is my i5 8600k (not oc) running too hot?

my i5 8600k is running at tempratures like 85c when under full load when i play and stream battlefield 1, when i play without streaming it ussualy gets to 75c. i just builded this pc 3 months ago. i use the kotetsu scythe cooler (also recommended for this cpu in this forum). do i need to upgrade the cooler? and whatt would be a good alternative?

10 minutes ago, NielsKS said:

my i5 8600k is running at tempratures like 85c when under full load when i play and stream battlefield 1, when i play without streaming it ussualy gets to 75c. i just builded this pc 3 months ago. i use the kotetsu scythe cooler (also recommended for this cpu in this forum). do i need to upgrade the cooler? and whatt would be a good alternative?

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

not the cooler, it is the paste

Yea, most likely the problem is the paste. Or bad mounting, what thermal paste did you use?

6 minutes ago, NielsKS said:

It's toasty and you'll probably experience a little thermal throttling at 85c but it shouldn't be too bad. I don't believe that the temps are a representative of the cooler though. I'd re-paste the CPU and see if you experience any better temps.

If you're ok with liquid cooling I recently upgraded to an i5-8600k myself and I bought it a long with NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, my CPU doesn't go above 40c under load, I don't really know too much about air coolers to recommend a product there as I much prefer liquid coolers.

That Frostbite engine really likes to use CPUs to their max potential. Your CPU has to work for the full 100% constantly when playing and streaming BF1 as 6 threads is more or less the minimum for BF1 (and BF V) to run properly in multiplayer so yeah, that stresses the cooling to the max as well.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

what's the voltage like when it runs that hot?

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

31 minutes ago, Mholes said:

Yea, most likely the problem is the paste. Or bad mounting, what thermal paste did you use?

i used the included thermal paste, and im pretty sure i mounted it corectly i did everything according to the manual

85c is a bit high but far from dangerous. The Kotetsu can be overtightened for more performance if you haven't already done so.

What motherboard are you using and what's the core voltage at? Are you using default motherboard settings? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

85c is a bit high but far from dangerous. The Kotetsu can be overtightened for more performance if you haven't already done so.

What motherboard are you using and what's the core voltage at? Are you using default motherboard settings? 

i didnt overclock the anything and im running the motherboard at default settings. isnt it basd to overtighten the screws of a cooler, i just replaced the cooling paste and i dont think im comfortable putting them tighter.

20 hours ago, NielsKS said:

i used the included thermal paste, and im pretty sure i mounted it corectly i did everything according to the manual

i just replaced the thermal paste and now it runs  77c under heavy load, i can life with that. considering saving up for a beefier cooler.

Just now, NielsKS said:

i just replaced the thermal paste and now it runs  77c under heavy load, i can life with that. considering saving up for a beefier cooler.

it also seems to get alot hotter when the gpu is stressed (about 10c)

9 hours ago, NielsKS said:

i didnt overclock the anything and im running the motherboard at default settings. isnt it basd to overtighten the screws of a cooler, i just replaced the cooling paste and i dont think im comfortable putting them tighter.

Stock settings aren't the best if you are looking for lower temps. Intel CPUs tend to draw too much voltage if it's left to auto. Just setting manual/adaptive voltage will cure that. And I don't mean undervolting. Normal operating voltages for stock clocks are 1.1-1.2V.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Stock settings aren't the best if you are looking for lower temps. Intel CPUs tend to draw too much voltage if it's left to auto. Just setting manual/adaptive voltage will cure that. And I don't mean undervolting. Normal operating voltages for stock clocks are 1.1-1.2V.

just like this or should i just set it to 1,2?

18 minutes ago, NielsKS said:

Probably :D TTL is great on explaining things, I've learned much of OCing from his channel. I'll watch video later to check it further.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, NielsKS said:

Yeah, like what's done at https://youtu.be/xXSfTpQQ20o?t=300

but you can start at 1.2v and test for stability with software like OCCT. If it's stable, you can gradually lower the voltage to lower temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Probably :D TTL is great on explaining things, I've learned much of OCing from his channel. I'll watch video later to check it further.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, like what's done at https://youtu.be/xXSfTpQQ20o?t=300

but you can start at 1.2v and test for stability with software like OCCT. If it's stable, you can gradually lower the voltage to lower temps. 

and this wont affect performance if its stable right?

2 hours ago, NielsKS said:

and this wont affect performance if its stable right?

No. Underclocking would. But as you are only limiting voltage, not even downvolting, it does not do anything to performance. Stock voltage is 1.1V,but when left auto, mobo will raise it to 1.3-1.37V. When 1.2V at most is needed. I've had my CPU running mild OC of 4.0GHz (100MHz over turboboost) with 1.15V for past 5 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

there are more options for the voltage then there were in the video due to the update from click 4 to click 5. do you know wich one i need to change for the undervolting?

MSI_SnapShot_00.bmp

5 hours ago, NielsKS said:

there are more options for the voltage then there were in the video due to the update from click 4 to click 5. do you know wich one i need to change for the undervolting?

MSI_SnapShot_00.bmp

You just need to adjust CPU Core Voltage which is greyed out. You can edit it when using Override mode for CPU Core/GT Voltage Mode.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You just need to adjust CPU Core Voltage which is greyed out. You can edit it when using Override mode for CPU Core/GT Voltage Mode.

i did that, still gray and i wont let me touch it

MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp

5 minutes ago, NielsKS said:

i did that, still gray and i wont let me touch it

MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp

Does navigating with the arrow keys allow you to highlight the CPU Core Voltage row? If yes, you should be able to edit the value by typing in the value. 

59 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Does navigating with the arrow keys allow you to highlight the CPU Core Voltage row? If yes, you should be able to edit the value by typing in the value. 

nope, still doesnt work

8 hours ago, NielsKS said:

nope, still doesnt work

Turn off Game Boost. It's effectively an auto oc. If you want to oc, do it manually. 

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Turn off Game Boost. It's effectively an auto oc. If you want to oc, do it manually. 

yeah it works!! thank you!