Build Log - My kinda old/kinda new machine [Please review]

Hello [First post, yay]!

I, like so many others of you, have a gaming rig. And atm I'm looking at it and wondering where the best place to upgrade might be in my system next. I think this is the right forum to post in, but I'm not totally sure, so please - do point me in the right direction if this is the case.

Now - the build:

• CPU: Intel - Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz (not OC'ed, I'm too scared)
    • Cooler: Corsair Single fan liquid cooler. Not sure which one though.. The H60 54.0 CFM seems like the one I have though
  • Motherboard: Asus - P8Z77-V LE
  • Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 4x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
  • Storage - PcPartPicker link inaccurate:
    • 512 GB SSD for games and development
    • 128 GB SSD for OS and software
    • 56 GB SSD for Linux OS
    • 2 TB SATA Disk for storage (kinda old drive - needs upgrade, but not important)
  • GPU: ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 1070 8GB
  • PSU - can't remember the make but I'm pretty sure it's an EVGA Brand 650W or 750W PSU
  • Monitor: 27" MSI Optix MAG271C 27" Monitor 1ms 144hz 1080p Full HD

PcPartPicker link

Can someone tell me where I should upgrade to get better performance? And would it be safe to OC my CPU in a system like this? Thanks!

A simple software developer from the far away land of Denmark

Budget for upgrade?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

What budget do you have? I would upgrade CPU+Mobo+RAM to get them up to date because that i7 2600k at stock is a bottleneck for 1070.

Tell us how much you want to spend, and we can go from there.

Welcome to LTT Forum!

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

My budget for upgrades would be around 550 USD I think :)

10 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

What budget do you have? I would upgrade CPU+Mobo+RAM to get them up to date because that i7 2600k at stock is a bottleneck for 1070.

Tell us how much you want to spend, and we can go from there.

Welcome to LTT Forum!

Thanks btw! :)

Another question - would it be possible to OC the 2700k enough to get it up to par with handling the workload? Or is that just a stupid idea?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, IncrediblePony said:

OC the 2700k enough to get it up to par with handling the workload?

I mean, this is an option, but in my opinion, even a 2nd gen i7 should still be kicking. Do you notice anything serious that you feel is holding you back?

You can definitely do an upgrade on your budget:

Intel

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.95 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($139.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $553.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-07 10:11 EDT-0400

AMD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($103.13 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($139.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $453.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-07 10:13 EDT-0400

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

I don't necessarily feel any bottlenecks, and on every benchmark list I have seen out there, ther 2nd gen i7 k processors still kick it all the way up there with the ryzen 5's and 6th gen i5s and even higher in some cases.

The question was really wether or not I had any serious bottlenecks in my system, because It's been a while since I upgraded any internal things in my PC :) So if I had any glaringly obvious bottlenecks, that's where I would start. Otherwise I would re-evaluate my harddrive and/or case setup :)

1 hour ago, IncrediblePony said:

I don't necessarily feel any bottlenecks

If you don't feel any bottlenecks then there are no bottlenecks for your workload. The term 'bottleneck' requires there to be some sort of slow down or dip in performance that you can notice. If you hardware is working for you, then you are golden. If you don't see any serious issues with your user experience, I'd say don't worry about it. (To me I don't see any glaringly obvious bottlenecks). I know that your i7 is old but since it is an i7 I say it's fine. If it were a 2nd gen i5 I'd say upgrade it.

As for the HDD upgrade, here are some good choices in a HDD, SSD, and my second choice in SSD.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 12:25 AM, MandoPanda said:

If you don't feel any bottlenecks then there are no bottlenecks for your workload. The term 'bottleneck' requires there to be some sort of slow down or dip in performance that you can notice. If you hardware is working for you, then you are golden.

As for the HDD upgrade, here are some good choices in a HDD, SSD, and my second choice in SSD.

Well, it's not completely true

An example, my system should be able to run PUBG at 1080p max settings at 144hz - but there are many inconsistencies in my framerate.
Likewise, my PC should be able to handle Kerbal Space Program, even with larger crafts, but when I make a Mk3 SSTO Vessel, my framerate TANKS bigtime (I suspect, processor or MOBO issues)

CS:GO is ofc not a problem and neither is games like Witcher 3. I have no benchmark tools for my system, because I cba to actually purchase Cinebench or 3d Mark or whatever those tools are called :) 

8 minutes ago, IncrediblePony said:

inconsistencies in my framerate.

It seems like you are necessarily feeling a bottleneck then.

You can use the suggestions I posted above for your upgrade.

1 minute ago, MandoPanda said:

It seems like you are necessarily feeling a bottleneck then.

You can use the suggestions I posted above for your upgrade.

Wonderful :) Thx for your help and patience :D 

I might wait for a bit though, I have my eye set on either a desk pc build or a tiny case build just for the thrill of it :)

I mean, you could still try overclocking your 2600k, if you are going to replace it otherwise. If something goes wrong you can just buy a new CPU when that happens.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, IncrediblePony said:

Another question - would it be possible to OC the 2700k enough to get it up to par with handling the workload? Or is that just a stupid idea?

The HardwareCanucks video below might give you an idea on performance:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2600k 1080 ti canucks&qs=n&form=QBVR&sp=-1&pq=2600k 1080 ti ca&sc=0-16&sk=&cvid=868DD3D80613441FA69C35B287FB07B4

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti