gtx 1070ti how to connect to psu

sluz

hey,

i just installed my msi gtx 1070ti that has a 6 pin and an 8 pin slot for psu cable. i have a modular psu, and im not sure if i did it correctly. 

so do i have to insert 2 separate cables (one 6 pin, the other 8 pin) or can i install it with a branch cable that has only 8 pins going in the psu, and on the gpu side has 6+2 pins and branches in another 6+2)?

thanks

you can do both! so feel free to choose what looks best to you

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Just now, SnowWolf370 said:

You can either use the cable that has 8 pins... Or you can use the cable that has 6 pins with 2 more you can attach.

Both are 8 pins, it's just one is made so it can be 6 pin only.. But you need to use all 8 pins, which you use is up too you. :)

i dont think you understand what i mean.

i did use the 8 + 6 but its on a single branch cable going to the psu. the other option would be to have 2 separate cables going to the psu (one 8 and one 6 pin)

3 minutes ago, sluz said:

hey,

i just installed my msi gtx 1070ti that has a 6 pin and an 8 pin slot for psu cable. i have a modular psu, and im not sure if i did it correctly. 

so do i have to insert 2 separate cables (one 6 pin, the other 8 pin) or can i install it with a branch cable that has only 8 pins going in the psu, and on the gpu side has 6+2 pins and branches in another 6+2)?

thanks

You can use the one that has two 6+2 on one side, it will be fine.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Just now, sluz said:

i dont think you understand what i mean.

i did use the 8 + 6 but its on a single branch cable going to the psu. the other option would be to have 2 separate cables going to the psu (one 8 and one 6 pin)

The 1070 Ti isn't that high power draw, so either option is fine. 

:)

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The 1070 Ti isn't that high power draw, so either option is fine. 

which one would be better, i dont mind having more cables if its "better" or more secure

16 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Wait.. Which 1070 do you have?

msi 1070 ti

4 minutes ago, sluz said:

which one would be better, i dont mind having more cables if its "better" or more secure

Technically, using two separate cables would reduce the resistance in the cables. 

Doesn't really matter, though. 

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

Technically, using two separate cables would reduce the resistance in the cables. 

Doesn't really matter, though. 

It would reduce the current flowing through the cables.

The Resistance of one cable stays the same, but with 2 in parallel you halve it.

And due to lower current you have also lower voltage drop in the cable and pins...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

It would reduce the current flowing through the cables.

The Resistance of one cable stays the same, but with 2 in parallel you halve it.

Well, yes, I know. I was thinking of both cables as one entity.