Second notchless fidget phone: Honor Magic 2

suicidalfranco
14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

kevlar is the best one i've seen on a phone this far

Anyone remember the Motorola Droid Razr with Kevlar on the back?

image.png.83de03c2c0f8d1997f215fc889799606.png

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

polycarbonate is nice when done right

like the HTC One X from 2012 which I think is way better than the shiny, flimsy polycarbonate plastic that is the Galaxy S3

image.png.18454e75f7afe81440b31fe0299c3dad.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Following Huawei press conference and the disappointing announcement that the Mate 20X wouldn't come to Europe (unless you import), Huawei's child company, Honor, as made an official announcement of their next smartphone: the Honor Magic 2.

Honor-Magic2-1.thumb.jpg.442194c57eeffe060383dff4898e7f80.jpg

First things first, the piéce de resistance: just like the Xioami Mi Mix 3 released before it, the Magic 2 features a almost bezel-less and notchless design achieved by using the same mechanism has slider phones from back in the early 2000s, the perfect fidget toy. Under the display we find 3 camera sensors and a speaker.

The display is 6.39" long, sports a 2340x1080 resolution with an aspect ratio of 19,5:9 (or the more logical 13:6 as it should be).

The spec rundown courtesy of XDA:

Obviously inside this phone we find the new Kirin 980 SoC from Huawei and just like the Mate 20 line up we have, what i like to define as a huge waste of space, a triple camera setup on the back. one normal, one ultra wide and one monochrome. Other borrowed features are the 40W fast charge, 3D facial scanning and on screen fingerprint sensor.

The presentation than goes on wasting people's time with an AI assistant named Yoyo no one asked and reveal of the new Magic UI 2.0, basically EMUI 9.0 re-branded.

The phone starts at 3799 RMB, or 480€/545$ for the 6GB and 128GB model, 543€/617$ for the 8GB version with the same initial storage option, 607€/687$ for the 8GB 256GB version and finally 733€/831$ for the 8GB 512GB model that will be released a couple of months after the first three configurations.

LAST MINUTE INFO: Sounds like the 3D facial thingy will only be available on the 512GB version.

The phone will come in three color variants red blue and black.

Inside the box will be included the 40W charger, a USB C to A cord, a case and the headphone jack adaptor, right forgot to mention that this phone does not include the headphone jack, instant garbage as far as i'm concerned.

Although the phone might be utter garbage considering the company and it's parent *cough*no way to unlock the bootloader*cough* i'm just glad that having a mainstream company like Honor releasing suck a device might finally mean that 2019 may be the year where we leave notch to 2018 and hopefully never attempt to look back at it. hopefully cause i want I want a new phone and and the past 2 years of devices have been vomit inducing to say the least.

Now if only OEMs would pick up another great idea from the past and start making phone bodies using polymers instead of the god awful metal and glass, that would balls to the wall, A. f-ing, AMAZING!

source: https://www.xda-developers.com/honor-magic-2-honor-watch-magic-honor-flypods-pro-launch/

True bezels, no notch, AND front facing camera via a sliding panel. That's true "courage". XD

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

Anyone remember the Motorola Droid Razr with Kevlar on the back?

image.png.83de03c2c0f8d1997f215fc889799606.png

like the HTC One X from 2012 which I think is way better than the shiny, flimsy polycarbonate plastic that is the Galaxy S3

image.png.18454e75f7afe81440b31fe0299c3dad.png

someone who understands. 

I'll let the normies enjoy there "oh so shiny" phones that gonna get put in a case the second after it's taken out of the box

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

A little different when people expect palm rejection to work when their entire hand is on the screen. Usually because the phone is just too big for one handed use with their hand size. 

not the entire hand, just the part that gets in contact with the side of the device

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

14 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I'd take the notch over a sliding phone any day.

It's ok to be wrong. You would rather have part of your screen blocked by a dumb looking notch than have a slider? I mean I would take a larger bezel like on the S9 than a dumb notch. I would take just about anything over a notch. 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

not the entire hand, just the part that gets in contact with the side of the device

Still, I can have a good amount of my palm touching the side and I have no problems.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's ok to be wrong. You would rather have part of your screen blocked by a dumb looking notch than have a slider? I mean I would take a larger bezel like on the S9 than a dumb notch. I would take just about anything over a notch. 

Except the notch doesn't bother me; I don't even notice it in use, but it does mean I have extra screen space compared to no notch and no slide and no irritation with having to slide my phone to make a call or use the camera.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

someone who understands. 

I'll let the normies enjoy there "oh so shiny" phones that gonna get put in a case the second after it's taken out of the box

Well the criticism for the Motorola phones for the most part is their legendary crappy cameras and HTC back then sucks at marketing. I remember in 2012 so many people bought a Galaxy S3 and I thought the flimsiness alone makes it ugly for me.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Except the notch doesn't bother me; I don't even notice it in use, but it does mean I have extra screen space compared to no notch and no slide and no irritation with having to slide my phone to make a call or use the camera.

