Can a heavy cooler break a motherboard?

Cristu

I'm building a new rig and I think I'm going with noctua d15.. however.. I would carry my computer here and there a lot. Isn't there a danger that the noctua's d15 weight could break my motherboard apart?

It *could* torque the motherboard a bit; however, you could tie or connect it to a part of the chassis, reducing stresses on the motherboard. I'd just recommend a case that's as close to the same height as the D15 - reducing the amount it can tilt before bumping into the side-panel of the case.

The main problems that I see with CPU coolers damaging motherboards is through over-tightening the mounting - causing the motherboard to flex under it.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

4 minutes ago, Cristu said:

I'm building a new rig and I think I'm going with noctua d15.. however.. I would carry my computer here and there a lot. Isn't there a danger that the noctua's d15 weight could break my motherboard apart?

Unlikely as any large cooler will have a backplate to spread the weight and mounting pressure but if you are planning on moving it in a car or such it wouldn't be bad to add some temporary foam supports or laying it on it's back when moving. 

Unless you actively try to break the motherboard with the cooler, it's very unlikely. Here's a pretty extreme example with cooler bent and the motherboard surviving: 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just don't drop it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Cristu said:

I have a cheap motherboard and a massive fucking heatsink you'll be fine  check my profile if you wanna see it

If you have to move your computer a lot, put some packaging material inside the case to stop the GPU and cooler moving around. 

Btw, why don't you consider the D14 or even the U14 with push pull? They should be good enough for most cup with a decent overclock. (ignore if you are planing to OC on x299 or x399 platform)

People have been using big coolers for years. The way bigger coolers are designed, they will distribute weight across whole mobo and even whole case. This is basic physics (surface tension if you want to read more about it). When mobo is tight in case with all screws, and cooler is tight in backplate, the backplate will transfer coolers weight onto whole mobo. Meaning that you would need to break mobo before cooler moves. There are things that are much more prone to damage from even case falling to its side than cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv