Dedicated PC for scanning USB/Virus?

Waigra

Most of the time when my family members plugged in a flash drive to my computer, it would infect my PC instantly because the USB drive was already infected with viruses and trojan from various locations like internet cafe, public pc and so on.

i'm really getting so annoyed to the point that I want to buy pc to all of them, but it would be very expensive, I hate it when someone plug in a dirty usb drive into my pc and it got security alert.

I don't plan to drop much on it as I only have 450-600$ to spend on a dedicated PC for scanning virus. I hope that this should be sufficient for scanning a thumb drive.

What kind of specs should I be looking for? Multicore CPUs? SSD? Strong single core cpu? High frequency Memory?

I wouldn't spend $450 for a sheep dip, look for a really cheap laptop off ebay and use that.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

SSD most definitely, (1tb probably)

i would say 4gb 3200MHZ ram

just a cheap quad core

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

12 minutes ago, Waigra said:

What kind of specs should I be looking for? Multicore CPUs? SSD? Strong single core cpu? High frequency Memory? 

literally none of that matters for your use case. it just needs to run and have a working usb port

agree with @RuffRuffmcgruff just find a cheap used laptop

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:
15 minutes ago, Waigra said:

core cpu? High frequency Memory? 

literally none of that matters for your use case. it just needs to run and have a workin

Thanks, which software is the best for killing viruses from USB? I have never used anything else other than ESET and I feel it a little bit heavy for my PC.

Firstly, why are you letting them plug their USB's into your PC? Even if they are your family I'd take anything with a grain of salt. For me I don't care if you're someone I know, nothing is getting connected onto my PC. I've had one occasion where someone plugged their USB into my laptop and it turned out to be a Trojan.. and messed up my laptop... Tell them to be careful of what they download and what site they visit...and let them buy the PC.. why are you wasting your money?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

12 minutes ago, Waigra said:

Thanks, which software is the best for killing viruses from USB? I have never used anything else other than ESET and I feel it a little bit heavy for my PC.

I've always used Malware Bytes and it's removed everything from anything that i've ever run it on

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Do you even need this though? I mean, if you don't enable AutoRun for USB devices, would anything "bad" on the USB stick even execute itself from being plugged and scanned with an anti virus?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

23 hours ago, Waigra said:

Most of the time when my family members plugged in a flash drive to my computer, it would infect my PC instantly because the USB drive was already infected with viruses and trojan from various locations like internet cafe, public pc and so on.

i'm really getting so annoyed to the point that I want to buy pc to all of them, but it would be very expensive, I hate it when someone plug in a dirty usb drive into my pc and it got security alert.

I don't plan to drop much on it as I only have 450-600$ to spend on a dedicated PC for scanning virus. I hope that this should be sufficient for scanning a thumb drive.

First of all - don't overreact. They uses USB flash drives because it's the most common method these days. As @schwellmo92 said - turn off Autorun in your system and you'll be safe.

Virus is like any other program - it must be started to work. If you don't run (using Autostart for example) anything from your USB, then it's just an infected file, nothing dangerous. If they want to have viruses on their USB drives - it's their choice. You're safe as long as you don't run virus. And you can still use that usb drive.

And of course that AV software gives you security alert - unlike system, your AV software scans files that are harmless (because you don't even run them) and give you warning about viruses. So what? First of all - it's only file scanner, none of these viruses are active until you activate them. Second - you have installed AV software for what? For nice tray icon? For slow down your computer only? No - you installed AV for protection. So - it works, isn't? It's the way it suppose to work - so you're protected.

How many protection do you really need? Second computer for scanning USB drives? Come on! Disable autostart, use AV and feel free to use any infected USB drives without any risk. Do you really want to not open any nice pictures, music, movies or whatever your friends or family members wants to give you, because you're afraid of being infected? It's not the way you should use your computer. It suppose to be fun and nice experience. I plug lot of my friends' USB drives in my computer, some of them has viruses and I never was infected by any of them. Damn, I even have about 1000 viruses on one of my pendrives just for scare people like you. They're not active, but I know that some AV software scans USB drives automatically, so it's just funny to see people reaction. :)