Taking care of how you handle your PSU

[Walter/RGP]
Go to solution Solved by Dttocs,

Didn't you use the insulation pads under the psu to stop it from shorting on the chassis ;)

A little more than a month ago I had fixed my noisy power supply unit. A 500W one. Not a known brand, but my best until today. Yesterday I was working on overclock my FSB+GPU+RAM+PROCESSOR. Not a big deal, considering that those specs where an old ASUS P5S800-VM MOBO / Nvidia GeForce 6200 LE / 2x1GB DDR 400 / Pentium LGA775 2.66GHz (1c1t) 1MB/533MHz... Not a big deal. Not very efficient also. Well, today I tried to turn it on, and boom! Sparkles from the back side of my PC (At least the light of it). I guessed well when I thought what would be burned, but there were more than a broken fuse. This is the picture under the PSU's PCB.

IMG_20180918_193635.jpg

14 minutes ago, [Walter/RGP] said:

A little more than a month ago I had fixed my noisy power supply unit.

How did you fix it?

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

How did you fix it?

Badly by the looks of it. ;)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

15 minutes ago, [Walter/RGP] said:

A little more than a month ago I had fixed my noisy power supply unit. A 500W one. Not a known brand, but my best until today. Yesterday I was working on overclock my FSB+GPU+RAM+PROCESSOR. Not a big deal, considering that those specs where an old ASUS P5S800-VM MOBO / Nvidia GeForce 6200 LE / 2x1GB DDR 400 / Pentium LGA775 2.66GHz (1c1t) 1MB/533MHz... Not a big deal. Not very efficient also. Well, today I tried to turn it on, and boom! Sparkles from the back side of my PC (At least the light of it). I guessed well when I thought what would be burned, but there were more than a broken fuse. This is the picture under the PSU's PCB.

-image-

This is why you don't use CHEAP power supplies. Even a CM500 or old EVGA 500B or 430W would have been better. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

You should've been more careful opening it up. The caps could potentially shock you.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

30 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Badly by the looks of it. ;)

Hey Alex, I thought already about that, my mistake was not isolate the contact between case and PCB's metallic contacts. Surely a lesson to learn today. That's the good thing about not knowing everything and having people to talk about it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

How did you fix it?

Funny thing, it worked better than before. I desoldered the 2 tiny transformers which were beside the big one, and soldered them back as tight as I could. And Voila! No noise, at least most of the time, switching on and off the I/O buton the noise stopped, most of the time. What leads to the question, did I really fix it? Well, certainly the screen and hearing noise had diminished a lot. But after that overclocking night... It died.

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

The photo would tell us much more if it showed the upper side of the PCB. Most likely a blown primary switcher based on the burn location. 

And as far as I can see, nothing looks damaged on the top of the PCB. Posting picture...15373181298651491087285.thumb.jpg.4e174c434f31ab6844b4d957594bd017.jpg

15373182473951450326353.jpg

Edited by [Walter/RGP]
Writing mistakes

50 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You should've been more careful opening it up. The caps could potentially shock you.

I'm very careful about it. I already study it, I'm qualified to do it. Don't worry. I use to discharge CRT tubes containing from 22000 to 45000 volts, those were really dangerous ones. :D

1 hour ago, Brink2Three said:

This is why you don't use CHEAP power supplies. Even a CM500 or old EVGA 500B or 430W would have been better. 

I can imagine that, but I'm in a very tight budget now, and as I mentioned earlier, it was my best one around. And this is also my own rig. Is a lesson to learn: between charged surfaces use isolation, unless you want them to touch each other. I hope the motherboard and the rest of the parts to be good to go again with another PSU. Thanks for your reply.

Seems likely you just left a bit too much solder on and the surge from power up caused it to arc to the grounded case.

Good PSUs usually are plastic lined or at least have a much bigger gap between the PCB and the case.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Seems likely you just left a bit too much solder on and the surge from power up caused it to arc to the grounded case.

Good PSUs usually are plastic lined or at least have a much bigger gap between the PCB and the case.

Yes, that gap was the problem. And no plastic protection in between. I usually solder with just the enough solder. I think that's not the matter. I think... Thanks for your contribution.

8 hours ago, [Walter/RGP] said:

And as far as I can see, nothing looks damaged on the top of the PCB. Posting picture...

That's a trainwreck of PSU.

Hope that it didn't kill anything its the worst thing that can happen.

Get a good one, not one for like 5€ on eBay...

So do something good for the rig and replace the PSU with a better quality one.

You would also save on power as the efficiency should go up from ~60% to 80-85%...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's a trainwreck of PSU.

Hope that it didn't kill anything its the worst thing that can happen.

Get a good one, not one for like 5€ on eBay...

So do something good for the rig and replace the PSU with a better quality one.

You would also save on power as the efficiency should go up from ~60% to 80-85%...

I could do it, but I live in Paraguay. My budget and my interest of getting a new one are just null. I have old hardware as you read in the beginning of the thread, it was a "backup" system, I still have my Athlon II Dual-Core M300 in a CQ61 notebook. Not a monster machine, but it works twice as good as the rig with the burned PSU. I could raise funds with Patreon. But it needs people's interest to do it effectively. By now, I'm raising value & credibility as a Computer tech/builder. Thanks for your reply.

6 hours ago, Dttocs said:

Didn't you use the insulation pads under the psu to stop it from shorting on the chassis ;)

Yes! That's the thing! But it didn't had one. Bad mine.