Nh-u14s vs Dark Rock 4

Altruist
Go to solution Solved by Altruist,
6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Most bigger coolers block 1st PCIe slot. You could have had it horizonatally as it has pretty good RAM clearance. My G.Skill Rijaw X DDR3 fits under fins just fine.

Maybe in some super-small boards. But heatsink doesn't overhang RAM. Fan does, but that can be lifted or moved to other side if case doesn't have clearance.

If you aren't for looks, main con with U14S is space it needs in case. 167mm clearance is quite tall in comparison.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D14 is pretty outdated and has plenty of issues including turbulence from the different sized fans, using 3pin and not 4pin pwm fans asides from the SE2011 variant, difficult to use fan mounting clips, and spiked fins that things catch on during installation. The NH-U14S performs a bit worse but is easier to install, quieter, and leaves more room around the motherboard for easier access which is why it's the best cooler overall imo and probably my favorite. It also completely clears the ram unlike the DR4. 

The NH-D15S does just about everything the NH-D14 does but better. 

Where does it say that? Are you referring to the cooler being used in its horizontal configuration?

Moved to Air Cooling.

Nh-u14s it is and sorry for posting it in the wrong sub forum.

I'm aware that both of these are quiet as it gets and they're good performers :D

I actually wiredly like the way nh-u14s more then dr4

Thoughs?

I may be wrong.

They perform about the same except the Dark Rock 4 looks way better than the NH-U14s IMO, so I'd go for the DR4. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, r2724r16 said:

They perform about the same except the Dark Rock 4 looks way better than the NH-U14s IMO, so I'd go for the DR4. 

They even cost the same 0.o

I may be wrong.

I don’t know why people spend $65 on a single tower cooler when you can spend 10-15 more and get a dual tower like the NH-D14 or something that’s way more efficient

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Altruist said:

They even cost the same 0.o

?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I don’t know why people spend $65 on a single tower cooler when you can spend 10-15 more and get a dual tower like the NH-D14 or something that’s way more efficient

*Face-palm* the biggest downside of air cooling.....

ram, case and pcie slot compatibility.

I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I agree with ^. Just get the D14 for 10$ more.

read my reply to it.

and its cheaper in the uk :D

30 pounds less then they're dual tower siblings

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

Low profile RAM, thermaltake V21, and it shouldn’t interfere with PCIe slots unless you mount it incorrectly

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Low profile RAM, thermaltake V21, and it shouldn’t interfere with PCIe slots unless you mount it incorrectly

Actually on last mobo b360-g a nh-u14s would have went over my x16 safeslot.

Plus my system is already built.

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

read my reply to it.

I’m sorry, the moment I typed it your thing showed up. Looking st moctua’s website, a disclaimer: the u14s might overhang the first ram slot if you are using LGA1151. The PCIe blocking should be the same as they are the same dimensions width wise or whatever you call that direction.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

I’m sorry, the moment I typed it your thing showed up. Looking st moctua’s website, a disclaimer: the u14s might overhang the first ram slot if you are using LGA1151. The PCIe blocking should be the same as they are the same dimensions width wise or whatever you call that direction.

i knew about the pcie but not the ram slot.

Thank for telling me :D

I may be wrong.

6 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

The NH-D14 is pretty outdated and has plenty of issues including turbulence from the different sized fans, using 3pin and not 4pin pwm fans asides from the SE2011 variant, difficult to use fan mounting clips, and spiked fins that things catch on during installation. The NH-U14S performs a bit worse but is easier to install, quieter, and leaves more room around the motherboard for easier access which is why it's the best cooler overall imo and probably my favorite. It also completely clears the ram unlike the DR4. 

6 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

a disclaimer: the u14s might overhang the first ram slot if you are using LGA1151

Where does it say that? Are you referring to the cooler being used in its horizontal configuration?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, Altruist said:

Actually on last mobo b360-g a nh-u14s would have went over my x16 safeslot.

Plus my system is already built.

Most bigger coolers block 1st PCIe slot. You could have had it horizonatally as it has pretty good RAM clearance. My G.Skill Rijaw X DDR3 fits under fins just fine.

12 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Maybe in some super-small boards. But heatsink doesn't overhang RAM. Fan does, but that can be lifted or moved to other side if case doesn't have clearance.

If you aren't for looks, main con with U14S is space it needs in case. 167mm clearance is quite tall in comparison.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Moved to Air Cooling.

Nh-u14s it is and sorry for posting it in the wrong sub forum.

I may be wrong.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

On their website. And as for orientation, vertically.E2F8E45F-92A0-4B42-B77E-F891A945640F.thumb.png.8c38a3f8fcb39767cf65693ff1e725bc.png

bottom ^

10 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

On their website. And as for orientation, vertically.E2F8E45F-92A0-4B42-B77E-F891A945640F.thumb.png.8c38a3f8fcb39767cf65693ff1e725bc.png

bottom ^

Meaning the smallest ITX boards where RAM is closer to socket than with ATX boards. I'm pretty sure that if they have the board tested, its mentioned in compatibility listing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Meaning the smallest ITX boards where RAM is closer to socket than with ATX boards. I'm pretty sure that if they have the board tested, its mentioned in compatibility listing.

I said it might conflict anyways.

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, Altruist said:

Not sure on the d14 but the d15 with a removed fan or d15s (single fan variant) does not block first PCIe and has almost 100% ram compatibility .. according to noctua .. i believe it to. Seen several "my DR4 Pro blocks my first pcie slot, can i put my gpu in this slot?" posts and none so far on the D15. Looking at the cut outs with the second fan removed, only the tallest of naturally tall ram would cause an issue

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

Get a windale 6 or macho direct (u14s is overpriced because it has the same performance as the two mentioned earlier), also push pull does literally goose eggs for air coolers (you need godly airflow for there to be a noticeable difference, so the open atx test benches may have been overestimating the difference anyway). That's why the D15S is within margin of error of the D15 in temperatures.

9 hours ago, thesmileyone said:

Best solution I have found and I will be doing this myself is to buy any massive twin heatsink - whichever is cheapest - and buy a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM's to go on them.

2 fans = 1 fan