I know there is a problem, I just don't know what!!!

SyntaxNation

Ok, so I built my first PC, it isn't gaming centric but the idea was with the specs it could at least run most games at a decent framerate on a budget (games such as Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Doom without stuttering or ridiculous frame rate drops).

However, I have a problem.

After a power supply failure I have had nothing but problems. I had to RMA my graphics card and now I am afraid something else is wrong, I just don't know what!

If anyone can provide guidance as to what to do next, that would be fantastic!

Any additional informatiom that is requred please let me know and I will sort it out.

System:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4Ghz

RAM: HyperX 2666Mhz

GPU: MSI Armor Mk2 RX580 8GB (stock)

MB: MSI B350M Gaming Pro

Cooler: CoolerMaster ML240L RGB

Edit: I know the RAM isn't the fastest, but it is ok, at least 7 passes on standard test of MemTest86 says so

Edited by SyntaxNation
Additional information

If you had a PSU failure, there's no telling what broke, and hopefully you got a decent unit to replace the old one, since one cheapo after another is asking for trouble. Also, you haven't described anything wrong. You assume a problem, but don't state anything like bad game performance or instability and crashes.

Also, Memtest won't tell you much about good or bad in terms of your gaming performance, so why not try to overclock your ram using a youtube tutorial? it'll help since you have ryzen.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I replaced the one I had with a Corsair RM 750x, and haven't had a power supply issue since.

However as you said @fasauceome anything could have broken.

Ultimately the issue is this, in comparing my system to similar systems (same CPU and GPU), there is a massive difference in performance, especially after my first PSU died.

I used to be able to run DOOM on Ultra settings no problems, now I am down to running it on High struggling to stick to 60FPS.

Fallout 4 I have seen running at Ultra with stable framerate, whereas my system I can barely run at Medium and every time I move the frames drop by at least 50% (from a max of 58FPS).

Trying run Skyrim just makes me cry.

I get these games aren't the best in terms of optimisation, but I should at least be able to get a stable framerate without stutter.

As far as RAM overclocking goes, I normally run it at about 2800Mhz, and I am looking at upgrading soon, but for testing I went with stock speeds (which I should of said is 2666Mhz, not 2400)

Have you downloaded new games to the same results? Games that have never been present on the PC before

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Not as yet, however all games were fresh downloads, all software including OS was all from scratch.

About one of the only things I haven't tried yet is wiping the drive and starting again