It's ok to not be very observant and being able to be oblivious to the hideous notch that is the equivalent of someone's head being in the way at a movie theater. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's ok to not be very observant and being able to be oblivious to the hideous notch that is the equivalent of someone's head being in the way at a movie theater. 

Feel free to keep thinking that way, it's a great way to live life.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Feel free to keep thinking that way, it's a great way to live life.

It's not really a choice tbh. Having a piece if the screen simply cut out like that is just ugly and bothers me at my very core. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It's not like I choose to hate that sound it's just natural to hate it. 

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's not really a choice tbh. Having a piece if the screen simply cut out like that is just ugly and bothers me at my very core. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It's not like I choose to hate that sound it's just natural to hate it. 

You can dislike something. That doesn't mean someone is wrong, unobservant, naive, or *insert literally any qualifier here* for having different preferences or priorities. The same applies to the trend itself.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll try that one next time. "This phone screen is not wrong", "it is not broken", "it is a choice that you see the crack and dead pixels".

No one is complaining about screens extending the notifications past the camera notch. They are complaining about the notch encroaching into content (video/webpage/etc).

Lets just say, I don't see any wide adoption of notches on websites for a reasons. It's not because "notches are a great idea and a preference choice" when web developers start typing out their HTTP (just imaging a notch on your PC screen right now!!! XD ). In fact, I could go around with a sticker on millions of phones if a notch was better. Instant upgrade! But guess what, people don't do that... I wonder why?

30 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

You can dislike something. That doesn't mean someone is wrong, unobservant, naive, or *insert literally any qualifier here* for having different preferences or priorities. The same applies to the trend itself.

I never said you couldn't dislike something. I just said that opinion is wrong. Again it would be like some saying nails on a chalkboard is a pleasant sound and then they would be wrong. 

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

I'll try that one next time. "This phone screen is not wrong", "it is not broken", "it is a choice that you see the crack and dead pixels".

No one is complaining about screens extending the notifications past the camera notch. They are complaining about the notch encroaching into content (video/webpage/etc).

Lets just say, I don't see any wide adoption of notches on websites for a reasons. It's not because "notches are a great idea and a preference choice" when web developers start typing out their HTTP (just imaging a notch on your PC screen right now!!! XD ). In fact, I could go around with a sticker on millions of phones if a notch was better. Instant upgrade! But guess what, people don't do that... I wonder why?

A notch doesn't take away screen space; it adds screen space. It wouldn't make sense on a laptop screen that already has some form of bezel. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

A notch doesn't take away screen space; it adds screen space. It wouldn't make sense on a laptop screen that already has some form of bezel. 

It wouldn't make sense on any screen as it's a dumb design. 

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

It does not take away. But all the OS implementations I've seen do take away.

Hint, I worked a little in retail and electronics. Companies would upgrade a panel/cpu/material, but downgrade what drove the system (coding, supplier, colours) sometimes... so the customer thought they were getting better, but as a cost savings excercise, the company was delivering less/cheaper parts. (As said, not always the case, but with a notch, Apple don't and a few android providers do).

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It wouldn't make sense on any screen as it's a dumb design. 

Yes! A Laptop has a camera, speakers etc... why would it be dumb on the laptop, but ok on the phone?

seriously what's the fucking point of having three cameras? so that the companies can spy you in ultra high def? MUDA.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

21 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

1- so worthless since you'tr supposed to cover your oh so precious glass with a cheap plastic case

2- still one more thing that my 3 could do, that i'm supposed yo pay more to see it removed

3- warped picture, unwanted touch registers

1. there is no "requirement" to do so, just preference.

2. we've had non removable batteries for years now, time to put away those rose coloured classes.

3. Then don't buy it? There are non curved variants, and if your ham-fists are getting unwanted touches, flat screens are for you. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

23 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Now if only OEMs would pick up another great idea from the past and start making phone bodies using polymers instead of the god awful metal and glass, that would balls to the wall, A. f-ing, AMAZING!

Yeah, I wish they'd stop trying to copy iPhones. I miss the times when we had some choice between frame types, and quite frankly iPhone frames aren't particularly good. They just look good (subjectively).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

33 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

seriously what's the fucking point of having three cameras? so that the companies can spy you in ultra high def? MUDA.

I'd love to have an ultrawide (10mm), default (36mm), and telephoto (100mm+). Unfortunately there are practical limitations given the size constraint that make what I'd really like impossible. That being the case, more (non stupid) cameras isn't a bad thing.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wut... I looked this phone up just a couple of days ago and it said headphone jack... If that's not the case then it can piss off but I was going to get one :(

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016