would a radiator without fans help at all

I nkow this is probably a stupid question but I want to water cool a NCASE M1 and I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit a graphics card and a 240mm rad w/ fans under it.. if I can't fit slim fans.. if I can't fit any fans..

so would having a radiator help cool the system at all?

Heat would slowly rise upwards from it. It wouldn't help much. Why not just go air in that case?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Like no fans on the radiator?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

It'll help in the sense at it'll be better than having nothing than all, but it'll not be good enough, you need air moving through that radiator

I guess I will have to do some modding if just the one 240mm can't cool a 4670k and a gtx 780

Slim radiator probably not much, the heat of the pump itself, as said by @marto would already take it's cooling capacity. modding out of question???

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Slim radiator probably not much, the heat of the pump itself, as said by @marto would already take it's cooling capacity. modding out of question???

I wouldn't really want to mod but I may be able to fit a slim 30mm rad with slim 15mm fans not sure yet, I'm still trying to find a build log or photos of this done with the ncase m1.

I wouldn't really want to mod but I may be able to fit a slim 30mm rad with slim 15mm fans not sure yet, I'm still trying to find a build log or photos of this done with the ncase m1.

Get a ruler and measure it! Maybe you can sand the fan a little bit so it is thinner, take some pictures and post them around :)

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

I'm getting the case in 1-3 days, I'll measure it when I get it using 1-slot cooler to replicate a water block

Not a good idea when your system is under load. Water will conduct the heat just enough to keep the components running on the hotter side, depending on how many are in your loop. I seriously recommend against it, though. Find some fans thin enough to fit into the radiator, or just suck it up and move it someplace else if you can. Or use a thinner radiator. If clearance really is an issue in that case, though, you're probably better served by air cooling, assuming that you only planned to use one radiator in your loop.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Not a good idea when your system is under load. Water will conduct the heat just enough to keep the components running on the hotter side, depending on how many are in your loop. I seriously recommend against it, though. Find some fans thin enough to fit into the radiator, or just suck it up and move it someplace else if you can. Or use a thinner radiator. If clearance really is an issue in that case, though, you're probably better served by air cooling, assuming that you only planned to use one radiator in your loop.

I guess I should have said that I will have another 240mm rad with normal fans that would do most of the cooling

I guess I should have said that I will have another 240mm rad with normal fans that would do most of the cooling

You'll probably be fine, but you may have to turn the fan RPMs up if possible. If you're cooling both your CPU and GPU, it's not a good idea to have just one radiator. Most people suggest one 120mm fan for every block in the system, plus one (in terms of radiator size, mind). You may not be able to adequately cool your system with just one other 240mm radiator using two fans. Overheating won't be an issue under load, especially if you only have one block.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

It will dissipate enough passively for a CPU not under load.

This.

If you can duct the airflow thru the rads using the exhaust fan then its possible but a 240 on its own WITH fans is the start point for CPU loops.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to creat high enough pressure inside a case and block/seal all the vents to force the air to exit the case through your 'passive' rad.

IF you could acheive the above you would probably actually get some cooling performance from that rad.

Just a thought.

If this hasn't already done yet, I'd like to see what temps would be like under moderate load with a decent 240mm fanless rad and a really good pump. I think that you could get away with somewhat reasonable temps under lower usage.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

If this hasn't already done yet, I'd like to see what temps would be like under moderate load with a decent 240mm fanless rad and a really good pump. I think that you could get away with somewhat reasonable temps under lower usage.

Challenge accepted! =D

Hardware:

CPU :   X6 1100t (125W TDP)

Pump:  Laing D5 (no rpm control)

Rad:    EK 480mm x 40mm  (the rad is not mounted inside my pc, rather it's vertically mounted at the back of the case)

//Pls don't post telling me that a 480 is overkill for a CPU, as I'm not prepared to buy waterblock for my GPU until I upgrade from my old 6970.

Got the loop heated to "operating temp", then shut the fans off. Idle temp 21C. Been running it for half an hour now, just reading on the forum and watching some youtube vids. Temp has now stabilized at around 35C. 

Fired up crysis 3, got temps somewhat stable at around 47C, maybye the'd have gone up another couple of degrees if had palyed long enough... 

This is not a 240 rad, but the results should be pretty scalable, considering that I'm only cooling a CPU (125W) at the moment, adding a gpu to the mix and running fans on just half of the rads, the OP needs to find a way to get fans on the other rad as well... The second rad won't do much good without fans, and the considerable heat output of the GPU, another 250W will prove more than the 240 rad can manage, alteast at acceptable temps.

Edited by Dark_Nemesis

Thanks, Nemeis. Those temps are even better than I was expecting. I expect that even a 240mm would be OK for moderate usage with reasonable low wattage chips (125 and under), but surprised with those temps running Crysis 3!  :o

Challenge accepted! =D

Hardware:

CPU :   X6 1100t (125W TDP)

Pump:  Laing D5 (no rpm control)

Rad:    EK 480mm x 40mm  (the rad is not mounted inside my pc, rather it's vertically mounted at the back of the case)

//Pls don't post telling me that a 480 is overkill for a CPU, as I'm not prepared to buy waterblock for my GPU until I upgrade from my old 6970.

Got the loop heated to "operating temp", then shut the fans off. Idle temp 21C. Been running it for half an hour now, just reading on the forum and watching some youtube vids. Temp has now stabilized at around 35C. 

Fired up crysis 3, got temps somewhat stable at around 47C, maybye the'd have gone up another couple of degrees if had palyed long enough... 

This is not a 240 rad, but the results should be pretty scalable, considering that I'm only cooling a CPU (125W) at the moment, adding a gpu to the mix and running fans on just half of the rads, the OP needs to find a way to get fans on the other rad as well... The second rad won't do much good without fans, and the considerable heat output of the GPU, another 250W will prove more than the 240 rad can manage, alteast at acceptable temps.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Thanks, Nemeis. Those temps are even better than I was expecting. I expect that even a 240mm would be OK for moderate usage with reasonable low wattage chips (125 and under), but surprised with those temps running Crysis 3!  :o

To be quite honest, I was a bit surprised too =P  Don't know how much of an impact is has on the test, that I have the rad mounted outside, rather than inside the case (notice how misleading that sounds, see pic below) but I think that without fans, it may be a different story if I had the rad mounted inside the case...

IMG 33851

Just to make sure the C3 test was accurate, I did it again, played until the temps stopped rising. With ambient temp 20.5C, I ended up at 49-49C after about 35min intense gaming. Juat a sample of the temp curve as it stabilises, not the entire test, it doesn't idle at 46 =D

ScreenShot002

Promemur, is your username adamantium on [H] ? In the google doc I saw someone reporting using 2 240 rads like you intend to do. He doesn't report if he's using fans on the lower one.

I myself am looking into building my first loop in this precious. 1 240mm radiator for a cpu and GPU is enough, look at the test setups in the OP at [H].

Would be interesting to use one beneath the GPU so when yoj open up the case you won't have a rad restricting your view. So even a window would be possible.

Promemur, is your username adamantium on [H] ? In the google doc I saw someone reporting using 2 240 rads like you intend to do. He doesn't report if he's using fans on the lower one.

I myself am looking into building my first loop in this precious. 1 240mm radiator for a cpu and GPU is enough, look at the test setups in the OP at [H].

Would be interesting to use one beneath the GPU so when yoj open up the case you won't have a rad restricting your view. So even a window would be possible.

No I don't have an account on [H] yet. I'll check out that guys dual 240 rad.

I know it is enough but I would rather have another for better temperatures and a more silent computer overall.