you just have to get lucky. i bought a lga775 motherboard for €5 from a store that sells used things, and it had a Q9550 installed. 

Those "non" overclocking high end 775 overclock (via FSB changes) very well. Just gotta make sure the memory can handle it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

oh i was going by the price he sent me on the website of the link

that price is incorrect. look at what they are going for on sites like ebay. 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

You should buy it, that's a good price. I've never seen one go for less than $89 on ebay, most of the time it's around $109. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Those "non" overclocking high end 775 overclock (via FSB changes) very well. Just gotta make sure the memory can handle it. 

i OC'd my Q9550 to 3.7ghz stable... 

 

then the psu died and took the board, ram and cpu with it... ?

 

 

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You should buy it, that's a good price. I've never seen one go for less than $89 on ebay, most of the time it's around $109. 

i already have a Q9550 and a board still... and i have no use for it. my main 12-core dual-xeon machine is so fast i can do everything i need with it. i'd rather not buy it and let someone else who might actually use it have the opportunity to buy it. 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i OC'd my Q9550 to 3.7ghz stable... 

 

before the psu died and took the board, ram and cpu with it... ?

 

 

i already have a Q9550 and a board still... and i have no use for it. my main 12-core dual-xeon machine is so fast i can do everything i need with it. i'd rather not buy it and let someone else who might actually use it have it. 

I OCed one of those high end non extreme (Q95**) to 4 GHz (or maybe one step below) before the memory couldn't handle it anymore. (With the FSB at ~400 MHz) and only DDR2 800, the memory had to be overclocked so much that it wouldn't boot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I OCed one of those high end non extreme (Q95**) to 4 GHz (or maybe one step below) before the memory couldn't handle it anymore. (With the FSB at ~400 MHz) and only DDR2 800, the memory had to be overclocked so much that it wouldn't boot. 

i got to 3.8ghz on that Q9550 and i could boot into Windows but not much more after that. opening chrome would crash it. 

She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8GB Ram | 120GB SSD | macOS Monterey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i got to 3.8ghz on that Q9550 and i could boot into Windows but not much more after that. opening chrome would crash it. 

I was wrong, it was a Q9500 and it was to 3.9. :) And I didn't try to max it out, I got bored after trying 4 GHz and failing. (3.9 is stable even with OCCP)

 

Capture.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

I just got my Q9650 in yesterday and tossed a few games at it and it was well worth the 40 bucks I spent on it. I installed it in my EVGA 780i and it has 8GB of RAM and a GTX 680 and it plays Fallout 4 on all high settings (except God Rays which is set to low) pulling 20 to 30FPS with a hiccup here and there in a built up Sanctuary and out in the woods its hittn about 40 t0 60FPS but once I go in a store or tunnel it's a solid 60FPS. That was just one example and totally playable and this board used to have a E8400. so it's was an upgrade.

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Today you can buy the 6600 for I think around 35-50 on ebay, while the 9650 is always around 100. 

What eBay are you looking at? Q6600s go for $10-15, Q9650s for $30-40. There is no better value build out there for e-sport gamers than a $10 Q6600 with a tape mod, a $60 750 Ti and 8GB of DDR2 for $15.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

What eBay are you looking at? Q6600s go for $10-15, Q9650s for $30-40. There is no better value build out there for e-sport gamers than a $10 Q6600 with a tape mod, a $60 750 Ti and 8GB of DDR2 for $15.

The question is, what ebay are YOU looking at? I'd love to buy some 9650s for $50. I'd put them in all my 775 rigs. 

 

Capture9650.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The question is, what ebay are YOU looking at? I'd love to buy some 9650s for $50. I'd put them in all my 775 rigs. 

You're looking at QX9650s. Big, big difference. A Q9650 is going for about $40 right now.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You're looking at QX9650s. Big, big difference. A Q9650 is going for about $40 right now.

