USB Power Surge

So, I was just minding my own business in a Discord call, then all of a sudden I heard the notification sound Windows 10 makes when you unplug a USB device. This happened several times. I mean, 10 times. I noticed there was an error message on the bottom right corner of my screen (I can't get a hold of the exact notification, as it doesn't show up in my recent notifications). The notification read, "USB Power Surge from Unknown USB Device." I noticed my mouse and keyboard didn't work, and they were plugged into a USB hub. I then thought, "Well, it must be the USB hub causing the problem." I unplugged the USB hub, and managed around my other USB devices (Logitech G933 USB Connector, Zowie Mouse, Keyboard, Bluetooth Adapter, and Xbox One Controller Adapter). Unfortunately, after ditching the USB hub the problem is still occurring and I have no idea what is causing it. I have to plug my mouse and keyboard in the front two USB ports, as the USB ports on the rear are none-responsive. 

I thought it could be a motherboard problem, but before I try anything that requires me opening the computer - I'd like to hear suggestions and if someone has had the same issue I am having.

I'd like to avoid spending money at all. Of course, if I have to I will. I need this computer for school work so fixing this as soon as possible would be preferred. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oh snap this exact same thing happened to my friend at univeristy, he got a USB Power Surge in two of his USB ports in the back of his computer and they REFUSE to work now, I think it might be a motherboard issue dude

I have a cheap motherboard compared to the rest of my setup, so it's completely possible. Hoping to god it isn't.

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Depends how the mainboard is configured.

Best case: just the input protection is fried

worst case: it made it trough to the cpu

btw. you should find from where it is comming before you replace the hardware to avoid damage

If it made it to the CPU, would I even be able to turn on my PC like I currently am?

EDIT:
I don't know what you mean by "comming."

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Unplug all your USBs from the PC, then shut it down and start it up again, if it's still not working then try this:

image.png.7e8a7fefd910bdb268e1940be984696d.png

I've tried that. Unfortunately, whenever I uninstall one of the drivers my keyboard and mouse lose input and I cannot uninstall the rest. I have no idea how to work around that.

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Oh my god seriously??? you would think Windows would understand not to actually uninstall them until you restart the PC ?

Yeah, I have no idea. It just kills all USB input.

5 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

That actually really sucks, the thing that is worrying me about this being a motherboard issue is the fact that it warned you about a USB power surge multiple times and then suddenly stopped warning you - as if the actual thing has fried itself. I really hope that it didn't do any damage to your CPU... the thing is, USB Hubs are infamous for causing this kind of thing - especially among students, I have a lot of friends that have ruined £2000+ laptops because they used some chinese knockoff bootleg USB hub and it's wrecked their USB ports :(

Sorry, I was unclear. That's my fault. 
The message did not stop sending, it was actually spamming non-stop. I had to remove all of the USB devices for it to stop sending. It was pretty scary, ahaha. 

I do have an update, however. 

I just searched for Windows Updates and I installed them and found a way to uninstall all USB drivers. I restarted my computer, and the inputs that were previous failing me are now working!

This may be too early to tell, however. I have not plugged in everything I previously had before.

Time to check. Thanks for the help regardless!

UPDATE
I have now plugged every previous device (without the usb hub) and everything seems to be working normal.

Thanks, again!

Edited by Grays0n
Update to situation.

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Omg that's great, the fact that it kept spamming them until you unplugged them means that the ports shouldn't actually be damaged. I would definitely hold off on using that USB Hub though, it might be permantly malfuctioning and you don't wanna risk actually frying up your motherboard ?

I just did more organizing and got rid of things I don't actually use, so I am back in business without the USB hub.

I don't plan on using it again. I do not have a death wish for my computer.

• 3 years later...

You can most certainly wear down the metal coating on the USB, and the USB port can even snap, break, or totally ‘leak’ the circuitry inside the laptop—so it’s entirely possible to break one.

The original USB 1.0 spec (and the updated 1.1) allowed devices to draw up to 500mA from the port. USB operates at 5V, so that means a maximum of 2.5 watts.

USB 2.0 has the same power limit. But later there were add-ons to the spec for battery charging, allowing up to 1.5A (7.5W) while data transfer is going on, and up to 5A if not. Few USB 2.0 devices can deliver that much power. Also note that the Micro USB connector is only rated to carry 2.1A (10.5W), so that’s the maximum charge rate for a phone that uses 5V charging.