Spilled coke on GPU

tnw.skillz

Hey everyone, so my sister had coke dumped on her pc. She turned her pc on and the display wasn't working coming from the graphics card. Now I cleaned it up with iso alc and got all of the residue off of the card. Do you think that the card still has a chance of working? I just don't want to have to rip apart my pc to test it if there is a low chance of it even working. Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, tnw.skillz said:

my sister had coke dumped on her pc. She turned her pc on

i would suspect everything is dead at this point.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Well her pc turned on, and it displayed from the on board hdmi port, but the graphics display wouldn't work. Ill have to try the card after i reapply the thermal paste. Thanks for the responses everyone.

7 minutes ago, tnw.skillz said:

Hey everyone, so my sister had coke dumped on her pc. She turned her pc on and the display wasn't working coming from the graphics card. Now I cleaned it up with iso alc and got all of the residue off of the card. Do you think that the card still has a chance of working?

If it was powered on after receiving the spill damage, and failed to work, then there's a pretty good chance the card is dead.
Could have very well been a different story if it received spill damage, was not powered on, was cleaned off as you did with isopropyl alcohol bath and allowed to dry properly, it may have survived.

Only thing to do is to plug it in and try. You'll probably also have to clean the motherboard as well if you haven't already done so.

If any liquid spilled on or around your PSU then it should NOT be used. Do NOT attempt to open a PSU. If you believe it may have suffered spill damage, replace it. Do NOT attempt to power it on.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The only component that i salvaged from her computer was the gpu and the processor. I'd be testing it on my current configuration, which would be an msi z370. The Psu was vented down so the was some accumulation on the metal but nothing got into the fans luckily.

Edit: Fans/internals of the psu.

Update: Re applied thermal paste to the gpu and installed it in my system. After installing the latest drivers it worked! Seems like nothing was fried after the cleaning. 

Even still, i might put it through the dishwasher anyway. Cuz' High Fructose Corn Syrup.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic