Building a new Setup : Multimonitor : SLI need : Help

ValhallaCCB

Hello all, so I am planning on a new computer as my current one is really starting to chug in the work load + the gaming I do. A little background on the use for this, I need it for work (mostly emailing, video files, video editing, things that more screen space really helps with.) The second use case is where I am seeing the chugging and noticeable issues, that is in gaming. I am a HUGE EvE Online player, FPS, Strategy player, and I notice almost regularly 80%+ ish cpu usage while the GPU is always pegged at 100% ( with this I normally run around 6-10 clients if that helps at all.) So now to the upgrade part that I need the most help with - I plan on going to a multimonitor setup from my single monitor to three or four 1440p 34' ultra wides. 

So my question/comments are as follows:

1) What would be my best bet for pushing all those pixels given the crazy price changes of GPU's? (titan xp, dual 1080 ti's, etc)

2) Would a i7 8700k be enough of an upgrade or is an i9 9900k the better choice? 

3) Is Intel still the king for gaming or is Ryzen picked up? 

4) I would like to keep it within $3500.

I can provide further info or benchmarks if needed. I would also like to thank everyone for the help in advance! 

My Current PC: 

CPU: 4790k 

RAM: 32GB at 2666

GPU: MSI 980 4GB

PSU: 850W EVGA

HD 1: 850 evo 1tb

HD2: WD 1tb

HD3: WD 1tb

usage at 10 clients.PNG

IMG_0095.jpg

1) If you want raytracing, you should get something from the 2000 series, if not you should go with 1080 ti (in sli if needed)

2) 8700k would be enough, but treadripper might be a fun idea here

3) Ryzen has picked up verry well, but not fully in gaming, but with the shortage on the intel side it's a great choise

4)with or without monitors/keyboards/mice?

Thanks for the reply! For now just the computer itself, monitors will come later as I'm keeping a close eye on the Acer x34 predator monitors - possibly others if something has better price to performance. 

1 minute ago, ValhallaCCB said:

Thanks for the reply! For now just the computer itself, monitors will come later as I'm keeping a close eye on the Acer x34 predator monitors - possibly others if something has better price to performance. 

okay, i'll take a look into pcpartpicker. and tag or quote me next time, then i'll get a notification

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:
-snip-

To be perfectly honest, I can't see the benefit of the 1080ti in sli. Most game don't benefit from SLI, or doesn't work at all, and it won't be better in the next release. You can already drive 4 display out of a gtx1080ti. Don't bother with a second one*;

@Belzebuth That is a very good point. But wouldn't I be really taxing a 1080ti with four 1440p monitors, hence the extra one helping pick up the slack? Also upon reviewing some newer info from CCP it appears EvE Online doesn't support SLI and is really mostly CPU bound. 

2 minutes ago, ValhallaCCB said:

@Belzebuth That is a very good point. But wouldn't I be really taxing a 1080ti with four 1440p monitors, hence the extra one helping pick up the slack? Also upon reviewing some newer info from CCP it appears EvE Online doesn't support SLI and is really mostly CPU bound. 

Are you planning to game on all off your four monitor ?

At least three of them will be running EvE clients - So for the most part yes.

2 hours ago, Belzebuth said:

To be perfectly honest, I can't see the benefit of the 1080ti in sli. Most game don't benefit from SLI, or doesn't work at all, and it won't be better in the next release. You can already drive 4 display out of a gtx1080ti. Don't bother with a second one*;

We're living in a brave new world.  You can get like 60% scaling with SLI now using the NVLink.  Check out jay and GN's results.

19 minutes ago, rarifiedbovine said:

We're living in a brave new world.  You can get like 60% scaling with SLI now using the NVLink.  Check out jay and GN's results.

Indeed, but no NVlink with 1080Ti and no SLI support for EvE anyway

2 hours ago, ValhallaCCB said:

At least three of them will be running EvE clients - So for the most part yes.

I still stand my point, to me  SLI/NVLink won't be supported much longer. I think a 1080Ti can easily support 4 EvE client, but I never played that game, so meh.

In that case it may be better for me to aim for a 2080 ti to future proof this computer. 

@Belzebuth, @LukeSavenije, @rarifiedbovine  So I hate to be a pester on this as I already received so much assistance on this topic. But I am unsure if I understand correctly, would a single 2080TI be able to support the three monitors running at 3440x1440p while gaming? Or should I just try to aim for the dual 1080ti's whenever I find them for a reasonable price. I'm not looking for any crazy off the wall frame rates, I would be really happy with 60 fps on high(ish) settings on games. Once again thanks so much for all the help!  

50 minutes ago, ValhallaCCB said:

@Belzebuth, @LukeSavenije, @rarifiedbovine  So I hate to be a pester on this as I already received so much assistance on this topic. But I am unsure if I understand correctly, would a single 2080TI be able to support the three monitors running at 3440x1440p while gaming? Or should I just try to aim for the dual 1080ti's whenever I find them for a reasonable price. I'm not looking for any crazy off the wall frame rates, I would be really happy with 60 fps on high(ish) settings on games. Once again thanks so much for all the help!  

Again I'm not a EvE player, but from what I saw, it's not a very demanding game. Plus if you have 3 or more client, you will be playing fullscreen windowed right ? So while using Windows 10, the only client that will be at ''full'' fps will be the one in focus. You really should be good with either a single 1080ti, or 2080ti.

2 hours ago, ValhallaCCB said:

It would get sli here. It's a pretty demending load all added together, and if you have the budget for it, it could even last longer