Curved Ultrawide vs Flat Ultrawide - Opinions wanted please

Euphoria

Hey everyone, I've been in the market for a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor for a few months now, gaming would be the primary use.

My budget isn't huge so the prices have held me back so far as the cheapest curved display I can find (excluding the Korean panels on eBay) is around £600 and that was a basic model: 60Hz, VA panel, no speakers or G-Sync and a fair cheap/budget brand.

However, today I found a Flat Samsung 34" 3440x1440 monitor on Amazon for just £290! I read the description about 20 times, literally spent 90 minutes researching it thinking it was a typo or mistake. Of course, for that price it's very basic - no G-Sync, no high refresh rate, no speakers, and of course no curve - but at half the price of the cheapest curved display and Samsung brand, is curved really that amazing?

My question: to anyone that has used/owned a curved and flat ultrawide monitor, what is your opinion on the curve - is curved worth the extra price, is it hugely more immersive or just a little bit or none at all, was a flat panel hard to see in your peripheral vision, pros, cons... what is your opinion?? I would really appreciate any feedback from people that have used both types.

Edited by Euphoria
To add context

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

Not worth it for a 16:9, but at 21:9 it's really weird to have a 21:9 flat panel so I'd say yes

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

All monitors are overpriced in my opinion. A 1080p monitor that's decent for gaming costs $100 in most cases, making buying them only worth it on sale in my opinion. I got myself a 21:9 monitor for $175, and it's pretty small, it better last me a long time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You are making the assumption that the price increase is solely due to panel curvature but this can be a result of numerous factors.

First of all - brand recognition, second - panel type (IPS/TN/VA), third - refresh rate, fourth - variable refresh rate tech (Freesync/G-Sync), fifth - build and panel quality

So, to answer your question (as someone who has a curved monitor) - no, curved isn't worth THAT much (though it looks really nice) but my monitor also has 120Hz refresh rate, IPS panel with good color reproduction and G-Sync which in turn are worth to me the extra price.

The thing is, it's hard to find a 34-35" panel 3440x1440 panel with all those qualities that isn't curved (and made by the same manufacturer which is kinda important though impractical to compare) so I have no way of knowing how much I am paying for the curvature alone.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

You are making the assumption that the price increase is solely due to panel curvature but this can be a result of numerous factors.

-Snip-

OK, that's a fair point I should have made it a little clearer, I just didn't want to waffle on and turn the post into a wall of text. I'll edit my post to reflect that and word it better.

To add a little info: the cheapest curved monitor I can find is the same panel type, same refresh, same adaptive framerate tech, same response times, almost exactly the same... except the curved monitor is a cheap'o brand and the non-curved sub £300 monitor is Samsung, work that out haha. I read the description maybe 20 times thinking it was a mistake and must be 2560x1080, but nope, it's just a promo offer for a month.

If I may ask you specifically, in your opinion how much do you think the curve impacts your gaming experience? Is it a nice feature to have but nothing amazing or a huge improvement to games?

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

11 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

If I may ask you specifically, in your opinion how much do you think the curve impacts your gaming experience? Is it a nice feature to have but nothing amazing or a huge improvement to games?

I don't feel like it impacts my experience that much because I don't sit too close to my monitor. I can't say for sure since I've never gamed on a flat ultrawide but I have mine mounted on the wall and I don't really need it to be curved in order to enhance my peripheral vision. It helps a bit but not by a large margin.

For someone who sits, say, 10-15 cm closer than me it might be more beneficial and noticable. 

Here is a reference pic to judge the distance:

20180528-222116.jpg

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

I don't feel like it impacts my experience that much because I don't sit too close to my monitor. I can't say for sure since I've never gamed on a flat ultrawide but I have mine mounted on the wall and I don't really need it to be curved in order to enhance my peripheral vision. It helps a bit but not by a large margin.

For someone who sits, say, 10-15 cm closer than me it might be more beneficial and noticable. 

Here is a reference pic to judge the distance:

Thank you, Lathlaer, that actually really does help me.

I've been doing some more reading up on ultrawide displays and came across something I hadn't actually considered, games that support that aspect ratio. Many people report that very few games have 21:9 support and even fewer have good implementation of it, many games I play in fact have very poor or no ultrawide support. Damn, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

How do you find the 21:9 support personally?

P.S. Very nice battle station you have there, clean and classy, I like it.

2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

How do you find the 21:9 support personally?

I don't play many games but so far everything I have played since acquiring the monitor have either supported ultrawide out of the box or required a simple mod to do so. So no problem there.

I think people are exaggerating - it's usually someone who heard or read somewhere something about ultrawide not being supported so they keep parroting the misinformation even though they mostly don't own it.

Check this out, I doubt anyone has done more research towards ultrawide support than this guy:

Of course the more indie and obscure game you play the greater chance of it not supporting ultrawide format but if you play AAA or AAA-ish games, chances are there is an out of the box support or easy fix available.