2080 VS 1070 SLI benchmarks. A true Side-grade

reptileexperts

So I wanted to get away from SLI to cool down my system a bit. Maybe prepare for a water loop again and clean things up. Bring on the new RTX cards, no benchmarks aside, I pre-ordered the 2080ti knowing it would still be the highest end card on the market. . . fast forward to benchmarks and the dollar to frame ratio was simply insane, so I went ahead and returned my 2080ti and picked up a reference 2080 for a fraction of the cost thanks to a birthday discount at best buy. My current rig was a SLI 1070 Strix edition setup, paired with a water cooled AIO 8700k @ 5ghz at 1.4V. I have had no issues with SLI scaling by in large, but again wanted to cool things down and try a single card solution. 

So what did I find? It's a side grade. I knew it would be since 1070 SLI goes head to head and beats out 1080ti's on certain tests. The 2080 performed similar to a 1080ti so this should be the same. 

In shadows of the tomb raider benchmark, fully maxed out at 1440p, the 2080 eeks past the 1070 SLI despite near perfect SLI scaling

5ba658eb991e3_1070SLIOCvs2080OC.thumb.JPG.c7d97c4781867e47acd2c45c26b37ca8.JPG

Makes me happy, since I know this is what most newer games will compare to. 

Going to synthetic benches, we see a slightly different story.

5ba65925387ca_FSultra.JPG.5af9c55d8cabb3b4ede687eb43f1e280.JPG

5ba6592443d9e_firestrikeultrartx.JPG.29ac9117b9aa1b16a8344e26724cd4fb.JPG

Oddly enough, the new drivers reduced my typical ultra score by around 500 points as my system would typically be above 8k. .  . but this was tit for tat with current drivers at current system settings. SLI rig destroys the 2080

5ba6592639b65_timespy.thumb.JPG.15bd6c8b20b29161b764565052093981.JPG

Time Spy, again 1070 SLI comes out dominating the competition. The score in the background was the non-official benchmark pre-release. My score became much closer. 

5ba6592595492_rtxtimespy.JPG.c6ec2e6bc88b0915447fb6c0271d4019.JPG

More realistic to what we saw in tomb raider, but still showing synthetic benchmarks giving perfect SLI scaling. 

All in all I am happy with my results, and will go ahead and SLI NVI-Link 2080's in the very near future once i sell my 1070's to cover the second card. The single card performance is beautiful, and the system is extremely quiet under load. The fans never get past 2100 RPM, which keeps things quiet and cool-ish holding the temps around 81 C during intensive gaming. Seems to be the common temperature among all the reviews that's been posted. 

As far as overclock goes. . . 

image.png.ad5a0824a948cbf9453c7b864ec7016f.png

I was successful after some tinkering of hitting +170 on Core, +320 on memory. This was a manual overclock as scanner has not yet been released? (that I've found)

Love or hate RTX. even the 2080 is an insane card. 

42297472_459909531163783_5063107207453736960_n.thumb.jpg.7de03e28523592fa9c310afaec98b44a.jpg

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

nice.

im sad and stuck with a single 1070. I might upgrade to a 1080 ti once it goes below 600$.

1 minute ago, EOZ said:

GTX 1080Ti is better deal than RTX 2080

not when DLSS is considered. Also a 1080ti Strix, was the exact same cost new as my 2080 reference finding the best deal on both at 719.00

1 minute ago, reptileexperts said:

not when DLSS is considered

In which games now you can use it ? xD

Just now, EOZ said:

In which games now you can use it ? xD

Give it 1 month time. We wont talk about Ray-tracing though... as that will simply destroy a systems performance. 

Just now, reptileexperts said:

Give it 1 month time. We wont talk about Ray-tracing though... as that will simply destroy a systems performance. 

Nvidia has to train the neural networks themselves. It takes a lot of time, and they have to do it on a game by game basis. Even in a month I can't see more than 1 or 2 games getting support for it.

