Good Games for the PS4

Jonas_2006

This place is all about just suggesting good games for the Playstation 4

I like the new Spiderman for PS4. And I like GTA V.

an xbox one

Gran Turismo Sport, possibly?

A lot of people have recommended Spider-Man and God of War (almost to the point where it gets them hard), but maybe Horizon: Zero Dawn? Detroit: Become Human if you're into those types of games?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is the only game that matters.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If I had to pick a top 15, including multiplatform games, I'd go with:

1. Bloodborne
  2. NieR Automata
  3. Persona 5
  4. Dark Souls Remastered
  5. Dying Light
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. The Witcher 3
  8. Horizon Zero Dawn
  9. Yakuza 0
  10. The Last of Us Remastered
  11. Yakuza Kiwami 2
  12. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  13. Uncharted 4
  14. Yakuza Kiwami
  15. Nioh

Though I haven't played God of War, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Dark Souls III or Spiderman yet, and all of those look like they could be candidates for my top 15 based on the games I like.

2 hours ago, Jonas_2006 said:

Depends on what you like.

My Must Have List includes, but is not limited to:

1. Spider-Man
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. God of War (or Father of Son ;))
  4. Detroit Become Human (its kinda special type of games, more on the "Investigate" and presentation, less action)
  5. Infamous First Light + Second Son
  6. Persona 5

Bloodborne is something very special as it is a very very hard game, so if you like something like Dark Souls, that is for you.

As for Racing, it has GT Sport and Driveclub, both are not that bad.

Other games that are OK, but not must haves (Unsorted):

1. The Order 1886 (Shooter, rather Short, "unfinished", Open Ending)
  2. Ratchet & Clank
  3. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End, Lost Legacy
  4. Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection
  5. The Last of Us (Remastered)
  6. Gravity Rush
  7. God of War 3 (Remastered)

There are of course many other games as well, that are worth a play and are Sony Exclusive.

Disclaimer: Except for Grand Turismo sport, I own all games mentioned in this Posting...

My Recommendation for "a first Game" is either Horizon Zero Dawn (Complete Edition) or Spider-Man.

After that I'd get God of War.

PS: I don't recommend getting more than two games at once as it only adds to the "Backlog"...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

My favorites that I've played in no particular order:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Bloodborne

The Last of Us Remastered

Beyond: Two Souls

Detroit: Become Human

God of War

Uncharted 4

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

A lot of people have recommended Spider-Man

Yeah, because its actually pretty good (for a Spider Man Game) and slinging around in Manhatten with him is fun.

Besides that its just the usual open City Game that is done pretty well...

Kinda reminded me of Prototype and later game Saints Row IV...

Yeah, its that kind of game. With Spider-Man. And his Enemys. And you can see *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* and New York in *beeep*.

Spoiler

In the game you start working for Otto Octavius. And towards the End (IIRC 68% Story Completition or so) you see the other side. And also the "dramatic change"...

And you ask yourself why you try that Girl and not this one...

The Challenge Token stuff is the usual shit and not really fun but the Dialogues are. And that JJJ radio show thingy that pops up from time to time...

It just feels like a Spider Man (and one that would make a decent enough movie)...

From what I can tell its rather early in the Life of Spider Man and it feels like they wanted to make this game and really were there, didn't make too many "diversity" Choices, just the game. And what made sense...

Ben isn't mentioned too often by the way...

and God of War (almost to the point where it gets them hard)

Or maybe because the Games are just that good? ;)
God of War has a very good, emotional story, with a very noticable character development.

I'm still not that far into that game and IMO its on the harder side (way harder than Spider Man IMO)

You should just get the games and try it for yourself ;)

Can't try to target the suggestions since this thread is vague on preferences, so I'll just list my personal favs. Roughly in order of best to less favorite. If you like RPGs or action/adventure with RPG elements (the genre divides are so blurry these days), then my suggests are probably up your alley. Though looking my list, it is all fairly highly acclaimed stuff with no odd-ball, niche picks like say the Atelier games (sadly they're pretty lame this generation) and the PS4 is yet to get Trails of Cold Steel outside of Japan.

Exclusives:

1. Bloodborne
  2. God of War
  3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  4. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  5. Uncharted 4

Mutli-platform: (Yes, I primarily play RPGs haha)

1. Dark Souls: Remastered
  2. Nioh
  3. Persona 5
  4. The Witcher 3
  5. Nier: Automata

Dragon Quest XI is great but I haven't finished it yet. A little over 40h into it and seems to be worth it so far, which has prevented me from trying Spider-Man. I recently revisited Horizon for the platinum trophy and I definitely enjoyed the game more in post-game than in my crit-path mostly main story only run last year. Plus that revisit wasn't immediately after post-Breath of the Wild and ME: Andromeda, so I wasn't open-world fatigued!

I guess I should not that I put the two Uncharted games because I ran out of PS4 exclusives (there aren't that many, huh?) and I'm not really that enthusiastic about Naughty Dog games. I'm sure they'll be off the list once I play Spider-Man and I'm guessing Ghost of Tsushima or Death Stranding will take its place.

