anyone agree that the 2080 is useless compared to the 1080ti?

saif96

i've seen some benchmarks and it showed that the 2080 bearly performed better then the 1080ti and it costs way more, so whats the point in getting a 2080? ray-tracing? the 2080ti couldnt handle it well so what makes the 2080 any better with that tech..

in my view i really see any new GPU thats below the 2080ti is pretty much worthless, i feel like if people are looking for the best of the best to game on 4K, ultra 100+fps then they should go with with the 2080ti

and if people cant afford it then go with the 1080ti or lower, RTX 2070 and 2080 are pretty much not worth getting with that price point anyone agree?

Driver optimizing will change quite a lot, and for non gamers, the rtx cards are pretty damn nice, with all the compute improvements. For gaming, sure, right now the 1080ti is a way better value than 2080. But the RTX brand is not mature yet, there's a lot that can change.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, saif96 said:

i've seen some benchmarks and it showed that the 2080 bearly performed better then the 1080ti and it costs way more, so whats the point in getting a 2080? ray-tracing? the 2080ti couldnt handle it well so what makes the 2080 any better with that tech..

Overtime the 2080 will perform better than 1080 Ti especially in DX12 games.
2080 Ti couldn't handle it well? Where?

i feel like if people are looking for the best of the best to game on 4K, ultra 100+fps then they should go with with the 2080ti

I doubt 2080 Ti can get that FPS in graphic intensive games.

RTX 2070 and 2080 are pretty much not worth getting with that price point anyone agree?

Yes to 2080 but 2070 probably worth it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

2080 Ti couldn't handle it well? Where?

Probably referring to the tomb raider benchmark that got less than 60fps with Ray tracing on

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Probably referring to the tomb raider benchmark that got less than 60fps with Ray tracing on

and bf5

2080 at this point is a waste of money, maybe things will change if more games adopt ray tracing or use DLSS, but that might take years.

2070 i honestly feel will be even more pointless due to the cost compared to a 1080, but we don't have benchmarks yet.

1 hour ago, saif96 said:

in my view i really see any new GPU thats below the 2080ti is pretty much worthless, i feel like if people are looking for the best of the best to game on 4K, ultra 100+fps then they should go with with the 2080ti

and if people cant afford it then go with the 1080ti or lower, RTX 2070 and 2080 are pretty much not worth getting with that price point anyone agree?

Is the 2080 useless? No, it is capable card. But is it worth it? That remains to be seen, Nvidia has built a capable card, the issue  is that the software to make it worth it for many customers has yet to materialize. The 20 series will probably be a boon in super computers, and in film making, but for the average consumer, I would say that at the moment the 20 series is neither worth your time or money, this gen is too much of a jack of all trades and master of none, it would need to be significantly faster at Raytracing to make it worth it for most people, or better at rasterization, or at least be 30% cheaper.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

LOOK HOW MUCH OF AN IMPROVMENT THE 2080 HAS WITH DLSS, 50 PERCENT AT SOUND POINTS BUT ALWAYS AROUND 40, IT BEATS THE 2080TI WITHOUT DLSS ASWELL, WHICH POINTS IT AT A MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE PER MONEY VALUE WHEN GAMES GET DLSS, TOMB RAIDER WILL BE GETTING IT SOON, AND A BIG LIST OF GAMES ALREADY OUT BEING PATCHED FOR IT 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

16 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Overtime the 2080 will perform better than 1080 Ti especially in DX12 games.

I don't know if you have played with the DX12 API but if you haven't let me tell you that you have virtually no benefit if you don't have both a CPU and a GPU bottleneck. Other people in my shoes will understand the hassle of switching and learning a new API when the DX10/11 (pretty much the same code wise) does same performance for 99% of the people. Plus they need more recent hardware. Knowing how fast the industry change i would say we won't see a major switch to DX12 for another 2 years. Jump from DX9 to 10 was much easier and worth the shot back then. It happen slightly before the first Crysis game. Probably around Nvidia 100 series IIRC.

1 hour ago, Franck said:

I don't know if you have played with the DX12 API but if you haven't let me tell you that you have virtually no benefit if you don't have both a CPU and a GPU bottleneck. Other people in my shoes will understand the hassle of switching and learning a new API when the DX10/11 (pretty much the same code wise) does same performance for 99% of the people. Plus they need more recent hardware. Knowing how fast the industry change i would say we won't see a major switch to DX12 for another 2 years. Jump from DX9 to 10 was much easier and worth the shot back then. It happen slightly before the first Crysis game. Probably around Nvidia 100 series IIRC.

No i'm not, i'm just your regular pcmr gamer.

DLSS/RTX is DX12/Vulkan only am i right? If Nvidia/game dev want to push these technology they need to release DX12/Vulkan games a.s.a.p. 

I'm not sure if DLSS is available on Vulkan yet or not. 

2 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

LOOK HOW MUCH OF AN IMPROVMENT THE 2080 HAS WITH DLSS.

Give me comparison from real gameplay, anyone can optimized the shit out of synthetic benchmark or demo, especially Nvidia.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

No i'm not, i'm just your regular pcmr gamer.

DLSS/RTX is DX12/Vulkan only am i right? If Nvidia/game dev want to push these technology they need to release DX12/Vulkan games a.s.a.p. 

I'm not sure if DLSS is available on Vulkan yet or not. 

Give me comparison from real gameplay, anyone can optimized the shit out of synthetic benchmark or demo, especially Nvidia.

Well, i haven't checked the DLSS specs but as for vulkan that is another story. Vulkan theoretically have no limits. It's as advanced as the code you can write. But i do believe i have read somewhere in the tech news section that the ray tracing with the tensor core is using a version of Vulkan. It would make sense for the endless multithreaded feature of that API. Would need someone to confirm that.

Funny fact is that DXVK can convert DirectX inputs into Vulkan so if DLSS run on DirectX and someone use DXVK to run it on Vulkan that technically make Vulkan running DLSS ? i don't know for sure but it sounds like it.

I foresee much more Vulkan releases compared to Dx12 in the next 2 years. Vulkan is slightly easier to pickup from OpenGL than Dx11 to Dx12.

Anyhow Vulkan is not enough advanced yet to have good comparaison versus Dx12 and those out so far shoes them equivalent or Vulkan in a small lead. But to me it's too early to call a winner yet.