Swapping capacitors psu osborne 1

Bwithnewcast

I was wondering if i could replace film capacitors with ceramic capacitors that has the same spesifications?

13 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

I was wondering if i could replace film capacitors with ceramic capacitors that has the same spesifications?

I would suspect caps are caps, and their functions are the same, so long as the design specs are identical. You'd probably get a more accurate answer from an electronics repair forum however.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I would suspect caps are caps, and their functions are the same, so long as the design specs are identical. You'd probably get a more accurate answer from an electronics repair forum however.

Thanks anyways

3 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Unlike @Radium_Angel 's claim,caps are not caps. There would be little use in having so much different types of capacitors if they'd all behave the same.

whether or not you'll be able to replace a film capacitor with a ceramic capacitor depends entirely on the circuit it's in. Each capacitor would have to be evaluated separately.

One of the main issues is the fact that ceramic capacitors change in value under DC bias. If a subcircuit applies a DC bias to a capacitor and requires any kind of precision then it's a no go. 

Ceramic capacitors also suffer from a piezoelectric effects. Mechanical vibrations can therefore affect the ceramic capacitor. Again, whether this is a problem or not depends on the circuit. 

Furthermore, film capacitors are typically available in greater capacitance / voltage values. You might not even be able to find a suitable replacement for some of the film capacitors.

Power supplies also use safety capacitors of the "X" and "Y" type in several places. Make sure you use proper equivalents of the same safety classifications when replacing those.

4 hours ago, Unimportant said:

Unlike @Radium_Angel 's claim,caps are not caps. There would be little use in having so much different types of capacitors if they'd all behave the same.

whether or not you'll be able to replace a film capacitor with a ceramic capacitor depends entirely on the circuit it's in. Each capacitor would have to be evaluated separately.

One of the main issues is the fact that ceramic capacitors change in value under DC bias. If a subcircuit applies a DC bias to a capacitor and requires any kind of precision then it's a no go. 

Ceramic capacitors also suffer from a piezoelectric effects. Mechanical vibrations can therefore affect the ceramic capacitor. Again, whether this is a problem or not depends on the circuit. 

Furthermore, film capacitors are typically available in greater capacitance / voltage values. You might not even be able to find a suitable replacement for some of the film capacitors.

Power supplies also use safety capacitors of the "X" and "Y" type in several places. Make sure you use proper equivalents of the same safety classifications when replacing those.

Well, there you go, someone who can speak a better answer!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Keep in mind that some caps, such as electrolytic, are polarized, while ceramic caps are not. It could be pretty...exciting if you put the wrong cap in the wrong place and it blew up. Best to replace the cap with whatever was there in the first place.

ASU