Should I upgrade my phone?

XR6

Hi guys, I'm typing this from my phone so if I screw anything up that's why. So recently, I've been having issues with my phone (a Samsung Galaxy S7 that I bought brand new in April). Mainly the battery life is not very good. I leave my house at 8am with 100% charge and then I get home at 3:30pm and I only have about 50-55% on my phone. Keep in mind that for most of the day it's kept in my pocket. Another problem that I've been having is that sometimes my phone will randomly disconnect from wifi? I don't think it's a signal issue though as I usually get 4 bars (I've got 3 atm). There's also some weird stuff going on like some 287kb app I can't delete called "My Airtel", which shouldn't be on there as my carrier is definitely not airtel. Not to mention the phone just randomly crashes and hangs. Again there's more issues but it's 2am as I'm typing this and I really don't feel like typing on a small screen (5.2 inches isn't small but I've got big hands so it's hard to type). I'll update it with the full list of problems when I get back on my PC. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Battery’s Are very easy to replace, and s7’s are still pretty good. So I wouldn’t sweat it much.

I am faster than 80% of all snakes

cpu: AMD Fx-8350

motherboard: GIGABYTE 970 (am3+)

RAM: 16gb ddr3 adata

gpu: AMD xfx rx 560 2gb

psu: 500w

storage: 1tb hdd

I am what you call “budget gamer”

Just now, YourCrush1234 said:

Battery’s Are very easy to replace, and s7’s are still pretty good. So I wouldn’t sweat it much.

Thanks for your reply. The S7 works alright for me atm but the battery is quite an issue as I have a friend who owns pretty much the exact same phone a me, except we have different carriers and his phone is 2 years old. His battery dies in about 3 hours from full charge so I can see a battery replacement happening some time in the near future.

10 minutes ago, 1kv said:

You could root it and put a samsung bloat free OS on it.

Replacing the battery shouldn't be too hard as well.

Probably wouldn't bother replacing it unless you can find someone willing to take it in trade + cash for a Note 8 or something

https://www.tenorshare.com/android-root/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s7-or-s7-edge.html

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

You could root it and put a samsung bloat free OS on it.

Replacing the battery shouldn't be too hard as well.

Probably wouldn't bother replacing it unless you can find someone willing to take it in trade + cash for a Note 8 or something

https://www.tenorshare.com/android-root/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s7-or-s7-edge.html

I've been looking to root it and put oxygenos on it for a while now but if I void my warranty then that probably won't go well for me in the future lol.

Okay, I'm on PC. Should I take the risk of voiding my warranty or just sort of leave it as it is? I'm fine with my phone atm but I know it could be way better..

As a friendly heads up, be careful with your bootloader, if you unlock it, relock it, because I left my mom's Moto G5 bootloader unlocked and updated the phone, that's all it took to hardbrick the phone.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

Just now, Vasllo said:

As a friendly heads up, be careful with your bootloader, if you unlock it, relock it, because I left my mom's Moto G5 bootloader unlocked and updated the phone, that's all it took to hardbrick the phone.

Thanks. I appreciate the heads up! It could've saved me from wasting £250+ (and I don't have that kind of money as I'm a broke high school student lol). :) 

29 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

It depends on the phone.

My Moto Z has an unlocked bootloader. The moment it’s unlocked, it stays that way forever. Not even a full firmware reflash can relock it

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

It depends on the phone.

My Moto Z has an unlocked bootloader. The moment it’s unlocked, it stays that way forever

Okay. I'll do some research into it. Would it be worth voiding my warranty to flash a custom ROM onto my phone though as m quite good at dropping my phone on concrete..

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Okay. I'll do some research into it. Would it be worth voiding my warranty to flash a custom ROM onto my phone though as m quite good at dropping my phone on concrete..

ROFL

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It depends on the phone.

My Moto Z has an unlocked bootloader. The moment it’s unlocked, it stays that way forever. Not even a full firmware reflash can relock it

I didn't mean an update would relock it, nor a firmware reflash, you have to manually relock it AFAIK, but I'm talking about hardbricking the phone with an OTA update with the bootloader unlocked, that's what happened to me.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

10 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

I didn't mean an update would relock it, nor a firmware reflash, you have to manually relock it AFAIK, but I'm talking about hardbricking the phone with an OTA update with the bootloader unlocked, that's what happened to me.

That’s what I mean

Not a lot of phones can relock their bootloaders.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

That’s what I mean

Not a lot of phones can relock their bootloaders.

Well, it all depends if the firmware you have is signed or not as far as I read, it doesn't depend on the phone, I think.

28 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

Well, it all depends if the firmware you have is signed or not as far as I read, it doesn't depend on the phone, I think.

Well, on a Nexus or Pixel, you can use an ADB command to relock the bootloader. 

On something like a Moto however, once it's unlocked, it's unlocked. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Well, on a Nexus or Pixel, you can use an ADB command to relock the bootloader. 

On something like a Moto however, once it's unlocked, it's unlocked. 

Well, I saw people relocking Motos, so I guess it's just harder, seems like Nexus or Pixel doesn't require a signed firmware.