NAME                        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                                  8:0      0  74.5G     0   disk 
└─sda1                           8:1      0  74.5G     0   part 
  ├─mint--vg-root        253:0      0    71G      0   lvm      /
  └─mint--vg-swap_1  253:1      0   3.5G     0    lvm      [SWAP]
sdb                                  8:16    0 186.3G   0    disk 
└─sdb1                           8:17    0 186.3G   0    part 
sr0                                 11:0      1  1024M   0     rom 

It looks like It recognizes it, but not all 197 or  198 gigs like it should (I think). I have formatted it before (in Linux) but am willing to do it again.?

Your sda is the drive where your OS is on so don't install the game there if you wanna save space for your operating system(softwares and such)

Install the game to the drive sdb and the partition sdb1 which is the only partition on it. You can hit new folder in steam which will automatically create a folder call steam library on that drive to contain all your steam games. It is the same steps on Windows if you wanna install games to another drive/partition. 

Oh, btw, you are using volume group which means you are using lvm. You can easily extend the root partion with space from your 200gb drive if you need more space and are savvy enough. 

Ok, so I’m new to Linux Mint 19, and I’m having trouble with data management. I have two hard drives: one 80gb, and one 200gb. My problem is that (I’m pretty sure) Linux has determined that, for some reason, the 200gb is removable, and won’t share all data between the two drives. This has caused a speed bump in downloading games and the download stops and says it needs 8gb or so. I check, and I have 80gb free still! If someone could help find a way to get Linux to see it as internal or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I’m a newbie at the software stuff, so a straight forward answer of what should be done would also be nice.

2 minutes ago, Neverstoplearning said:

won’t share all data between the two drives.

Huh?

You have 2 drives. You have to manage what data goes on what drives, it won't move the data between drives for you.

2 minutes ago, Neverstoplearning said:

download stops and says it needs 8gb or so

Screenshot? What drive did you tell it to download to?

It downloaded to the 200gb but won’t continue to download for some reason unknown to me.

41264F32-7FA5-4B95-ABBB-C4F8CF7DAE99.jpeg

F197395B-F9D9-498A-915E-BCA68D872C2A.jpeg

C448E7B1-AAE1-4A95-8D66-52AD4721D693.jpeg

The drive is full so, it can't download it.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

6 hours ago, Neverstoplearning said:

It downloaded to the 200gb but won’t continue to download for some reason unknown to me.

First of all, you are using wine. So I suppose that old drive is NTFS, right? First of all, I would check it for errors in Windows with chkdsk /F C:\ or which letter that drive is.

First of all, you are using wine. So I suppose that old drive is NTFS, right? First of all, I would check it for errors in Windows with chkdsk /F C:\ or which letter that drive is.

Okay, so I've tried multiple times to boot a copy of windows with no luck. Is there any way to check my disk in Linux Mint?

25 minutes ago, Neverstoplearning said:

Okay, so I've tried multiple times to boot a copy of windows with no luck. Is there any way to check my disk in Linux Mint?

the ntfsfix command has a partially and basic ntfs file system checking, but nothing compared to the real chksdk 

you can try ntfsfix /dev/sdX, ntfsfix -d /dev/sdx, and ntfsfix -b /dev/sdx

Ok, did that and this is what I got.

the_gamer@thegameroptiPlexgx620:~$ ntfsfix /dev/sdX
Failed to determine whether /dev/sdX is mounted: No such file or directory
Mounting volume... Failed to access '/dev/sdX': No such file or directory
Error opening '/dev/sdX': No such file or directory
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... Failed to access '/dev/sdX': No such file or directory
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: No such file or directory
Failed to access '/dev/sdX': No such file or directory
Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.

Not exactly the best news...

So does this mean I should trash it, or is there some weird solution I have never heard?

1 hour ago, Neverstoplearning said:

So does this mean I should trash it, or is there some weird solution I have never heard?

With sdX I meant the number of your NTFS hard drive..

differs from system to system, check yours with the lsblk command, also note that sdX are disks, sdXY partitions

like /dev/sda2 or /dev/sdb4

Here is what I got now:

It looks like It recognizes it, but not all 197 or  198 gigs like it should (I think). I have formatted it before (in Linux) but am willing to do it again.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 11:20 PM, Neverstoplearning said:

Ok, so I’m new to Linux Mint 19, and I’m having trouble with data management. I have two hard drives: one 80gb, and one 200gb. My problem is that (I’m pretty sure) Linux has determined that, for some reason, the 200gb is removable, and won’t share all data between the two drives. This has caused a speed bump in downloading games and the download stops and says it needs 8gb or so. I check, and I have 80gb free still! If someone could help find a way to get Linux to see it as internal or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I’m a newbie at the software stuff, so a straight forward answer of what should be done would also be nice.

Well, it is removable and I'm sure so is Windows. Although on Windows, it simply hide that from you if it is internal disk. 

Problem is that you are installing the game to your 80 gig partition instead of 200gb. What are you using? Steam? In install option of game in steam, you need to select a directory that is on that 200gb else it steam will install the game in your home directory which is on your 80 gig.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, Neverstoplearning said:

Here is what I got now:

Your sda is the drive where your OS is on so don't install the game there if you wanna save space for your operating system(softwares and such)

Install the game to the drive sdb and the partition sdb1 which is the only partition on it. You can hit new folder in steam which will automatically create a folder call steam library on that drive to contain all your steam games. It is the same steps on Windows if you wanna install games to another drive/partition. 

Oh, btw, you are using volume group which means you are using lvm. You can easily extend the root partion with space from your 200gb drive if you need more space and are savvy enough. 

Sudo make me a sandwich