Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are seagates reliable

Snifferdog3
 Share

Hey. I had a old Seagate Barracuda from 2009 and it failed yesterday. I was thinking of getting a 2tb Seagate Barracuda 2016 from Amazon for £50 but I've been reading that seagates are unreliable. I don't think there true but I just wanted to get your thoughts. It's rated one of the best HDDs on userbenchmarks, so I hope it is pretty reliable. Thanks :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for me, I don't trust Seagate and prefer to paid more for even slower WD. But that is only my bad experience and yours may be different. All drives can fail, so it's more luck than science.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't really go wrong with WD, Toshiba/Hitachi/HGST or Seagate. I say it's fine.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its fine, you will always have people claiming brand A or B is better.

 

They have bad reputation because in the past there was not enough HDD production due to some difficulties in other factories so Seagate started selling drives that were not up to the same tolerances as normaly to meet the demand so the failure rates were higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a Western digital 2tb for the same price but it's only 5400rpm where as the sea gate is 7200rpm. I will have games on this HDD too so speed is pretty important. I think I'll stick with the seagate but what do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

There is a Western digital 2tb for the same price but it's only 5400rpm where as the sea gate is 7800rpm. I will have games on this HDD too so speed is pretty important. I think I'll stick with the seagate but what do you guys think?

I think the Seagate is a good option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you want to have disk for games, more important is to made partition (500 GB for example for 2TB drive) at the beginning. That partition will be faster than second partition. Anyway, difference between 5400 and 7200 in loading games you can see on youtube. Probably on lot of videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Hey. I had a old Seagate Barracuda from 2009 and it failed yesterday. I was thinking of getting a 2tb Seagate Barracuda 2016 from Amazon for £50 but I've been reading that seagates are unreliable. I don't think there true but I just wanted to get your thoughts. It's rated one of the best HDDs on userbenchmarks, so I hope it is pretty reliable. Thanks :)

If you have solid backups, then it doesn't matter what you buy.

FWIW I swear by Seagate for my critical stuff.

YMMV

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I think if you want to have disk for games, more important is to made partition (500 GB for example for 2TB drive) at the beginning. That partition will be faster than second partition. Anyway, difference between 5400 and 7200 in loading games you can see on youtube. Probably on lot of videos.

Ok thanks. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you have solid backups, then it doesn't matter what you buy.

FWIW I swear by Seagate for my critical stuff.

YMMV

Yes I'll definitely keep backups. I lost 400gbs when this drive failed....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing what happened to a few family members I wouldnt touch WD with a barge pole.

 

Seagate all the way.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also the pc is on about 6 hours a day. The os won't be on this drive but it will be doing about 2100 power on hours a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I think if you want to have disk for games, more important is to made partition (500 GB for example for 2TB drive) at the beginning. That partition will be faster than second partition. Anyway, difference between 5400 and 7200 in loading games you can see on youtube. Probably on lot of videos.

Please explain?

And 500GB partition for a games volume? That'll only be about 7 AAA games these days. :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Please explain?

And 500GB partition for a games volume? That'll only be about 7 AAA games these days. :D

It's about faster and slower sections of hard drive.

 

It may be partition for most important games if 500 GB is just for few games. :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

It's about faster and slower sections of hard drive.

 

It may be partition for most important games if 500 GB is just for few games. :)

 

 

All my games combined doesn't add up to over 500gbs haha. The games I play often are, beamng drive, stranded deep, car mechanic simulator 2018, pc building simulator, space engineer's. Can't think of many more that I play regularly but they don't add up to over 500gbs so I should be fine doing a 500gb partition for games :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have awhile to think about it anyway. I'm going to get a 250gb crucial mx500 ssd and then the HDD maybe next month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×