Ryzen 2700 (on sale) vs Intel 9600k

I posted earlier in the PC build section about building my first PC. I was pretty set on the 9600k for it. I'll primarily use it for 1440p gaming and Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop. I was also planning on Hackintoshing and dual booting it which is why I was planning on going with Intel. I don't do any video render or encoding. 

However, there are 11 hours left on a Amazon sale on the Ryzen 2700. It's C$96 off at C$290 vs C$350 for the 9600k. I was planning on waiting for Black Friday deals but this is such a killer deal and not much more than the 8400. 

Should I just yolo it and go for the Ryzen 2700 or am I better off waiting for a Black Friday sale on a 9600k or even an 8600k?

Intel CPU prices are higher than they were for now (due to a shortage), I suggest waiting until it drops down. 

🙂

2700 has a great value already, for adobe even more. and with that deal I would take it rather then a overpriced intel. get a nice mobo with it and you'll have a great time

about that hackingtosh, try running a vm of the official one, works way better and can be done easily. but I'm not allowed to tell you anything more about hackingtosh or things like that

The 2700 will be great in photo editing. The 9600K obviously will be as well but the 2700 will most likely be better suited anyways, even if it were a bit more expensive. It will also allowyou to spend a bit more on a GPU, which is what you’ll want for gaming

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

18 minutes ago, mlitttler89 said:

Are you asking between a 6 core 6 thread CPU and an 8 core 16 thread CPU? Should be clear which is the better value...

But why do you need to dual boot MacOS if you aren't using final cut?

You can run MacOS on ryzen

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

36 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are you asking between a 6 core 6 thread CPU and an 8 core 16 thread CPU? Should be clear which is the better value...

But why do you need to dual boot MacOS if you aren't using final cut?

You can run MacOS on ryzen

Though I do prefer OSx over Windows 10, I really only want it for GarageBand, Logic, and Mainstage. 

Running an AMD CPU on a hackintosh is really cumbersome, and you'll run into problems quite often. You can instead setup a KVM with GPU-passthrough if you insist on using AMD (although that requires a bit more setup than an Intel hackintosh as well)

Normal VMs without GPU passthrough won't have hardware acceleration IIRC

🙂