Do I need a sound card?

TitusjamesTJ

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Gaming, but I would rather have clearer sound for music and such. I use headphones

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

For a sound card, $100 or less.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

U.S.

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

I have a MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 motherboard. I am pretty sure that is all that is needed for my question.

No and maybe...
depends on the person in question.

most motherboard audio nowadays is great and more than sufficient for casual music and gaming.
back in the days you really needed a sound card but nowadays most if not all motherboard have great audio.

i recently upgraded to the asus prime x370 pro and was more than impressed with the onboard audio.

but if you wanna go all out and baller on your pc then you could get a sound card.
but its not something thats necessary.

unless you want the absolute best of the best possible.
and even then is only just a little better.

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

If you’re gonna get a sound card you might as well get the schiit stack

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:20 AM, TitusjamesTJ said:

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Gaming, but I would rather have clearer sound for music and such. I use headphones

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

For a sound card, $100 or less.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

don't waste your money DAC and sound cards are basically for two kinds of people. first are the professionals that mix and manipulate audio. the second are people that run there audio threw there stereo's for theater, 3D audio, and 8 way channeling. 

if at first you don't break it you must have followed the directions

It’s like...you’ll only get confusing info online about DACs. Some people say it makes a huge difference, other people say it makes no difference at all. I am on the side that it makes no difference.