[mini news] Amidst the October 2018 Apple event, they quietly added Radeon Vega as a discrete GPU option for the 15” MacBook Pro

Sources: Ars Technica, Apple 

C208A441-587A-42DB-9105-0B2ED8FFA315.jpeg.cd8000c7c250d5c7da7b10168b93e249.jpeg

Apple claims the new GPUs will provide up to 60 percent better graphical performance than the existing offerings. Currently, the best GPU available in a MacBook Pro is the Radeon Pro 560X. 

Vega 56 and 64 graphics cards are already available in Apple's iMac Pro, a machine designed for creative professionals and power users. Offering Vega graphics cards (like the Vega 16 and 20 CPUs) in the MacBook Pros brings more consistency to the high-end Mac lineup, as well as the graphics power some users need to complete complex and creative projects.

Apple hasn't announced pricing for the new MacBook Pro models yet, but they will be available to order in November.

89A4907D-B981-47D4-A417-0401C47140E8.thumb.jpeg.1bc7ab34b9813245dd9df3c55bb8cebf.jpeg

It’s nice that Apple is finally giving the MacBook Pro some good GPU options because at the moment it’s maxed out to a Radeon Pro 560X which is just an “okay” GPU according to reviews. But again, this is an Apple product so don’t expect it to be cheap. 

I just wish they’ll offer a MacBook Pro with Touch ID but without the Touchbar because the short time I used a friend’s 2016 MBP, the touchbar slows down my workflow like when editing a spreadsheet in Excel. Instead of just hitting F2 to edit a cell, I have to do press the Function key, then touch F2 on the touchbar. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'm happy for AMD pulling in some of that market share. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Why only 4gb memory? How does it stack up against the GTX 1070 Max Q of the Razer Blade 15?

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Why only 4gb memory? How does it stack up against the GTX 1070 Max Q of the Razer Blade 15?

It doesn't really...
The razer blade is a gaming laptop, this isn't made for gaming

EDIT: I got confused with another card, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if the vega 20 hovered around the 1070, but won't be beating it massively at all

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

14 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Because that is a single HBM stack...... Its a lot more power efficient compared to GDDR5

Also this is Vega 20. Not Vega 56 or 64.

There is quite the difference there.......

25 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Money. And I'm not sure if there are many use cases where it's bottlenecked by memory capacity.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Because that is a single HBM stack...... Its a lot more power efficient compared to GDDR5

Also this is Vega 20. Not Vega 56 or 64.

There is quite the difference there.......

Single stacks go up to 8 GB if necessary.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Single stacks go up to 8 GB if necessary.

Well, its bot like you need more than 4GB for what you are doing on a MAC

58 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well, its bot like you need more than 4GB for what you are doing on a MAC

I covered that in my post.

Just now, Trixanity said:

I covered that in my post.

Ik, i noticed after i posted my responce

I already covered this :3

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)