Ah, a simple misunderstanding. In my original post I did say QX9650, but then simply referred to them at 9650s after that. My mistake. :)

 

Honestly, with the way my QX9650 overclocked, I'd say go with the normal version. (It didn't overclock well) At least then you'll know it likely wasn't abused. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Ah, a simple misunderstanding. In my original post I did say QX9650, but then simply referred to them at 9650s after that. My mistake. :)

 

Honestly, with the way my QX9650 overclocked, I'd say go with the normal version. (It didn't overclock well) At least then you'll know it likely wasn't abused. 

My rule of thumb is always to go a step or two down from the best on a dead socket. The Q9650 still runs $40-50, but the Q9550 is about $25-30.

 

Of course, unless I need a Core 2 Duo for some reason (or a Pentium...ew), I just won't buy an LGA 775 processor that isn't a Q6600. There's just no reason to spend anything more than the $10.

Sincerely,

 

me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

My rule of thumb is always to go a step or two down from the best on a dead socket. The Q9650 still runs $40-50, but the Q9550 is about $25-30.

 

Of course, unless I need a Core 2 Duo for some reason (or a Pentium...ew), I just won't buy an LGA 775 processor that isn't a Q6600. There's just no reason to spend anything more than the $10.

Yeah, agreed. I bought this when my ONLY gaming rig was an LGA 775 board and I was new to building computers. It's funny, if you look at the top of the line QX9770 it still sells for freaking $250 (last time I checked). That's nuts for a 775 processor. Admittedly both the QX9650 and QX9770 were $1000+ processors in their day... but still. 

 

Also, with 775 you could try your luck with a xeon processor. Many ebay sellers even cut notches in the processor so they'll fit in a 775 socket. Just gotta make sure you have the right chipset. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

For Intel in 2005 there's 2 Options, Pentium 4 (HT Preferibly) or Pentium D, the Core 2 series came out in 2006 so would be a year too new for a 2005 system.

For the Pentium D that launched in 2005, the 840 is the fastest of those in 2005 at 3.2 GHz, the 3 cheapest of those on eBay are between $9.99 US ($13.08 Canadian) & $11.77 US ($15.41 Canadian), all 3 of those are in the US.

for the Pentium 4 HT there's 2 options for the fastest in 2005, the 670 & 672, both at 3.8GHz. No results for the 672 on eBay & the 2 cheapest results for the 670 are $27.26 US ($35.68 Canadian) with free shipping from China & 25 Euro ($37.30 Canadian) from Paris, France

 

With those prices in mind, I think the Pentium D would have the better value.

As for Motherboards for them, Socket 775 is the longest supported socket from Intel AFAIK, Early boards used DDR1 then DDR2 with DDR3 in the end. DDR1 came out in 2000, DDR2 in 2003 & DDR3 in 2007 so you would be looking for a DDR2 board.

Edit: any plans for other parts for the build, like a GPU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Letto said:

For Intel in 2005 there's 2 Options, Pentium 4 (HT Preferibly) or Pentium D, the Core 2 series came out in 2006 so would be a year too new for a 2005 system.

For the Pentium D that launched in 2005, the 840 is the fastest of those in 2005 at 3.2 GHz, the 3 cheapest of those on eBay are between $9.99 US ($13.08 Canadian) & $11.77 US ($15.41 Canadian), all 3 of those are in the US.

for the Pentium 4 HT there's 2 options for the fastest in 2005, the 670 & 672, both at 3.8GHz. No results for the 672 on eBay & the 2 cheapest results for the 670 are $27.26 US ($35.68 Canadian) with free shipping from China & 25 Euro ($37.30 Canadian) from Paris, France

 

With those prices in mind, I think the Pentium D would have the better value.

As for Motherboards for them, Socket 775 is the longest supported socket from Intel AFAIK, Early boards used DDR1 then DDR2 with DDR3 in the end. DDR1 came out in 2000, DDR2 in 2003 & DDR3 in 2007 so you would be looking for a DDR2 board.

Edit: any plans for other parts for the build, like a GPU?

Good information. On a side note, I've even seen a 775 board with BOTH DDR2 AND DDR3 on the board.... it was weird. I have no idea how that works. 

 

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41c-gs/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×