Massively messed up file premissions

Total Epicnessᴭᴺ

I tried to access my main computers hard drive (which has a separate windows installation) to transfer some files to my SSD which was used by my laptop. I let windows access the hard drive and change its premissions. Upon booting to my main hdd's windows installation, shit literally hit the fan,no desktop image, defualt windows "no icon" icons replacing a majority of my shortcuts, Google chrome profiles gone, and most if not all of my files have seriously messed up premissions. I couldn't access anything without manually attempting to change premissions and even that fails occasionally. I tried to download the windows media creation tool to try and reinstall the os without loosing files, but failed.

Is there any way to change permissions of all files or should I just say fuck it and reinstall windows

1. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-ntfs-file-permission-windows

2. or you can use laptop again and change permissions by setting them to give full control to everyone (and owner by Administrators) for folders you need.

You can always reinstall windows, sure, but that way you learn nothing and become one of these persons who recommend reinstalling system even if you change mouse. :)

10 hours ago, homeap5 said:

1. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-ntfs-file-permission-windows

2. or you can use laptop again and change permissions by setting them to give full control to everyone (and owner by Administrators) for folders you need.

You can always reinstall windows, sure, but that way you learn nothing and become one of these persons who recommend reinstalling system even if you change mouse. :)

I used the utility that you mentioned on all the folders in the root directory (Program files,windows,etc) it worked but some files are still messed up and it seems some file associations are screwed too. 

I managed to be able to try to reinstall windows and it worked. 

Will keep ya posted

1 hour ago, Total Epicnessᴭᴺ said:

I used the utility that you mentioned on all the folders in the root directory (Program files,windows,etc) it worked but some files are still messed up and it seems some file associations are screwed too. 

I managed to be able to try to reinstall windows and it worked.  

Will keep ya posted

Good that I can help at least a little. About keeping me posted - since you reinstalling Windows, I can only wish you luck - this is not my cup of tea. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling operating system - it's other users hobby. :)