That being said, $720 is not too much to pay for one. A 1080 ti could be had new for $650 ish but it is a little bit slower.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I was really hoping for an upgrade to Pascal. Historically, every 2 years typically nets a decent jump in performance, even if year 1 of 2 didn't see a product release (eg Maxwell to Pascal). As a Pascal owner, Turing is a disappointment. I wouldn't mind upgrading if I could get at least a 50% bump in performance and the high end cards didn't cost so much. But coming from SLI 1080Ti, it's not really worth it. Also, the fact that the 2080 is the mid range Turing GPU (TU104) and they want $800 for it is extremely off putting. Hopefully the next series cards don't cost as much.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

15 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

I was really hoping for an upgrade to Pascal. Historically, every 2 years typically nets a decent jump in performance, even if year 1 of 2 didn't see a product release (eg Maxwell to Pascal). As a Pascal owner, Turing is a disappointment. I wouldn't mind upgrading if I could get at least a 50% bump in performance and the high end cards didn't cost so much. But coming from SLI 1080Ti, it's not really worth it. Also, the fact that the 2080 is the mid range Turing GPU (TU104) and they want $800 for it is extremely off putting. Hopefully the next series cards don't cost as much.

Definitely the early adopter tax. 

23 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

Definitely the early adopter tax. 

Indeed. What's even more aggravating about it is Nvidia might be bringing Ray Tracing to Pascal.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/974470-geforce-41163-driver-ray-tracing-support-for-pascal-with-8gb-vram-or-more/

Makes me wonder if high end Pascal will see something comparable to DLSS in the future.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Indeed. What's even more aggravating about it is Nvidia might be bringing Ray Tracing to Pascal.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/974470-geforce-41163-driver-ray-tracing-support-for-pascal-with-8gb-vram-or-more/

Makes me wonder if high end Pascal will see something comparable to DLSS in the future.

THAT will make a big difference 

2 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

I would assume that it would be much slower than RTX cards at RT though. I guess we'll have to see.

2 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

DLSS works off of the tensor cores in Turing. That means that unfortunately it's not possible for it to come to Pascal; the only thing that might get it is the Titan V :P

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

I would assume that it would be much slower than RTX cards at RT though. I guess we'll have to see.

DLSS works off of the tensor cores in Turing. That means that unfortunately it's not possible for it to come to Pascal; the only thing that might get it is the Titan V :P

I know :P

It uses predictive image reconstruction to upscale. I don't see any reason why they couldn't eventually do a "dumb approximation", or offer an alternative more akin to checkerboard rendering. I mean, if they can bring Ray Tracing to Pascal on Vulkan via driver updates, then I'm sure they can bring in a comparable upscaling technique to DLSS.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

17 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Nvidia has to train the neural networks themselves. It takes a lot of time, and they have to do it on a game by game basis. Even in a month I can't see more than 1 or 2 games getting support for it.

Yeah when you talk about implementation in already existing games. If we are talking about future AAA titles then I think Tom Petersen suggested it can be done with the code supplied to them anyway for game ready drivers preparation.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

20 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

I know :P

It uses predictive image reconstruction to upscale. I don't see any reason why they couldn't eventually do a "dumb approximation", or offer an alternative more akin to checkerboard rendering. I mean, if they can bring Ray Tracing to Pascal on Vulkan via driver updates, then I'm sure they can bring in a comparable upscaling technique to DLSS.

Ray tracing to Pascal I believe was added much like how ray tracing was added by AMD to their driver stack: they use hardware already there for the computations, but it's much, much slower than on Turing. DLSS explicitly relies on the tensor cores to do its job; if they added an equivalent to older GPUs I would expect it to be much slower than DLSS on Turing, by which point you're probably better off just using normal AA.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but sadly I can't see it happening :/ 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but sadly I can't see it happening :/ 

Right or wrong, I'd love to see at least SOME form of upscaling finally hit the PC space and non-Turing cards. DLSS, checkerboard, or something else entirely. Doing so would certainly make a lot more cards "4k worthy", which is pretty important IMHO with 4k 144Hz displays coming out.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Right or wrong, I'd love to see at least SOME form of upscaling finally hit the PC space and non-Turing cards. DLSS, checkerboard, or something else entirely. Doing so would certainly make a lot more cards "4k worthy", which is pretty important IMHO with 4k 144Hz displays coming out.