14 hours ago, ono said:

Dragon Quest XI is great but I haven't finished it yet. A little over 40h into it and seems to be worth it so far, which has prevented me from trying Spider-Man

Yeah, I agree with that. Didn't mention it because its also on PC.

But I'm like 65h or so in and still not done...

14 hours ago, ono said:

I guess I should not that I put the two Uncharted games because I ran out of PS4 exclusives (there aren't that many, huh?) 

There are, you just tend to not think about them ;)

And many are rather forgettable.

But You should absolutely try Infamous.

The Order 1886 is rather forgettable (and too short)

Gravity Rush + Ratchet & Clank are also something to consider for Plattforming fans.

The Last of Us is for stealthy game fans.

Drive Club and GT Sport for Racing game fans.

For the Interactive Movie typish games, there is Detroit: Become Human wich is really good. But also Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.

The Last Guardian also an exclusive and more for the puzzle fans IMO than Action.

Killzone Shadow Fall for Shooter fans.

Knack + Knack 2 again for Plattformer fans.

Until Dawn is not something I can categorize

PS: Ni no Kuni 2 is also a good game for JRPG fans! Highly recommend it. Even over Dragon Quest. And both are also available on Steam as well.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

There are, you just tend to not think about them ;)

And many are rather forgettable.

That and I haven't played them since they don't interest me enough to prioritize playing. The PS4 Infamous games are accessible to me via PS+ but never got around to it. It'll have to be after Spider-Man though. First Light is a good place to start? It being short is appealing to me. The Last Guardian is the big one that I started and didn't finish since I wasn't patient enough... It didn't grab me like Ico or Colossus.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

PS: Ni no Kuni 2 is also a good game for JRPG fans! Highly recommend it. Even over Dragon Quest. And both are also available on Steam as well.

Ni no Kuni II is great and the first PC game I played on HDR. Couldn't get HDR to work on Windows before that. I think someone's preference over the two will be largely be based enjoying turn-based vs action more. And the town building that essentially serves as the "skill tree" in NnK II that I kind of didn't like. I'll see if my opinion changes on completion, but I so far prefer DQ. Both look gorgeous, but so far I feel more emotionally invested in DQ's characters since they've got little episodes dedicated to each one. That's largely what I like about this game: the character stories and the little episodes within a town. The overall plot with the big bad is a bit of a bore since I've only seen the villain in like 2 or 3 scenes. I had a similar problem with Ni no Kuni II.

59 minutes ago, ono said:

First Light is a good place to start? It being short is appealing to me.

Compared to Second sone, its a bit shitty, though its a Prequel to Second sone so if you want to do it for the Story, get to that first.

If you want the most fun, get Second Son first...

Personally I'd say that Second Son >>> First Light.

Its no that its a bad game, its just that Second Son is better, larger...

The Last Guardian is the big one that I started and didn't finish since I wasn't patient enough... It didn't grab me like Ico or Colossus.

I have it on Disc, bought it from the Local Aldi and also stalled it...

Seems like a special game for a special audience.

Ni no Kuni II is great and the first PC game I played on HDR. Couldn't get HDR to work on Windows before that. I think someone's preference over the two will be largely be based enjoying turn-based vs action more. And the town building that essentially serves as the "skill tree" in NnK II that I kind of didn't like.

Strange thing is that I loved the City Building stuff. It is a Timesink though...

You essentially wait for the money to come in and spend it...

You can argue that it has some issues and should have differences in the buildings that make money, so a shop should make more than a plaza. But it doesn't...

Sadly, I don't own a HDR screen ...

I'll see if my opinion changes on completion, but I so far prefer DQ. Both look gorgeous, but so far I feel more emotionally invested in DQ's characters since they've got little episodes dedicated to each one. That's largely what I like about this game: the character stories and the little episodes within a town. The overall plot with the big bad is a bit of a bore since I've only seen the villain in like 2 or 3 scenes. I had a similar problem with Ni no Kuni II.

Well, you can argue that Ni No Kuni has a USK6 label and was made for younger audience while DQ was made for older ones. 

The Story (of DQ) is nice and they didn't pull the punches... 

Really japanese story telling, if you know what I mean :)

Oh and the Game continues after you finished it as well...

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

God I gotta play the first. I bought Ni No Kuni on PSN in early 2017 and still haven't touched it. When I bought it I didn't know how amazing 2017 was going to be for PS4 games I guess, so it got buried deep in the backlog. And it'll be there a while with RDR2 coming out in 24 days. With 2019 looking kind of meh outside of Sekiro and Days Gone I'll probably try to catch up on all the PS3 classics I missed being of the XBox religion that generation.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

God I gotta play the first. I bought Ni No Kuni on PSN in early 2017 and still haven't touched it.

Naa, don't, start with the Second. Second is just soo much better...

First is kinda lame and childish. But it runs amazingly well on PS3!

Level5 really did their homework and optimized it really well and it looks pretty good (for PS3) too.

