Which upgrade would go farther cpu or gpu

Lordopotat

Im currently running an amd fx 6300 with 16gb of ddr3 ram and a gtx 1050 ti, and i was wondering which i should upgrade first my cpu or my gpu, since ive been getting less than my preferred 60 fps in newer titles.  

For sure go for a CPU upgrade, especially with Ryzen being the hot thing (no pun intended). Pick up a Ryzen of your choice, some DDR4 memory, and a B350/B450 motherboard, and you're golden.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

if you're aim is framerate, the 1050ti won't be enough to power current games at 60fps.

it was never designed to do that. You need 1060 for constant 60fps, or better 1070.

but the problem is the FX cpu is a deadend, the platform is dead.

You can hold on to it for another year or two.

upgrading to AM4 platform will give you 5 years of headroom.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, seoz said:

For sure go for a CPU upgrade, especially with Ryzen being the hot thing (no pun intended). Pick up a Ryzen of your choice, some DDR4 memory, and a B350/B450 motherboard, and you're golden.

Ryzen is the coolest thing i've ever owned (pun intended).

Only 60c full load, with stock cooler! it's amazing. 

Hearing 9900k hit 90c shocked me.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Ryzen is the coolest thing i've ever owned (pun intended).

Only 60c full load, with stock cooler! it's amazing. 

Hearing 9900k hit 90c shocked me.

I hit 60°C full load on my i5-8600K overclocked to 4.6GHz, it's all about the cooling method, my friend. ;)

Although, my brother's Ryzen 3 2200G overclocked to 3.7GHz hits 45°C max under full load using the stock cooler which is decent, at least from what I can gather, I'm not familiar with Ryzen CPUs! :D 

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

so if im after higher frame rate i should get a 1060 or higher, but then what would be the benefit of upgrading my cpu then?

Just now, Lordopotat said:

so if im after higher frame rate i should get a 1060 or higher, but then what would be the benefit of upgrading my cpu then?

I am of the opinion that you upgrade your CPU and platform now, then you can save up for a GPU later.
I am at the part in that cycle where I am now saving up for a new CPU/MB. I go back and forth, saving up for CPU/MB, then GPU. I have a GTX 1080Ti right now, with a i5-6600k. Next upgrade will be CPU (Maybe Zen 2).

2 minutes ago, Lordopotat said:

with current card you may get up to 10% performance.

New cpu benefit:

- Higher Instructions per clock (good for games)

- Higher core count or threads (good for work)

- Lower power consumption and heat.

- Newer system, longer lifetime.

- Supports NVME, USB 3.1 etc...

23 minutes ago, Lordopotat said:

You won't hit high frame rates because the cpu will bottleneck. I had an fx 8350 and had it with a 1070 while i was waiting for ryzen 1 to release. The thing couldn't  push past 60 fps in any game and alot it couldn't manage 60 fps. The cpu needs to be upgraded to be able to take advantage of any gpu upgrade. Also the jump in performance from 1050ti to 1060 isn't enough to warrant the cost.