Nvidia CPU?

Car712

Wouldn't a Nvidia CPU be a great idea? I mean, if they made a CPU that would somehow increase the performance and compatibility, of say, the RTX 2080, while also being made for mostly gaming, that would be awesome!

Somehow is the right term. How would an Nvidia magically make a gpu be better? A CPU and GPU have such different jobs, and Nvidia would probably make lesser CPUs to segment their engineering into CPUs. Also, and Nvidia CPU would do nothing to help the urban myth that an AMD CPU somehow reduces the performance of an Nvidia graphics card because AMD makes it so that it makes the graphics performance worse to make AMD graphics cards look better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

somehow

here's the issue: what you're somehow hoping on, is magic. it is not something that can work in this world. maybe they could on paper make such a thing, but it would be such hell to get into the mainstream that even nvidia would go bankrupt pushing the product before it got adopted.

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Somehow is the right term. How would an Nvidia magically make a gpu be better? A CPU and GPU have such different jobs, and Nvidia would probably make lesser CPUs to segment their engineering into CPUs. Also, and Nvidia CPU would do nothing to help the urban myth that an AMD CPU somehow reduces the performance of an Nvidia graphics card because AMD makes it so that it makes the graphics performance worse to make AMD graphics cards look better.

Just now, manikyath said:

here's the issue: what you're somehow hoping on, is magic. it is not something that can work in this world. maybe they could on paper make such a thing, but it would be such hell to get into the mainstream that even nvidia would go bankrupt pushing the product before it got adopted.

Well yes, its just a theory, probably wont ever happen.

19 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Wouldn't a Nvidia CPU be a great idea?

More competition is always a good idea. I don't see why one from Nvidia in particular would be better than any other company. 

19 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

I mean, if they made a CPU that would somehow increase the performance and compatibility, of say, the RTX 2080, while also being made for mostly gaming, that would be awesome!

You mean like every single CPU that supports PCIe, and therefore has no issues with compatibility with the RTX 2080? What CPU performs better in a certain game depends on the game in question. You can't just make a CPU just for gaming, without it being a general purpose CPU.

Then there's the actual issues of getting a license to produce x86-64 CPUs. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Yea, it already exists. It is called Nvidia Tegra.

It most notably powered:

• Zune HD
  • A number of Android tablets
  • Surface non-Pro 1 and 2
  • All Shield devices
  • Nintendo Switch

Not to mention it is used in a number of cars.

It can technically also run Windows 10 on ARM if Nvidia feels like making drivers for the OS, espeically that, because it shares the same FULL GeForce architecture, can run DirectX. But so far, only Qualcomm is working with Microsoft.

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

You mean Tegra competition or the crapy nvidia chipsets for intel cpus? xD

And CPU with a gpu is called APU. It is nice but never took off.

The Tegras were just ARM CPUs with Nvidia's GPU stuff. 

The APU is an AMD thing, I believe. Raven Ridge could be called an APU, But I don't think AMD calls them APUs. 

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

APU is not amd exclusive. It is the idea that you can move operations from gpu to the cpu without performance penalty like PCIE gives you. Sounds great since gpu love parallelization and cpu can handle single threated task better then gpus but it never took off.

Meant to mean an AMD thing as in an AMD naming thing. 

If someone cares about performance, they would probably get a dGPU. And then there's the issue of both the CPU and GPU portion sharing the same RAM. AMD never had any desktop APUs that performed well enough for them to replace mid-high end GPUs. Just some thoughts about why it never took off on desktop. 

I'm fairly sure the consoles use what's essentially an APU, with the CPU and GPU on the same die, sharing the same RAM. 

53 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Wouldn't a Nvidia CPU be a great idea? I mean, if they made a CPU that would somehow increase the performance and compatibility, of say, the RTX 2080, while also being made for mostly gaming, that would be awesome!

As mentioned, NVIDIA has made system-on-chips with a CPU and all that. However to add on top of that, they developed their own CPU not based on something existing called Project Denver. It implements the ARMv8 architecture, but previous system-on-chips used basically ARM reference designs for the CPU.

They're also making a new CPU based on the RISC-V architecture for doing what you're asking, though on a more generic level:

Edited by M.Yurizaki

53 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Wouldn't a Nvidia CPU be a great idea? 

No, it would not be great.

You want to see Game Features that are locked to a CPU?
Do you want to fragment the Market further, where you can use one set of features for one System and all others are second class Gamers?

I don't...

Read up on the Gameworks shit for example...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"