When I bought it I didn't know how amazing 2017 was going to be for PS4 games I guess, so it got buried deep in the backlog. And it'll be there a while with RDR2 coming out in 24 days. With 2019 looking kind of meh outside of Sekiro and Days Gone

Wait and see. There might be some big things coming we don't know about it yet.

Some companys seem to just release some stuff (well, at least on Steam.)

So there might be some big titles coming next year as well...

I'll probably try to catch up on all the PS3 classics I missed being of the XBox religion that generation.

Same here, same here...

Also had the 360 at the time for whatever reason (I don't remember why I haven't gotten the PS3, oh well, there were some neat JRPGs on 360 as well and they were exclusives. Like Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssee, Tales of Vesperia)...

And honestly, the 360 is a bit better than the PS3...

46 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Level5 really did their homework and optimized it really well and it looks pretty good (for PS3) too.

Wait and see. There might be some big things coming we don't know about it yet.

Some companys seem to just release some stuff (well, at least on Steam.)

So there might be some big titles coming next year as well...

Same here, same here...

Also had the 360 at the time for whatever reason (I don't remember why I haven't gotten the PS3, oh well, there were some neat JRPGs on 360 as well and they were exclusives. Like Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssee, Tales of Vesperia)...

And honestly, the 360 is a bit better than the PS3...

No way, the first Ni No Kuni looks amazing. No way I'm playing the second before the first when the first looks like a straight anime. All the big PS4 exclusives look like 2020 at best and I'm not expecting Death Stranding to beat the PS5 to market, so I'm not expecting much in 2019 from Sony. I was hoping the Tokyo Game Show would show an exciting 2019 for Nintendo considering the enormous library of JRPG the 3DS has, but I saw no Shin Megami Tensei V and no Bravely Third, so I'm expecting a lame 2019 from them too.

I bought a 360 because back in 2006 the PS3 sucked and almost every game ran way better on the 360. I do think in retrospect the PS3 is the better system, considering it started getting some truly amazing exclusives like Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 by 2009. Though 360 has the three Gears of War games, which PS3 never had a real answer to. And some great games like Bioshock and Oblivion seemed to take forever to launch on PS3 vs 360. So at the time 360 was the obviously better system, even without factoring in the price difference.

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

14 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

No way, the first Ni No Kuni looks amazing. No way I'm playing the second before the first when the first looks like a straight anime.

They both have a fantastic anime look, despite Studio Ghibli not being involved with the second game. Starting with the first is probably ideal. I can't really say which one I prefer gameplay wise since the moment to moment of the first is foggy to me now, but the story of the first Ni no Kuni is far and away more enjoyable to me. The second game's story is the one I find more lame and childish, which is fine, I don't need every game to be serious. Though some may be bothered by the prince's very childishly naive aim of uniting the world in peace. On the other hand, the first game is something you'd find out of a Studio Ghibli film like Totoro that on the surface looks like a fun time but underneath is a layer of sadness (but not Grave of the Fireflies levels of sadness). I think it may even be emotionally harder for me to play today given how more relatable the main character's situation is to me now than back when I originally played it. And if that isn't enough, there is the mystery of the fantastical world. Is it real? Or is the kid just escaping reality? I just find the story way more fascinating and engaging in the first game.

32 minutes ago, ono said:

I just find the story way more fascinating and engaging in the first game.

Yeah, but I find the fighting system of the second to be better...

On 9/30/2018 at 12:33 PM, Jonas_2006 said:

Dead by Daylight

On 9/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Stefan Payne said:

not must haves

bruh uncharted series is a must have! don't you dare!

Bolivia.

4 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

bruh uncharted series is a must have! don't you dare!

Well, I disagree.

But it is a pretty good game, though I'm not sure if I call it Must Have over Spider-Man, God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn...

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, I disagree.

But it is a pretty good game, though I'm not sure if I call it Must Have over Spider-Man, God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn...

check your taste buds! Uncharted is the adventure of a lifetime and if you miss it you will be missing out on a game which every version either got nominated for and/or won game of the year! hater, get on the elevator!

Bolivia.

1 hour ago, SupremeGOAT said:

check your taste buds!

I have played all of them. 

Started with a Thieves End wich I got for 15€ Retail, after that I did the Girls one and then I got myself the Nathan Drake Collection and played them in Order. 

1 hour ago, SupremeGOAT said:

Uncharted is the adventure of a lifetime and if you miss it you will be missing out on a game which every version either got nominated for and/or won game of the year! hater, get on the elevator!

As I said, I played them all. I don't hate them I just think that there are better games right now that should be preferred over Uncharted.

Personally I'd prefer Horizon and Spider-Man over Uncahrted...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

I have played all of them. 

Started with a Thieves End wich I got for 15€ Retail, after that I did the Girls one and then I got myself the Nathan Drake Collection and played them in Order. 

As I said, I played them all. I don't hate them I just think that there are better games right now that should be preferred over Uncharted.

Personally I'd prefer Horizon and Spider-Man over Uncahrted...

well ok...to each their own... we should be grateful if we were on xbox we couldn't argue on which exclusive we liked more...life is good... 

Bolivia.