Question about PCIe lanes with 970 PRO M.2 drive

partymarty
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,
2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Yeah, when I run the M.2 drive in Sata mode Sata1 stops working. When I set it to run in PCIe mode it disables sata port 5 and 6.

That just proves that its using the x4 lanes from the Chipset and not the x16 lanes from the CPU.

Hello,

I've just installed a Samsung 970 PRO PCIe NVMe onto my Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO.

I've got a question about it:

I've installed the M.2 drive in the M.2-1 slot (the one underneath the cooling thingy), in the bios I've set the drive to PCIe mode (instead of SATA), now I expected my GPU to run at x8 and my M.2 drive at x4 because my 8700k only has 16 lanes. When I check this with GPU-z, my GPU is still running at x16, how can this be?

Can somebody explain to me how this is possible? Should I change something? 

Thanks in advance <3

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

The M.2 is going trough the chipset which gives you another x4 lanes but you likely disabled some of the SATA ports on the motherboard by enabling that M.2

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The M.2 is going trough the chipset which gives you another x4 lanes but you likely disabled some of the SATA ports on the motherboard by enabling that M.2

Yeah, when I run the M.2 drive in Sata mode Sata1 stops working. When I set it to run in PCIe mode it disables sata port 5 and 6.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

That just proves that its using the x4 lanes from the Chipset and not the x16 lanes from the CPU.

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's uses the lanes from the chipset. Not the CPU.