Looking for laptop around 650 usd

Aldoarip
Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
5 hours ago, Andrew54 said:

HP Spectre doesn't have a Dedicated GPU

The 15 inch model has.

4 hours ago, Aldoarip said:

They advertised acer swift 3 as having 12 hours of battery life tho

Expect 8 hrs. Tip: Cut down 25-30% of the advertised battery life to obtain real world battery life (not under medium/heavy load)

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Avoid MX-4

Okay. I think I should bring it to the store with the ram and ssd. They said it will void the warranty if I do it myself.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:05 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Should help. Repaste is even better

with liquid metal

Reminder to always be happy even in tough situations 🙂

6 minutes ago, Aldoarip said:

They said it will void the warranty if I do it myself.

There's no such thing actually. The warranty will void only if you break something. They don't have the rights to void the warranty by doing upgrades

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, Andrew54 said:

with liquid metal

Very risky since you must know the precautions and correct application method

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Very risky since you must know the precautions and correct application method

but hey at least it cools down the CPU and GPU drastically,thx to linus who shows us the way to apply it 

9 minutes ago, Andrew54 said:

with liquid metal

Nah, I don't think it's worth the risk. It's a budget laptop anyway, no need for something fancy.

18 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

There's no such thing actually. The warranty will void only if you break something. They don't have the rights to void the warranty by doing upgrades

They said something about not having backdoor compartment, so upgrading ram or adding ssd will void the warranty. Meanwhile, the aspire e5 476g has it and upgrading will not void the warranty.

42 minutes ago, Aldoarip said:

They said something about not having backdoor compartment, so upgrading ram or adding ssd will void the warranty. Meanwhile, the aspire e5 476g has it and upgrading will not void the warranty.

I've opened up my previous Y520 a few times (warranty sticker gone) and I still get a few warranty services.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Liquid metal:

I would avoid this in a laptop. By is very nature it won't cure/solidify. In a laptop which is used at different orientations, in the bathtub, on a mountaintop, juggled, or yelled at, the TIM could run and cause shorts of other components. Also, it requires annual replacement to maintain optimal performance. I should also mention that this is secondhand knowledge, I haven't used it myself. I am basing my opinion on short and long-term reviews by reviewers (with disposable hardware) whose opinions I have come to trust, and therefore haven't found the potential benefits worth the risk to a daily driver system that I rely on. If you are in a position to accept the risk, the thermal benefits will be noticeable however.

Battery life:

Battery life is simply:

Runtime (hr) = battery capacity (Whr) / system power consumtion (W) -- the Watts cancel, leaving the number of hours as the result.

I don't have any model recommendations better than what has already been suggested. I have found that ultrabook/thin-and-light class hardware in a 15 inch chassis provides the best value. Core i5, SSD, and lower-power RAM with a larger battery provides good runtime, while the larger chassis reduces cost significantly. And if you aren't too serious about gaming, I have been able to run all but a select few 2017/2018 games on a I5-6250u iGPU, albeit at lowered resolution and quality. If you can get by without a dedicated GPU, that will expand your options in your price range significantly.

An another option is to get a Thunderbolt-3-capable system, and get by for now with the iGPU until you can get an eGPU later. The HP Spectre can be found for $600 to $800 US and supports TB3.

6 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I've opened up my previous Y520 a few times (warranty sticker gone) and I still get a few warranty services.

Maybe Lenovo's policy is better than Acer. It's a bit silly of Acer preventing users upgrading certain laptops on their own. They ask for ~11 bucks too when doing upgrades (ram,ssd). How stupid of them.

2 hours ago, deferentlemur said:

Liquid metal:

I would avoid this in a laptop. By is very nature it won't cure/solidify. In a laptop which is used at different orientations, in the bathtub, on a mountaintop, juggled, or yelled at, the TIM could run and cause shorts of other components. Also, it requires annual replacement to maintain optimal performance. I should also mention that this is secondhand knowledge, I haven't used it myself. I am basing my opinion on short and long-term reviews by reviewers (with disposable hardware) whose opinions I have come to trust, and therefore haven't found the potential benefits worth the risk to a daily driver system that I rely on. If you are in a position to accept the risk, the thermal benefits will be noticeable however.

Battery life:

Battery life is simply:

Runtime (hr) = battery capacity (Whr) / system power consumtion (W) -- the Watts cancel, leaving the number of hours as the result.

I don't have any model recommendations better than what has already been suggested. I have found that ultrabook/thin-and-light class hardware in a 15 inch chassis provides the best value. Core i5, SSD, and lower-power RAM with a larger battery provides good runtime, while the larger chassis reduces cost significantly. And if you aren't too serious about gaming, I have been able to run all but a select few 2017/2018 games on a I5-6250u iGPU, albeit at lowered resolution and quality. If you can get by without a dedicated GPU, that will expand your options in your price range significantly.

An another option is to get a Thunderbolt-3-capable system, and get by for now with the iGPU until you can get an eGPU later. The HP Spectre can be found for $600 to $800 US and supports TB3.

i mean its sort of true that its very risky to use a liquid metal on a laptop but hey its worth the tradeoff

but the HP Spectre doesn't have a Dedicated GPU (maybe some model did had it) and i don't think he can afford such like an external gpu tho cuz its kind of expensive anyway and those that are cheap may void the warranty

2 hours ago, deferentlemur said:

Liquid metal:

Battery life:

Battery life is simply:

I agree with you on liquid metal. It's just not worth it on a laptop, and a budget one at that.

Unfortunately, I'm a gamer so I need that dgpu. They advertised acer swift 3 as having 12 hours of battery life tho. I guess I'm gonna be fine.

The cheapest hp spectre that I can find is Hp spectre x360 g2 with i5 6200u, intel hd 520, 4gb of ram, 128gb ssd and costs around ~870 usd which is way out of my budget. That thing doesn't have tb3 port too. So I guess I'll pass.

14 minutes ago, Andrew54 said:

i mean its sort of true that its very risky to use a liquid metal on a laptop but hey its worth the tradeoff

but the HP Spectre doesn't have a Dedicated GPU (maybe some model did had it) and i don't think he can afford such like an external gpu tho cuz its kind of expensive anyway and those that are cheap may void the warranty

Yeah, egpu enclosure is really expensive. Everything regarding pc is horribly overpiced here in Indonesia.

3 hours ago, Aldoarip said:

Yeah, egpu enclosure is really expensive. Everything regarding pc is horribly overpiced here in Indonesia.

True. it will probably cost $100-$200 (USD) more to do an eGPU compared to internal dedicated. I was thinking more about spreading out the cost,

The problem is that "gaming" laptops typically come with H/HQ-series processors, which use a lot of power. The MSI Stealth series, and Razers, do a good job with power management and can probably get you 4-6 hours of light use, but the costs are 2-5x your stated budget.The HP Spectre 15" and Asus 14" Zenbook-something-or-other can be had with a MX150 gpu and 8xxxU series processor, but the MX150 is good but probably won't be relevant in a year or two. And both are double your stated budget.

I should probably plug my Acer Nitro Spin 5, since it sounds like you have the same requirements as me when I needed a new laptop. It has an i7-8550U CPU and GTX 1050 4GB, and costs $800-$1000 USD, if you can go a little higher on price. I get 6-10 hours from it depending on what I am doing, it handles any games or compute tasks I throw at it, and I am surprised at how happy I am with it. The cooling design is a complete joke, but I posted a writeup somewhere here about the work I did to fix that.

5 hours ago, Andrew54 said:

HP Spectre doesn't have a Dedicated GPU

The 15 inch model has.

4 hours ago, Aldoarip said:

They advertised acer swift 3 as having 12 hours of battery life tho

Expect 8 hrs. Tip: Cut down 25-30% of the advertised battery life to obtain real world battery life (not under medium/heavy load)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, deferentlemur said:

True. it will probably cost $100-$200 (USD) more to do an eGPU compared to internal dedicated. I was thinking more about spreading out the cost,

The problem is that "gaming" laptops typically come with H/HQ-series processors, which use a lot of power. The MSI Stealth series, and Razers, do a good job with power management and can probably get you 4-6 hours of light use, but the costs are 2-5x your stated budget.The HP Spectre 15" and Asus 14" Zenbook-something-or-other can be had with a MX150 gpu and 8xxxU series processor, but the MX150 is good but probably won't be relevant in a year or two. And both are double your stated budget.

I should probably plug my Acer Nitro Spin 5, since it sounds like you have the same requirements as me when I needed a new laptop. It has an i7-8550U CPU and GTX 1050 4GB, and costs $800-$1000 USD, if you can go a little higher on price. I get 6-10 hours from it depending on what I am doing, it handles any games or compute tasks I throw at it, and I am surprised at how happy I am with it. The cooling design is a complete joke, but I posted a writeup somewhere here about the work I did to fix that.

Yeah anything over mx150 and i5 8250u is way over my budget. I think I will manage just fine with mx150.

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

The 15 inch model has.

Let's hope it does, cause I'm not to keen on plugging in chargers while in class.