4 core "gaming router"

Steve.604

What is the benefit of these routers if any?

Will it help with multiple High Def. streams or is it all marketing hype?

Marketing hype, 'cause they know that throwing specs around and using the magical keyword gaming brings people to the product like moths to RGB.

Not much to benefit.

Companies keep putting the word "Gaming" in things to make people buy them.

Unless it offers plugin support (like plex and move transcoding) there is NO reason to buy one of these unless you have a very specific scenario you're working with.

If you just want good performance without killing the wallet, look into ubiquiti equipment.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

17 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Not much to benefit.

Companies keep putting the word "Gaming" in things to make people buy them.

Unless it offers plugin support (like plex and move transcoding) there is NO reason to buy one of these unless you have a very specific scenario you're working with.

If you just want good performance without killing the wallet, look into ubiquiti equipment.

Though their recent OS releases have had a few issues...

I went to ubiquiti's site. They talked about the number of cores they had in their "gateway"

Do cores matter? I'm looking for a new router, I see a lot of core talk.

I want to run multiple HD feeds, and have HD IP security cameras, will I benefit at all from a 4 core vs 2 core router?

1 hour ago, Steve.604 said:

I went to ubiquiti's site. They talked about the number of cores they had in their "gateway"

Do cores matter? I'm looking for a new router, I see a lot of core talk.

I want to run multiple HD feeds, and have HD IP security cameras, will I benefit at all from a 4 core vs 2 core router?

For basic routing, NAT, and stateful (SPI) firewall, you don't need much to keep up with even a gigabit internet connection. Where the number of cores (or more broadly the overall processing power of both cores and clock speed) of a router matters is when you start enabling features like Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) (shows you which computers are talking to which servers, as well as what type of traffic they are doing like video streaming, gaming, P2P, etc) and IDS/IPS (Intrustion Detection/Prevention System, analyzes every packet for the possibility that it may be harmful or unwanted). For example the lowest tier Unifi Security Gateway can do gigabit with DPI and IDS disabled, almost gigabit with just DPI enabled, but only 85Mb/s if you enable the IPS or IDS functionality. The other place where a router having a lot of processing power matters is if it can host other services, like if it has a USB port for an external hard drive and can act as a file server or media server, but I don't recommend relying on your router for functions like that as a general principle.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: