Sony sold 4.2 Million PS4's as of Dec. 28th in 2013, PS+ Subs up 90%, 9.7 Million games sold.

Article at GamesIndustry.

Sony reveals latest console sell through as of December 28, closes in on 5 million fiscal year sales target
The first holiday battle in the latest round of console wars goes to Sony. During the company's Consumer Electronics Show keynote address today, Sony Computer Entertainment president and group CEO Andrew House revealed that the company had sold through 4.2 million PlayStation 4s to consumers as of December 28.

Yesterday, Microsoft revealed that it had sold through 3 million Xbox Ones worldwide as of the end of 2013, calling it "a record-setting pace for Xbox." The Xbox One is available in 13 countries worldwide, while the PS4 has launched in more than 30 territories.

In September, Sony set a goal of selling 5 million PS4s through the end of March, a goal the system is now well positioned to surpass. The PS4 launched November 15 in North America, and sold 1 million units in the US in its first day on sale. By early December, the system had racked up worldwide sales of 2.1 million.

Well. That is lopsided.

I guess the bad PR really took a toll on M$. I was expecting a more even split. As a Sony Fanboy (due to growing up on the Playstation as my console of choice), I am happy the PS4 is "winning" thus far. 

Not that Sony can't screw up having the lead (please, no more data breaches), but whatever. I'm hoping this means Geikei (or wtv they end up calling it), Sony's video game streaming service, will be extra beefy (i.e. huge library, high quality connection, little down-time, etc). I am really looking forward to it.

Edit:

[uPDATE] 9.7 million retail and digital games sold as PlayStation Plus subscriptions jump 90%,

After the keynote, Sony released a round-up of updated facts and figures for the PS4. Through the end of the year, Sony said a total of 9.7 million PS4 games were sold, including both physical and digital copies. Among the best-selling titles were Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, and Sony's own Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Sony also touted the PS4's success in pushing subscriptions to the PlayStation Plus service, which is required for online multiplayer games on the system. PS Plus subscriptions are up 90 percent worldwide since the launch of the system.

Finally, Sony stressed the popularity of the PS4's built-in streaming capabilities, saying gamers have streamed more than 1.7 million gameplay sessions through Twitch and Ustream.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That's a lot of smelly console peasants.

1517418_711728802195123_1261779880_n.jpg

(FYI, PC Master Race but I love consoles too.)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This could be little off topic but every research indicates that PC sales are decreasing due to tablet and smartphones. And keep telling us PC is dead. But from what i believe, consumers are smarter now. Alot of young consumers build their own system. Instead of getting ripoff from branded PCs. No?

I bought a ps3 and gtav and a year of ps+ :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

This could be little off topic but every research indicates that PC sales are decreasing due to tablet and smartphones. And keep telling us PC is dead. But from what i believe, consumers are smarter now. Alot of young consumers build their own system. Instead of getting ripoff from branded PCs. No?

Not sure.

All I know is Steam is up to over 7 million online users at once. A new record. PC gaming is dead? No. Not by a long shot.

I bought a ps3 and gtav and a year of ps+ :3

I'm getting a PS4 and I have a year of PS+. 

I love it. :D

† Christian Member †

When people or investors state "pc is dead or dying" is a half truth statement. It's correct to say the pc sales are down. This is due to windows 8 release and increase in tablet sales. But what these people dont mention is the booming side of gaming pc sales of components and peripherals. You have to dig a little deeper in the numbers to find the whole truth.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I'm getting a PS4 and I have a year of PS+. 

I love it. :D

I want a PS4 and PS+, but I already have my Xbox One and Xbox Live.

I'm not really surprised, with the disastrous PR and them able to produce more units (at launch) could be the main factors.

I don't think Sony should have announced how well PS+ is doing, especially since it's mandatory now.

I'm still happy with my purchase, though. Not one regret, aside from the lack of friends who have one but my best friend is saving up for one currently, and will probably get one in the next six months. I'll be happy with the single player games in the mean time. (Ryse, Forza, and I want to get Dead Rising.) 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

But they're losing money of every console sold..

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

So they're gaining money if they just sit on store shelves or in warehouses? I should just buy 50 PS4s and put them in storage; a while later open the door and money should be pouring out! B))))))))))))

From the consoles itself. But their business plan isn't to make money from the consoles, they most likely knew they wouldn't years ago when development first started.

They make their money from licensing fees, online fees, and other more indirect fees that the end user may not realize. 

From the consoles itself. But their business plan isn't to make money from the consoles, they most likely knew they wouldn't years ago when development first started.

They make their money from licensing fees, online fees, and other more indirect fees that the end user may not realize. 

portion of game sales, yadi yadi yah... what people don't realize about consoles is that the companies aren't stupid; consoles exist and they are popular despite the will of the pc gamers because the business plan/the economics WORK.

9.7 million games sold? That's over 2 games per user, pretty damn good attach rate for a console on launch especially the one with the weaker launch line up.

Microsoft!! Hurry!! Buy all PS4 to take down Sony!!

Most of that research data and the analysts reporting it (and also claiming the PC is dying) are basing and referencing that data on sales of Dell, HP and other pre-built 'branded' computers manufacturers who are struggling to ship essentially modest entry level PCs (no need for causal users to keep replacing their computers for several years). Casual PC users are ditching their branded computers (or not upgrading to new ones) instead opting for smartphones/tablets cause all they need is internet browsing and light computing (Office, Facebook game etc) and even a Core 2 Duo or later gen Socket 775 CPUs are still more than capable for their needs.

More and more people are also building there own, or at least picking their own parts and have places like NCIX built their system for them. The PC as a gaming platform is growing and component manufacturers aren't struggling like brand computer companies are.

"Donny you're out of your element!"

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

PC Master Race

UYRSOom.gif

i think this is the best gif ive ever seen

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed