Plex killing my network?

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
3 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

That's what I was hoping not to see =/, it's only got a 100Mbps port on it from what I can tell so at BEST you're going to get 100Mbps of transfer speed. My guess is the wiring isn't perfect or isn't brand new and not lab condition so you're probably only getting about half of that. Even though it's advertised as being rated for 600Mbps, the physical port is only 100Mbps.

Hey everyone, I'm having some problems and I was hoping to get some feedback. I installed Plex on my PC to see how it would work before I get a server for it, first thing I noticed was my videos kept buffering, I thought it was my CPU at first but when I checked it was only 30% load, so I checked my opened apps and steam was updating a game, when. I paused that, Plex streamed just fine, then I tried playing online while streaming from Plex, my game was lagging really bad, here is where I need clarification. Plex uses my internal network, and not my "internet" connection, so do I need to IP grade to 10Gbs connections so I can stream Plex and game without lag? 

Thanks for the comments in advance. 

I assume everything is gigabit right now? No 100Mbit on anything?

I've got Plex on a gigabit switch and it streams just fine to multiple devices without issue while I'm gaming or doing other things.

Can you check network utilization while streaming by itself?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I've got Plex on a gigabit switch and it streams just fine to multiple devices without issue while I'm gaming or doing other things.

Should I check this in my computer or router? 

Just now, Miguel552 said:

Should I check this in my computer or router? 

Computer would be best

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

100Mbps would still be more than enough for video streaming from Plex. Either he is streaming over a crappy Wi-Fi connection or there is something with the encoder settings, in my opinion.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

21 minutes ago, 2FA said:

100Mbps would still be more than enough for video streaming from Plex. Either he is streaming over a crappy Wi-Fi connection or there is something with the encoder settings, in my opinion.

My PC is plugged through one of those power line ethernet adapters and my TV where I'm streaming to is on WiFi. 

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Computer would be best

Here's a couple of screenshots I took while streaming.Capture.thumb.PNG.4eabf6889388a045d4546cfbee243fa1.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.37da6920576ebed76b4645fbf865dd36.PNG

1 hour ago, Miguel552 said:

My PC is plugged through one of those power line ethernet adapters and my TV where I'm streaming to is on WiFi. 

That would explain most of it.

What model powerline adapters?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

There is also the fact that your PC doing ANYTHING in the background while gaming can cause latency on the CPU and storage.

Overall not a great test as if the Plex server and client are both physically wired (or at least not on the powerline) then they will have zero impact on your gaming PC, unless you use Plex to stream to clients on the Internet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

That's what I was hoping not to see =/, it's only got a 100Mbps port on it from what I can tell so at BEST you're going to get 100Mbps of transfer speed. My guess is the wiring isn't perfect or isn't brand new and not lab condition so you're probably only getting about half of that. Even though it's advertised as being rated for 600Mbps, the physical port is only 100Mbps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ok, so my plan after the testing is get a server and place it in the same room where my router is, that way it will be plugged directly into it. You think by doing that I don't have to upgrade anything? I'm just wondering if my router can handle the streaming and my gaming at the same time. Because when I get a dedicated server, this 100Mbps will be enough for just my personal use, like it has for the past year. 

Edit: this is my router https://www.amazon.com/R7000-100PAS-Nighthawk-Parental-Controls-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6

5 minutes ago, Miguel552 said:

Ok, so my plan after the testing is get a server and place it in the same room where my router is, that way it will be plugged directly into it. You think by doing that I don't have to upgrade anything? I'm just wondering if my router can handle the streaming and my gaming at the same time. Because when I get a dedicated server, this 100Mbps will be enough for just my personal use, like it has for the past year. 

Edit: this is my router https://www.amazon.com/R7000-100PAS-Nighthawk-Parental-Controls-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6

Yah, that router should be able to handle it just fine and once it's on a dedicated box you should be good :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, that router should be able to handle it just fine and once it's on a dedicated box you should be good :)

Awesome, thanks for your help. Now just gotta figure out the hardware.