Will my gpu bottleneck my cpu?

Hi.

I'm about to update my 4 year old build a bit.  But I'm a bit unsure if the gpu will bottleneck anything. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

MSI x470 gaming plus

G.skill Trident z ddr4

GTX 1060 6gb

I mainly plan on streaming csgo.

Thanks

Yes, your GPU will bottleneck your CPU. That's a good thing, as your CPU isn't supposed to run at 100% where your GPU is ;) 

You'll be fine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

dude your good to through a 2080ti in sli in that thing and be fine. Especially if you overclock but even with out that you fine cause games will use 4-6 cores/threads and the rest can be used to send requests to the gpu which is a benefit to having more cores than games can use but the down side is games like clocks and ryzen isn't the best there but its still killer. I have a 980ti and a 1060 6gb SSC running sli over the pcie using different sli auto and im fine and see good scaling with a 1700x oc all core to 3.85 at 1.375v. The 1060 6GB is like if the 980 had 6gb of vram and the 1070-1070ti is like the 980ti if it had 8gb of vram.

16 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yes, your GPU will bottleneck your CPU. That's a good thing, as your CPU isn't supposed to run at 100% where your GPU is ;) 

You'll be fine.

u sure about that man ive seen benchmarks with the ryzen 7 line punching near the i7 line in gaming with the same gpu so no it wont. the gpu will be fine just physic tasks that cant be loaded on the gpu and other types of code wont be as fast but the cpu is more than fine.

i have a I3-7100 and a 1050ti an i get 45-60FPS with 1080p on medium to high settings

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

20 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

dude your good to through a 2080ti in sli in that thing and be fine. Especially if you overclock but even with out that you fine cause games will use 4-6 cores/threads and the rest can be used to send requests to the gpu which is a benefit to having more cores than games can use but the down side is games like clocks and ryzen isn't the best there but its still killer. I have a 980ti and a 1060 6gb SSC running sli over the pcie using different sli auto and im fine and see good scaling with a 1700x oc all core to 3.85 at 1.375v. The 1060 6GB is like if the 980 had 6gb of vram and the 1070-1070ti is like the 980ti if it had 8gb of vram.

I'm talking about the gpu not being able to keep up with the cpu, not the other way around :)

3 minutes ago, Glennstefani said:

I'm talking about the gpu not being able to keep up with the cpu, not the other way around :)

If you are doing it right then the gpu should be the bottleneck as this results in better for gaming. If you have a cpu bottleneck then you usually have alot more stuttering than if it's the gpu in my experience. I mean my 2080ti is technically bottlenecking me at 4k yet I am getting 90 to 120 fps in game so really it doesn't matter as it's smooth and an amazing experience. 

44 minutes ago, Glennstefani said:

Hi.

I'm about to update my 4 year old build a bit.  But I'm a bit unsure if the gpu will bottleneck anything. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

MSI x470 gaming plus

G.skill Trident z ddr4

GTX 1060 6gb

I mainly plan on streaming csgo.

Thanks

youll be 100% fine streaming CSGO

as for bottlenecking, yes your GPU will be the weak link here, the 2700x is a great CPU and could handle video cards up to a 1080ti just fine probably, but thats no reason not to get it. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you are doing it right then the gpu should be the bottleneck as this results in better for gaming. If you have a cpu bottleneck then you usually have alot more stuttering than if it's the gpu in my experience. I mean my 2080ti is technically bottlenecking me at 4k yet I am getting 90 to 120 fps in game so really it doesn't matter as it's smooth and an amazing experience. 

Thanks for the info :)

Just now, AntiTrust said:

youll be 100% fine streaming CSGO

as for bottlenecking, yes your GPU will be the weak link here, the 2700x is a great CPU and could handle video cards up to a 1080ti just fine probably, but thats no reason not to get it. 

Ok thanks.   I've been thinking of getting a 1080ti,  but feels a bit overkill since i just want to stream csgo.

cpus are almost always "Bottlenecked" by the gpu that's why the gpu is always pinned around 100% in a "perfect" system the cpu would be hit equally to the gpu meaning they both run at 100% but that's almost never going to happen as that would cause the whole game to come to a crawl.