Does it matter which M2 slot I use?

I have an Asrock x399 Taichi MB. It has 3 slots for M2 SSDs and I have two drives to install. Does it matter which one of them I use? It seems that they will be under the GPU however I do.

Also, I have heard that you should install one M2 at the time? Anyone heard the same? Why is that?

If they're all NVMe drives it shouldn't matter which spots they're in

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You should always check the manual.

Some may be connected directly to the cpu using 4 pci-e lanes. Some may be connected to the chipset (and the chipset is connected to the cpu through a pci-e x4 link)

With this motherboard, most likely all 3 slots are connected to cpu. The CPU has 64 pci-e lanes with 4 reserved for chipset link, and if 4 cards are inserted in pci-e x16 slots they become x16-x8-x16-x8 , so only 48 lanes seem to be wired to the pci-e x16 slots... which leaves me to believe the 12 other lanes would be tied to the m.2 connectors (and third m.2 shares lanes with the U2 connector)

Also not all M.2 slots are NVMe, I know you've probably checked but for those visiting this thread from Google and whatnot remember to check

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

it does not really matter but a lot of mother boards have a cover over it with thermal tape which will help with temperatures. You probably won't know the difference but it will last longer 

8 hours ago, Johann_Ko said:

it does not really matter but a lot of mother boards have a cover over it with thermal tape which will help with temperatures. You probably won't know the difference but it will last longer 

Thanks! Have not seen any kind of cover or heat-thing with my motherboard.