Searching for a new hobby

fastcar123

I'm looking for a new hobby.

I like to build and upgrade things to make them faster and perform better.

I'm already into PCs, cars, blacksmithing, audio, and electronics.

-My PC is already about as good as I need it to be. Any more upgrades will start to see diminishing returns.

-My car is in the shop now. Once I pay off the mechanics, I'll likely just leave it alone due to the $3000 cost of the repairs. 

-Blacksmithing requires a significant amount of time. That being said the place where I have it right now will not be available to me by the end of this year and ill have put all of that stuff into storage.

-Audio has the same issue as my pc

-Electronics require a need/want to change something and I'm happy with all of my electronics now. 

I've thought about getting into 3D printing, but I am a bit put off by having to calibrate the machine before each use and having it take multiple hours to complete a small print. Plus the initial startup funds are a bit steep.

Wood working and metal working are both things that I am mildly interested in and already do but as I mentioned earlier I will be losing my workspace here soon. 

What do you think? 

What hobbies do you have that you work towards to improve in some way?

Learn coding. You can build stuffs with it, check. You can upgrade it, check. You can modify it to make it perform better, check. You can potentially create something that will make your life or others easier. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

A hobby that pays you money is a great hobby to have, so a 3d printer would be good, also a cnc machine is good. Welding is good money but you need to spend a lot of money and spend 100's and 1000's of hours to become even remotely half decent. Flipping vehicles is good, repairing vehicles, building classic vehicles is good.

A cheap, low effort hobby : watch anime. It doesn't take much other than an internet connected device and a subscription to netflix/crunchyroll/funimation or any other services.

An occasional hobby : Fishing (catch and release... or catch to eat)

A hobby that you can make money out of : Small scale wood work, 3D printing little things, making accessories or any other thing where you make something out of something else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

An occasional hobby : Fishing (catch and release... or catch to eat)

Adding onto this, magnet fishing is super cheap and you can find everything from park benches to guns.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Try a sport

I started playing American football, best decision I've made in the three years I've been on it (which is funny since I always considered it to be a retarded sport)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 11/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, fastcar123 said:

I like to build and upgrade things to make them faster and perform better.

Cybernetics?

com.jpg

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

On 11/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, fastcar123 said:

What hobbies do you have that you work towards to improve in some way?

Recurrent Neural Networks.

I have an "AI" (I hate that term) that writes death metal lyrics for me, then converts them into notes, and then into "music"

It's weird, but a fun little hobby.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I enjoy restoring old tools from yard sales etc.   The tool doesn't have to be vintage or antique but its more fun if it is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Warhammer. 

Build/paint models, design armies. Learn strengths of armies, develop tactics. 

More popular than chess IMO. Customizable. 

One has to think about many things

Putting away money for retirement.

Not wasting time.

The amount of money you get for the effort put forth.

The amount of money you get for the hassle you get. Dealing with the general public is dismal, too many drama queens/kings and too many snowflakes.

Choose a good hobby that makes money while doing something you love.

If I had the time I'd get into woodworking and cnc. I am hoping to get something like an Xcarve sooner or later. Also Prop building is pretty cool. Check out therpf.com if you are interested. It's a great craft as lots of techniques can come together from woodworking to welding, vacuforming, resin casting, clay modelling, kit bashing etc etc...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

woodworking and cnc

Two interesting angles to the jangle there.

Is there a big market for propellers?

I think the cnc machines are amazing, but also 3d printers are good now too.

The 3D printer is where its at now, because you can make anything you want to.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Two interesting angles to the jangle there.

Is there a big market for propellers?

I think the cnc machines are amazing, but also 3d printers are good now too.

The 3D printer is where its at now, because you can make anything you want to.

at first I was really into getting a 3d printer but once I saw how messy misprints can get and how fragile the process is sometimes it kinda turned me off

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Try building musical instrument or parts, such as guitar pickups

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

photography, i promise you'll go 100% hobo status in the next few years, no need to thank me.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 11/13/2018 at 1:30 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Try a sport

I started playing American football, best decision I've made in the three years I've been on it (which is funny since I always considered it to be a retarded sport)

It is, but as you've figured out, that doesn't make it any less fun to play. There's a reason why people love watching and playing football and its definitely not because of the stories of TBIs that affect many of the people that have played their entire lives.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

24 minutes ago, zassou said:

photography, i promise you'll go 100% hobo status in the next few years, no need to thank me.

I second the idea of photography, but since you like working with your hands and making things, I would recommend taking a crack at film photography. The cameras are cheap/free if you can get one from a family or friend that doesn't want theirs anymore, You don't need a dedicated space for it (I do my own black and white developing in my bathroom), and if you get really into it, you can learn how to make darkroom prints, which I feel caters towards your inclination of making things. The only down side of film is the scanning, which takes along time unless you get one of those scanners that can can an entire roll of film automatically.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

5 hours ago, kting15 said:

It is, but as you've figured out, that doesn't make it any less fun to play. There's a reason why people love watching and playing football and its definitely not because of the stories of TBIs that affect many of the people that have played their entire lives.

and as a lineman, both d and o, do i get my huge load of fun.

travelling all over italy for the next game, going eat outside with the team after a game or training, events to promote the team, rookie nights, i wish i could do that for a living instead of my boring office job.

Yet still can't stand watching a game, and i'm still that guy that doesn't have a team to follow during nfl season

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I agree with most people here.

Personally, I do woodworking, blacksmithing and metal work.

I also fish, four wheel drive (overlanding), and camp.

Doing something with your hands, fixing things, creating things gives you this small sense of pride, and besides it being fun is why I do it.

Not to get too political here, but I think skills like these are fading nowadays with snowflakes that take up the majority of society. And it is very handy to know and learn these skills, so you can pass them on.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:49 PM, Canada EH said:

A hobby that pays you money is a great hobby to have, so a 3d printer would be good, also a cnc machine is good. Welding is good money but you need to spend a lot of money and spend 100's and 1000's of hours to become even remotely half decent. Flipping vehicles is good, repairing vehicles, building classic vehicles is good.

Building a helicopter is also cool and so is building an intercontinental ballistics missle. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

and as a lineman, both d and o, do i get my huge load of fun.

travelling all over italy for the next game, going eat outside with the team after a game or training, events to promote the team, rookie nights, i wish i could do that for a living instead of my boring office job.

Yet still can't stand watching a game, and i'm still that guy that doesn't have a team to follow during nfl season

The only football I watch is college football and even then I only watch Big 10 football and Purdue because that's my school and my conference. I couldn't care less about the NFL besides rooting for the Giants whenever they play against the Patriots in the Super Bowl because I'm from the NY area and its fun to see our mediocre team beat arguably the best team in the NFL in honestly the only game that people really care about during the season.

Baseball is my sport, though I know a lot of people who can't sit through a game of that too.

11 minutes ago, kting15 said:

college football

Is that the sport where you raise your hands after a touchdown its a penalty?