AA basically is upscaling :P DLSS is supposed to be AA for Turing cards

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

AA basically is upscaling :P DLSS is supposed to be AA for Turing cards

Downscaling actually :P

AA renders at a higher resolution than your monitor and resizes to match. Upscaling takes a 1080p/1440p image and approximates it into 4k using things like checkerboard rendering, which is something PC's don't currently have. If you render a 1080p or 1440p image with large amounts of AA, you still get considerable blurring caused by interpolation. Upscaling does a much better job at reducing the blur and provides a much cleaner image.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Frankenburger said:

Downscaling actually :P

AA renders at a higher resolution than your monitor and resizes to match. Upscaling takes a 1080p/1440p image and approximates it into 4k using things like checkerboard rendering, which is something PC's don't currently have. If you render a 1080p or 1440p image with large amounts of AA, you still get considerable blurring caused by interpolation. Upscaling does a much better job at reducing the blur and provides a much cleaner image.

Whoops I misunderstood you and confused the words :P.

My understanding though is that DLSS behaves similarly to AA, aka it downscales

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Whoops I misunderstood you and confused the words :P.

My understanding though is that DLSS behaves similarly to AA, aka it downscales

No worries :)

DLSS is actually more of an AA by upscaling technique, so you're not entirely wrong. Kinda weird in theory considering what we've had access to with past hardware, but Nvidia "trains the AI cores" at their HQ to "reconstruct a supersampled image" from a lower resolution source image. DLSS basically emulates supersampling then upscales. The result is you get 1440p performance at 4k while offering the same or better IQ than 4k with TAA.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

No worries :)

DLSS is actually more of an AA by upscaling technique, so you're not entirely wrong. Kinda weird in theory considering what we've had access to with past hardware, but Nvidia "trains the AI cores" at their HQ to "reconstruct a supersampled image" from a lower resolution source image. DLSS basically emulates supersampling then upscales. The result is you get 1440p performance at 4k while offering the same or better IQ than 4k with TAA.

Just read up and you're right, it seems to be a hybrid of sorts. That's actually quite interesting. DLSS seems to be cooler than I thought.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Just read up and you're right, it seems to be a hybrid of sorts. That's actually quite interesting. DLSS seems to be cooler than I thought.

Indeed. I just hope the task of training the cores for each individual game isn't too daunting of a task for Nvidia. I mean, they can barely keep up with managing SLI, even though most SLI fixes only need a change in compatibility bits. I'd imagine training the AI would take a lot longer than that to get DLSS working properly.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

On 22/09/2018 at 4:11 PM, reptileexperts said:

not when DLSS is considered. Also a 1080ti Strix, was the exact same cost new as my 2080 reference finding the best deal on both at 719.00

I'm happy to wait until things get released and then sell my 1080 Ti SLI. Until then I'm happy with what I have. I saturate my displays with 1080 TI SLI far beyond anyway.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:13 PM, reptileexperts said:

You understand DLSS is just anti-aliasing right? not magic.

I mean you made a huge thread to say something every one in here could have told you beforehand, yes a 1070 2waySLI is about the performance of a 2080 when scaling is nice.

I understand getting the 2080 Ti since you'd have better experience with a single card and have room for an even better SLI configuration afterwards, returning it for the 2080 was rather a weird decision to me personally.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

You understand DLSS is just anti-aliasing right? not magic.

I mean you made a huge thread to say something every one in here could have told you beforehand, yes a 1070 2waySLI is about the performance of a 2080 when scaling is nice.

I understand getting the 2080 Ti since you'd have better experience with a single card and have room for an even better SLI configuration afterwards, returning it for the 2080 was rather a weird decision to me personally.

How so? it's trading SLI what ifs for single card solution is if it performs at 100% all the time plus the ability to go back to SLI and get even better performance. To each their own. Just giving an example out there for folks to reference.