How popular would LoL be if it were not to be f2p?

ManOfDisguise

I always wondered this since its like the most played game ever or whatever but yea its got to be mainly because its f2p, meaning more people can access it=more players(logic). Well what if it wasnt f2p? Say it would cost I dunno 30 bucks(or more or less). How popular would it be then?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I dont think that it would have initially started in the first place if it werent f2p, since there wasnt a ton of interest in it until people tried it.

No players, all would play Dota 2 since they did not have the chance to try LoL before buy.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

I dont think that it would have initially started in the first place if it werent f2p, since there wasnt a ton of interest in it until people tried it.

ok but lets say they launch it as a $60(or however much) game from the start. 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

ok but lets say they launch it as a $60(or however much) game from the start. 

That's what I'm saying. If it was $60 from the start I dont think it would have been horribly popular, since there wasnt much demand until people tried it. The original dota was a thing, but it wasnt actually all that horribly big. I think, and so does Marc Merrill the President and CMO of Riot, that much of its popularity was due to the fact that it was F2P from the start.

Yeah, you got it. I try it because it was free ( So what can I lose right ?) And then continue in playing it :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I don't think it would be as popular as Riot wouldn't be making as much money. I have spent about £50 over the last 5 months on this game. But I have bought very few games since. I think playing league may have actually saved me money.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat